DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best portable DVD player for the money?

Old 10-24-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best portable DVD player for the money?

I am considering getting a portable DVD player to use at work during my 3 hour break in my spilit shift. I don't have a lot of money, so I was thinking what's the best DVD player for the buck with a screen and without a screen? I work in a TV station, so there's no shortage of screens, but a screen would be nice. It would also be nice if it were region free or easy or cheap to make region free.

If no one feels like telling me, please at least let me know of another site to ask this. I remember there was some web site that had educated reviews of just about every home theater piece of equipment...
Old 10-24-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are already several threads on this topic. Here is what a search returned. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....der=descending
Old 10-24-01, 08:52 AM
Li

AAHHH! Not more portable DVD! NOOOOOOO! ...............

Anyway, the cheapest players obviously are going to have the smallest screen, but that's not really a big deal.

You can get 5" portables off Ebay for around $300. Search for

Panasonic L50 (3.5 hour battery) (smaller- the size of a CD case!)

and

Panasonic LV55 (4 hour battery) (still very small- the size of a DVD case)

If all you can find on Ebay is used players, and don't want to take that chance, http://www.costco.com has the LV55 for $400.

If you can spend a little more, and would like a bigger screen, Costco.com also has the Sharp DV-L80U for $550 It has an 8" screen.

A friend of mine has the L50 and it's definitely a nice player. The screen really isn't as unwatchable as you'd think. I didn't even have a trouble reading subtitled anime, as I though I might.

Personally, I just bought an LV60 from Best Buy, on sale, for $518. It's a really nice player, and has a 5.8" screen. I'm still thinking about returning it though. I just sold my old collection of VHS tapes for $400 (well, there's still 3.5 days left on the auction, so it might even go up) and with that money and the money I bought my player with, I might be able to get a nice laptop. But I don't know. I really like my LV60 and I've used it a lot over the past few days. I've still yet to decide what I'm going to do.

Hope I've helped. I've done an unbelievable amount of research on these [stupid] things before deciding which one to get for myself.
Old 10-24-01, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Asked and answered.

Please use one of the ongoing discussions, e.g.,
this one.

Thanks.

-stevevt