DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just got a Sony 36FS17 TV----->

Old 10-25-01, 01:39 PM

Just got a Sony 36FS17 TV----->

I bought it at Best Buy. They had it advertised for 1399. I saw it online at crazyeddie for $1194, and the price matched it. I also got a free leather chair (store promotion), and 12 months to pay for it interest free. They also threw in a 4 yr extended warrantee (will replace if it can't be fixed at home) for 99 bucks! I am satisfied with that deal.

The TV is great! I was going to go for a 43", but I decided I didn't want to have to throw out my new entertainment unit and then buy a separate stereo cabinet. The TV looks much bigger in my Apartment than it did in the store. My viewing distance is about 12 feet, and this TV is a perfect size.

The picture is great. My cable connection is not the best, but DVD's look wonderful. I hooked my Toshiba DVD to it using component Video cables and the colors are fantastic. I also like the 16x9 mode of the sony, it gives a much sharper picture. I am still playing with the settings, I don't care much for the presets it has. VIVID preset is too sharp, and MOVIE preset is too dark and soft. I tried to make a new one in the middle. I should probably get DVD essentials soon, to aid in this.

I just wanted to say that I highly recommend this TV. I never thought I would use picture in picture, but when the NY Yankee playoffs were on and we also wanted to scan the Giants game, it came in handy last week. The remote is ok, it could be a little simpler to use, and light up a bit better, but I can't complain. Also, the sound is great, very good bass, and loud volume. Of couse DVD's go through my Onkyo 575, and Klipch Speakers......

If you buy this TV, you can't go wrong. Make sure you print out Crazzy Eddie's price though, and get the price match whereever you buy it!
Old 10-25-01, 07:30 PM

Re: Just got a Sony 36FS17 TV----->

Originally posted by Morrow373
I bought it at Best Buy. They had it advertised for 1399. I saw it online at crazyeddie for $1194, and the price matched it. I also got a free leather chair (store promotion), and 12 months to pay for it interest free. They also threw in a 4 yr extended warrantee (will replace if it can't be fixed at home) for 99 bucks! I am satisfied with that deal.
*snip*
Congratulations on what sounds like a pretty good deal! I like the anamorphic squeeze bit that it does.

BTW - If you mean "Video Essentials" (rather than "DVD Essentials) then you might like Avia better. I've got both, and at the very least the Avia disk is much easier to navigate.

Now I'm speaking of the original versions of the disks. I've read that both are being updated and re released, but I don't know when they're supposed to come out. For all I know, they already have.

I also don't know what the updates are going to be. Neither of mine directly address an anamorphic display, so that would be a welcome change. The other would be to make Video Essentials a lot more user freindly to get around in. I suppose if I weren't so lazy it wouldn't be all that hard to find out sniffing around the web.

Anyway - enjoy the new TV!
Old 10-26-01, 12:50 PM

Thanks! I will consider both.....

Also, the 16x9 mode on the TV only works when you select 16x9 TV shape on the DVD player, otherwise it squeezes it down too much......
Old 10-26-01, 04:03 PM
Banned

I thought I was the one person who found Video Essentials almost impossible to mavigate through! Is Avia really supposed to be that much easier? Also, has anyones used V.E with a Wega? Did it really make that much of a difference? My main problem seems to be that dark backgrounds appear to be shimmering. Light backgrounds look crystal clear though.
Old 10-26-01, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Gabe666
I thought I was the one person who found Video Essentials almost impossible to mavigate through! Is Avia really supposed to be that much easier? Also, has anyones used V.E with a Wega? Did it really make that much of a difference? My main problem seems to be that dark backgrounds appear to be shimmering. Light backgrounds look crystal clear though.
Naaaa. I'm not afraid to admit I keep on getting lost in VE. The stuff with chapters within titles, and having to mark loops for test signals really bugs me. Hopefully, next release will make more sense.

Avia is a lot easier, and more menu driven (Guess it's the menu that makes it easier.) If nothing else, there's no need to mark start/stop points when working with dynamic stuff like speaker level adjustments. Pretty much bounce to the bit you want by selecting a test off of a menu. Once in the test, you can move around to different segments of the test using chapter forward/reverse (like moving the test tone to another speaker).

I would expect to see some difference calibrating just about any set. No idea about your shimmering blacks though. As a pure WAG, what are your contrast/brightness settings?