DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV: To buy or not to buy?

Old 10-27-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDTV: To buy or not to buy?

I have been waiting for what seems like forever for Sony to put out an affordable widescreen TV. They finally did and I can get their new 57 inch widescreen delivered from ABC Warehouse for about $2800.00, but... The studios recently announced new standards for receiving the highest quality images through HDTV. The new standards basicly say that in order for your TV to recieve the highest resoultion possible for movies on HBO etc., PPV, and most sattelite channels, you have to have a firewire connection on your tv, otherwise the program gets broacast in standard resolution 480P (I think). They are doing this to prevent consumers from making perfect copies of their properties. There is even a possibility that future DVD players will come with Firewire outputs for connection to your TV. Here is the problem, Sonys new set does not have firewire inputs. Without these inputs your tv will be basicly obsolete in a few years unless Sony releases some kind of adapter. Sonys XBR series widescreens have firewire connections, but at this point nothing works with them, not even their own camcorders.

Anyone have any more info or opinions? What is the possibilty that Sony or other compaies will release some kind of adapter?
Old 10-27-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: HDTV: To buy or not to buy?

Originally posted by Bcolon
What is the possibilty that Sony or other compaies will release some kind of adapter?
With the millions of HD sets already in households and the countless more they will sell before this mess is worked out they will have to provide adapters.
Old 10-29-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: HDTV: To buy or not to buy?

Originally posted by bmello

With the millions of HD sets already in households
You're kidding right?
I sincerely doubt that HD sales have reached that level yet.
Old 10-30-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you combine HD and HD Ready sets, and you consider the fact that they have been on the market since late '98, I would say a total sales number in the millions is pretty reasonable,