Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

good receivers/entry 5.1 systems/ places to shop online?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

good receivers/entry 5.1 systems/ places to shop online?

Old 10-28-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

entry level sony turner

Looking to spend as little money as possible, and still have 5.1 and around 500 watts - what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do you need a complete system (with speakers) or just the receiver?

If it's just the receiver, in that price range I'd stay away from the Sony, and look at the Onkyo 595, the Outlaw 1050, or one of the comparably priced Marantz or Denon models.

If you need speakers, too, I'd suggest an Onkyo 494, and look into the PSB Alpha line for your speakers. They can be found for pretty cheap, and are MUCH better than the stuff you're going to get from a home theater in a box system.

Last edited by edclem; 10-29-01 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-29-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: entry level sony turner

Originally posted by jasonr114

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?
No. I believe you would be much happier in the long run by buying a Onkyo 494 and PSB Alpha speakers like Ed suggested. Sony receivers are average IMO, and brands like Onkyo, Denon, Outlaw Audio, and Marantz are far superior.

If you are actually looking for a nice $500 tuner, try the Rotel RT-955.
Old 10-29-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Keep in mind that the words "tuner" and "receiver" are not interchangable. A tuner is a component that receives AM and FM radio. A receiver is a tuner, preamplifier and power amplifier combined.

It sounds to me like you're looking for a receiver. Let me be the third person to steer you away from Sony and towards Onkyo.
Old 10-29-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I would recommend a Sony over the other available brands is when you see the little

ES on it.

Onkyo and even Yamaha make nice receiver packages in your price range
Old 10-29-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just order an Outlaw. I have yet to see anyone speak ill of their stuff. The price is right in there for you too.
Old 10-29-01, 09:07 PM

where to buy

good places online to shop for a receiver?
Old 10-29-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hifi.com is the only authorized e-tailer for Marantz. They also sell the Onkyo line.
outlawaudio.com is the only place you can buy an Outlaw 1050.
crutchfield.com carries Onkyo and Denon.

There are plenty of other bargain sites (and I'm sure others will chime in on them) Personally, I prefer to go the route of purchasing only from authorized dealers in the unlikely event that I'll need service.
Old 10-30-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: where to buy

good places online to shop for a receiver?
I got a sweet deal on a refurb Onkyo 484 (last year's model, only missing DPL2 and S-Video Switching) at ubid.com

There are also many sities like shopping.yahoo.com , www.pricegrabber.com , and www.pricescan.com that allow you to compare prices.

Last edited by skar; 10-30-01 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-30-01, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Looking to spend as little money as possible, and still have 5.1 and around 500 watts - what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Thanks in advance.
If you need speakers for starters look at the Home Theater in a Box packs that have a standard receiver from that company's line up. The speakers could be upgraded later but you still have a good receiver. Lots of these have cost reduced special recievers but some have good recievers straight from the company's lineup.
Old 10-31-01, 04:09 AM
wiz

Re: Re: where to buy

Originally posted by skar

I got a sweet deal on a refurb Onkyo 484 (last year's model, only missing DPL2 and S-Video Switching) at ubid.com

There are also many sities like shopping.yahoo.com , www.pricegrabber.com , and www.pricescan.com that allow you to compare prices.
I'm with Skar, I got my Onkyo 484 at ubid.com for $144 about a month and a half ago. Great receiver, it's my first.
Old 11-03-01, 12:09 AM

thanks

OK, first off i want to thank everyone for all the help with my questions.

The info on receivers was great, and i must say that www.pricescan.com is f'in amazing!

Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony - so i am kinda headed in that direction - i am looking closely at the STRDE975, 875, & 1075 - these are not ES - but i have been led to belive that these tuners have alot of parts that go into ES models - is this true? They range in price from 291-434

Does anyone have these Sony tuners? If so any pointers, recommendations, or warnings?

I am also looking at Denon receivers - with regards to the Denon receivers - what models what be comparable to the Sony models i have listed above?

Finally - since i have decided to skip a HTIB setup - i am termporailty using surronds and fronts that my buddy has since upgraded, but will need to buy a sub - this sub should do me for awhile - at least 2 years - i want to spend less then $300 on it - does anyonehave any recommendations for a sub?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Old 11-03-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: thanks

OK, first off i want to thank everyone for all the help with my questions.

The info on receivers was great, and i must say that www.pricescan.com is f'in amazing!

Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony - so i am kinda headed in that direction - i am looking closely at the STRDE975, 875, & 1075 - these are not ES - but i have been led to belive that these tuners have alot of parts that go into ES models - is this true? They range in price from 291-434

Does anyone have these Sony tuners? If so any pointers, recommendations, or warnings?

I am also looking at Denon receivers - with regards to the Denon receivers - what models what be comparable to the Sony models i have listed above?

Finally - since i have decided to skip a HTIB setup - i am termporailty using surronds and fronts that my buddy has since upgraded, but will need to buy a sub - this sub should do me for awhile - at least 2 years - i want to spend less then $300 on it - does anyonehave any recommendations for a sub?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
No!!!!!!

The DE line from Sony has very little whatsoever to do with the ES line. What you are looking for is the DB line instead.

The DB line costs more than the DE, but gives you beefier amplifiers, better connections, and looks similar to the ES line.

I am still using a DB830 and have been extremely happy with the receiver. Whenn looking for a DB receiver, remember that their model numbers end with a 0 such as 830 where as the lesser DE model will end with a 5 such as DE835.

J
Old 11-03-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: thanks

Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony
Ahhh. The power of marketing. The bottom end Sony receivers are very poor values. They have had problems with noise and quality. There are much better uses for your money. Onkyo will beat the daylights out of the Sonys in the sub-$300 price range.