Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can someone help/explaine this to me? (about TV Picture)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-28-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK bear with me here, I just discovered this and it is bugging the hell out of me. I have a 27" Philips/Magnavox TV with S Video. I have a Toshiba SD 2109 DVD player. I noticed this the other day while watching Starship Troopers, at the very end of the movie at about 1:59:02 the message of "They'll Keep Fighting" comes on the screen on my TV the "T" from that message is almost all the way cut off I can barely see the "T" so basically the message looks like "Hey'll Keep Fighting". Now that kinda freeked me out thinking that the widescreen picture wasn't as wide as it should be. So I put it in my DVD rom and played that scene and the whole message shows up. Now I would say that my TV is cutting off about and inch for sure on the left side and about the same on the right side. I then went and compared some other scenes and he same thing happens. Not just with this DVD though it does it with all I have tried. Why would my TV be cutting off and inch or so from each side of the screen. I have the settings on the DVD plalyer set to 4:3 Letterbox like it says... Is it maybe because a TV is only set-up for Letterbox and not true widescreen? If so I guess a 16:9 TV is going to be purchsed sooner than I can afford. It sure bugs me though that even though the DVD is in widescreen I STILL am getting some material cut off of the sides. I really doubt that I am missing anything that critical but it bugs me just the same. I really appreciate any help/advice anyone can give.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds to me like your TV is exhibiting what is known as overscan. This means the electron guns are projecting beyond the edges of the screen.

All TVs exhibit some degree of overscan, but some are way off. If you have the Avia Guide to Home Theater test DVD, there are test patterns that will show you exactly what percentage of overscan your TV has.

This is something that can be easily adjusted by a service technician. It can be done by accessing the TV's service mode. Some people have done it themselves successfully, but others only succeeded in screwing up their TV's geometry.

I can't imagine a repair guy charging more than about $20 to adjust this. If your TV is still under warranty, call the place you bought it from. If it's out of warranty, call around to a couple of locally-owned repair shops.
Old 10-29-01, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man most of the places I called basically had no clue!! I will have to try the manufacture of the TV although I am not looking forward to being on hold for hours.....
Old 10-29-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My cheapo 25" Signature 2000 (Montgomery Wards brand) that I have, has had that problem since I bought it.

It's hard to read tickers at the bottom of the screen. Edges cut off on widescreen movies.

I've learned to live with it!