Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

good receivers/entry 5.1 systems/ places to shop online?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

good receivers/entry 5.1 systems/ places to shop online?

Old 10-28-01, 06:39 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 3,055
entry level sony turner

Looking to spend as little money as possible, and still have 5.1 and around 500 watts - what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Sloth911 is offline  
Old 10-28-01, 09:34 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,864
do you need a complete system (with speakers) or just the receiver?

If it's just the receiver, in that price range I'd stay away from the Sony, and look at the Onkyo 595, the Outlaw 1050, or one of the comparably priced Marantz or Denon models.

If you need speakers, too, I'd suggest an Onkyo 494, and look into the PSB Alpha line for your speakers. They can be found for pretty cheap, and are MUCH better than the stuff you're going to get from a home theater in a box system.

Last edited by edclem; 10-29-01 at 09:30 PM.
edclem is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 01:29 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,644
Re: entry level sony turner

Originally posted by jasonr114

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?
No. I believe you would be much happier in the long run by buying a Onkyo 494 and PSB Alpha speakers like Ed suggested. Sony receivers are average IMO, and brands like Onkyo, Denon, Outlaw Audio, and Marantz are far superior.

If you are actually looking for a nice $500 tuner, try the Rotel RT-955.
skar is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 02:23 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Re: entry level sony turner

Originally posted by jasonr114
...what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?
Keep in mind that the words "tuner" and "receiver" are not interchangable. A tuner is a component that receives AM and FM radio. A receiver is a tuner, preamplifier and power amplifier combined.

It sounds to me like you're looking for a receiver. Let me be the third person to steer you away from Sony and towards Onkyo.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 07:38 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
The only time I would recommend a Sony over the other available brands is when you see the little

ES on it.

Onkyo and even Yamaha make nice receiver packages in your price range
Thunderball is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 08:36 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: cleveland, oh USA
Posts: 1,062
Just order an Outlaw. I have yet to see anyone speak ill of their stuff. The price is right in there for you too.
svadas is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 09:07 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 3,055
where to buy

good places online to shop for a receiver?
Sloth911 is offline  
Old 10-29-01, 09:28 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,864
hifi.com is the only authorized e-tailer for Marantz. They also sell the Onkyo line.
outlawaudio.com is the only place you can buy an Outlaw 1050.
crutchfield.com carries Onkyo and Denon.

There are plenty of other bargain sites (and I'm sure others will chime in on them) Personally, I prefer to go the route of purchasing only from authorized dealers in the unlikely event that I'll need service.
edclem is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 10:30 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,644
Re: where to buy

Originally posted by jasonr114
good places online to shop for a receiver?
I got a sweet deal on a refurb Onkyo 484 (last year's model, only missing DPL2 and S-Video Switching) at ubid.com

There are also many sities like shopping.yahoo.com , www.pricegrabber.com , and www.pricescan.com that allow you to compare prices.

Last edited by skar; 10-30-01 at 12:23 PM.
skar is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 11:26 AM
  #10  
Premium Member
 
bfrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 20,623
Re: entry level sony turner

Originally posted by jasonr114
Looking to spend as little money as possible, and still have 5.1 and around 500 watts - what would be the best enrtry level sony tuner to buy?

Are the package deals for under $500 with all the speakers worth @ best buy worth it?

Thanks in advance.
If you need speakers for starters look at the Home Theater in a Box packs that have a standard receiver from that company's line up. The speakers could be upgraded later but you still have a good receiver. Lots of these have cost reduced special recievers but some have good recievers straight from the company's lineup.
bfrank is offline  
Old 10-31-01, 04:09 AM
  #11  
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 3,130
Re: Re: where to buy

Originally posted by skar


I got a sweet deal on a refurb Onkyo 484 (last year's model, only missing DPL2 and S-Video Switching) at ubid.com

There are also many sities like shopping.yahoo.com , www.pricegrabber.com , and www.pricescan.com that allow you to compare prices.
I'm with Skar, I got my Onkyo 484 at ubid.com for $144 about a month and a half ago. Great receiver, it's my first.
wiz is offline  
Old 11-03-01, 12:09 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 3,055
thanks

OK, first off i want to thank everyone for all the help with my questions.

The info on receivers was great, and i must say that www.pricescan.com is f'in amazing!

Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony - so i am kinda headed in that direction - i am looking closely at the STRDE975, 875, & 1075 - these are not ES - but i have been led to belive that these tuners have alot of parts that go into ES models - is this true? They range in price from 291-434

Does anyone have these Sony tuners? If so any pointers, recommendations, or warnings?

I am also looking at Denon receivers - with regards to the Denon receivers - what models what be comparable to the Sony models i have listed above?

Finally - since i have decided to skip a HTIB setup - i am termporailty using surronds and fronts that my buddy has since upgraded, but will need to buy a sub - this sub should do me for awhile - at least 2 years - i want to spend less then $300 on it - does anyonehave any recommendations for a sub?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Sloth911 is offline  
Old 11-03-01, 02:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,447
Re: thanks

Originally posted by jasonr114
OK, first off i want to thank everyone for all the help with my questions.

The info on receivers was great, and i must say that www.pricescan.com is f'in amazing!

Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony - so i am kinda headed in that direction - i am looking closely at the STRDE975, 875, & 1075 - these are not ES - but i have been led to belive that these tuners have alot of parts that go into ES models - is this true? They range in price from 291-434

Does anyone have these Sony tuners? If so any pointers, recommendations, or warnings?

I am also looking at Denon receivers - with regards to the Denon receivers - what models what be comparable to the Sony models i have listed above?

Finally - since i have decided to skip a HTIB setup - i am termporailty using surronds and fronts that my buddy has since upgraded, but will need to buy a sub - this sub should do me for awhile - at least 2 years - i want to spend less then $300 on it - does anyonehave any recommendations for a sub?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
No!!!!!!

The DE line from Sony has very little whatsoever to do with the ES line. What you are looking for is the DB line instead.

The DB line costs more than the DE, but gives you beefier amplifiers, better connections, and looks similar to the ES line.

I am still using a DB830 and have been extremely happy with the receiver. Whenn looking for a DB receiver, remember that their model numbers end with a 0 such as 830 where as the lesser DE model will end with a 5 such as DE835.

J
Master J is offline  
Old 11-03-01, 10:46 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,358
Re: thanks

Originally posted by jasonr114


Well, blame it on the commericials, but ever since my first walkman i have had an affinity for sony
Ahhh. The power of marketing. The bottom end Sony receivers are very poor values. They have had problems with noise and quality. There are much better uses for your money. Onkyo will beat the daylights out of the Sonys in the sub-$300 price range.
nekobus is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.