DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I keep or return this open-box TV?

Old 10-23-01, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

Should I keep or return this open-box TV?

Hi,

I was doing my usual window-shopping on Best Buy TV's today, when I came across this Sharp 27" open-box display unit. It had some pretty good features - digital comb filter, PIP (not useful to me but still cool), S-video in, and component inputs. It had been marked down to $150 because the side bezels were badly damaged. The rep (when he finally got around to helping me) told me a customer had dropped the unit in the store. I looked it over and it looked only cosmetic, the picture tube and sound didn't appear to be damaged in any way. Anyway, I took the chance and bought it, since it had a 30-day return policy on it. When I got it home, everything worked, but I'm getting this louder-than-normal electrical buzzing sound from the back of the unit while it's on. It's not that bad, but noticeable enough when the volume is low. My previous TV's have had their own share of ambient noise, so I'm not sure if this sound is normal or caused by the impact. I'm basically wondering if I should return it. I don't want to go back to my 19" TV (DVD never looked better to me) but I don't want this thing to die on me in a few months either. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you're concerned enough to post, I think the peace of mind is worth the extra $.

while I have no experience with this set...electrical buzzing doesn't sound right to me. If it was indeed dropped, there's a good chance some of the internal componentry was damaged/shaken loose.

Personally, I'd probably take it back.

YMMV
Old 10-24-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Humming/buzzing could indicate a damaged flyback, but I think you'd notice it in the picture. I'd still return it though just incase something is about to die for good.
Old 10-24-01, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good idea. Because this unit was dropped, the manufacturer's warranty may not apply as it might be considered "abuse".
Old 10-24-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would take it back ASAP. I have heard televisions that have had loud humming before, and once you notice it, it will always be there as a distraction. Not to mention the set was dropped on the floor which is never a good thing.

Get a refund, and then save up another hundred dollars of so and get a Toshiba with component inputs if you are on a tight budget.

J
Old 10-24-01, 09:34 PM

I bought a open-box Sony Wega a while ago at Circuit City and after taking it home and using it for a couple of days, I noticed that it took forever for picture to show up on the screen, like upwards of 20 minuntes. Anyway, i took it back to them, and they repaired it free of charge. Had for almost 2 years now and no other problems. Ask and see if they're fix it for you as covered by their warrenty. Worth a shot. Otherwise, take it back and get the new 40" Sony XBR. I absolutely love this TV.
Old 10-24-01, 11:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

My TV buzzed ... but only when I plugged RCA cables to audio out on the TV to hook up to my stereo.

Do you have anything plugged into the TV besides Cable In and DVD In?
Old 10-25-01, 12:45 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for your replies. I took the TV back tonight and got a refund. I guess I'll be using my RCA 19" until around January or February when my financial aid comes in. BB had a Panasonic 27" with 3-line comb filter and component inputs for $299 (normally $329). I had to leave before I could pull out my credit card

namja - The TV buzzed even without any components plugged in. It sounded like something was loose near the power supply, like the buzzing of one of those old electric clocks.
Old 10-25-01, 02:21 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by yellowperil
namja - The TV buzzed even without any components plugged in. It sounded like something was loose near the power supply, like the buzzing of one of those old electric clocks.
those really suck.

well, hope you can get a new tv soon. next semester isn't too far away. oh, and while you're at it, why not bump up to 32"?