DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What Progressive Scan DVD Player to buy for my HDTV?

Old 10-23-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Progressive Scan DVD Player to buy for my HDTV?

Hello, I just got my 47" Panasonic HDTV today and want a nice progressive scan DVD Player to go along with it. My only limitations are that it has to be bought at Circuit City, and that I have a spending Limit od ~$300. Here are some ones that I found on their site that they should have at the B+M.

SONY DVPNS700P - $299.99
JVC XVS65GD - $229.99
PANASONIC DVDRP56 - $229.99
ZENITH - DVD2381 - $199.99
APEX AD800 - $159.99

I would rather not go with the apex or the zenith, dont really like them. What is the best t o get for my money, I want good Progressive scan quality, i have a separte DD/DTS Decoder so I only need Coax output, I dont have optical inputs on my reciever for DVD. I would like to buy it after work today, like in 3 hours so any input before then would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

JON
Old 10-23-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree about ruling out the Apex and Zenith.

That leaves:

SONY DVPNS700P
JVC XVS65GD
PANASONIC DVDRP56

You can rule out the Panasonic since it only has and optical digital output; otherwise, this would probably be your best bet.

That leaves:

SONY DVPNS700P
JVC XVS65GD

Of those two, I'd recommend the Sony. It's probably worth $70 more than the JVC, just based on build quality.
Old 10-23-01, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
I agree about ruling out the Apex and Zenith.

That leaves:

SONY DVPNS700P
JVC XVS65GD

Of those two, I'd recommend the Sony. It's probably worth $70 more than the JVC, just based on build quality.
Actually - I'd recommend the JVC, because the Sony has the chroma bug, and the JVC doesn't. And you'd save $70 to boot.

(Hope I'm not in trouble for disagreeing with a mod. )
Old 10-23-01, 02:35 PM

I 100% recommend the JVC over Sony, but The JVC I'd get is one step up from the 65, the XV-SA70BK (75 is you want it in gold). That and the Panasonic RP-56 are the best Prog Scan players out there in this price range. The Sony is overpriced, and offers nothing over the JVC.

It can be had for $235 shipped from vanns.com using their $25 off $239 coupon
Old 10-23-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it matters, the JVC also plays MP3 CDs. I don't think the Sony does.
Old 10-23-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Janitor

Actually - I'd recommend the JVC, because the Sony has the chroma bug, and the JVC doesn't. And you'd save $70 to boot.

(Hope I'm not in trouble for disagreeing with a mod. )
Well, you do agree that we can rule out the Panasonic, right?

I guess the question is trying to weigh the chroma problem against the best guess as to the time difference in how long each of these players will continue working. Understandably, people have different priorities.

In all seriousness... When I'm not wearing my Mod Hat, my opinions here aren't worth any more or less than anybody else's.
Old 10-23-01, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

In all seriousness... When I'm not wearing my Mod Hat, my opinions here aren't worth any more or less than anybody else's.
In all seriousness...even when you are wearing the mod hat....

Too bad you could not get the Panasonic and change the receiver.
Old 10-23-01, 02:51 PM

Well, you do agree that we can rule out the Panasonic, right?

I guess the question is trying to weigh the chroma problem against the best guess as to the time difference in how long each of these players will continue working. Understandably, people have different priorities.
Yes. We can rule out the Panny. While it did merit the smiley, I do have to note that the Panasonic seems to be the one to beat. At least as far as the progressive section of the player is concerned.

But - unfortunatly, the Panasonic lacks the coax output (a surprise to me), and it also lacks in the ability to scale the output image. Don't know anything at all about how the Sony handles output format, but the JVC scales the image VERY well. Not important for many users, but some TVs lock in format with any progressive input.

How long the JVC will last, is left to be seen. Certainly, next to my Sony (DVP-S7700) it feels very much like a toy. We'll see. (actually, I guess I should hope that we dont see. )

For what it's worth - I was able to compare my Sony (again, the 7700) against the my JVC, and losing the chroma bug made a world of difference in picture quality. For me, going from interlaced to progressive input was not at all subtle, and I attribuite it to the issue of the chroma bug.

*phew* Dodged a bullet.

Last edited by Janitor; 10-23-01 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do have optical ins on my reciever, just not labled DVD, its for TV optical in. its the technics sadx-930 (i will get a better one soon, i know) . If you can guarentee me that it is fine to use that optical input and just set the reciever to TV and still get the same 5.1 sound maybe i'll get the panasonic, or is the panasonic a bad choice, i would rather not have a bug in my player like the Chroma one in the Sony. How is the progressive scan conversion in the panasonic as appose to the sony?

EDIT: MP3 playing is not a concern for me, dont really need it

Last edited by habers; 10-23-01 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone? Im 95% sure I'll be fine going into the TV Optical input oon the reciever, I just want to be sure before buying the panny.
Old 10-23-01, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by habers
anyone? Im 95% sure I'll be fine going into the TV Optical input oon the reciever, I just want to be sure before buying the panny.
I suspect that you'll be fine. Where would you be buying it? Most places allow a 30 day trial I believe.
Old 10-23-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm 98% sure you will be fine. Plus you said you are going to upgrade your receiver soon anyway. May I suggest a nice low to mid end Onkyo or Denon.
Old 10-23-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Panasonic 56.....nice little unit, and exceptional for the price.
True, the lack of a coax digital output is annoying, but it's not an insurmountable problem.
Old 10-24-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Panny for 179.00 at CC B+M. The optical isnt bad, I kinda like it, I plugged it into my TV/DSS input on my reciever and it works great! All I need to do now is Tweak the picture on my TV with Avia and I should be all set. Out of the box the TV looked great, but I can see were it needs improvements. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-01, 02:12 PM

Glad to hear you're up and running. That's a really good price on that machine.

I didn't think you'd have a problem using the optical connection. And while coax is theoreticaly better than optical, I think that any "hearable" differences are probably left for the golden ears out there. Certainly, I'm not one of them. I've used both connections and myself, I've not heard the difference.

Of course, I don't run Krell class 'A' power, Logan converters, etc.

Nice player - enjoy it.
Old 10-25-01, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which player has a better picture when using the S-Video connection????? The JVC or the Panny?? I would like to prepare and get a progressive player, but in the mean time i'd like the best one that has a good pic from the s-video hookup. Thanks
Old 10-25-01, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Which player has a better picture when using the S-Video connection????? The JVC or the Panny?? I would like to prepare and get a progressive player, but in the mean time i'd like the best one that has a good pic from the s-video hookup. Thanks
Boy - that's a good question. I don't know for sure, but I *suspect* that you'd be hard pressed to tell the differences between the Panny and the JVC using s-video. The primary place (I'm aware of) the Panny is supposed to work better, is in it's detection of film vs. video source, and it's 3:2 pulldown based on that detection. (The Panny has the Farudjo Sage chip in it).

But ... if you're using s-video, then the 3:2 pulldown doesn't enter into the picture ( ) for you. Maybe you can get a friendly salesman to hook them both up in turn to the same display to check them out. We all know the display will probably be very poorly adjusted, but at least it will be off the same way for both machines.

I'd guess you'd be happy with either. Both with, or w/o using progressive. I use the JVC and I lilke it fine. I can overcome it's film/video detection manually if needed and from there it looks great. Neither of the machines you're looking at have the "chroma bug".

Good call on picking up progressive now. At least in this price range it no longer seems to really cost any more than an interlaced player.
Old 10-25-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info Janitor. It's nice to finally get a response that is informative and from someone who understands what i am talking about. It's very hard to get someone to help with my player issues. Thanks for the help Janitor. I think i will be going for the JVC, it's less than the Panny 91 and has dvd audio as well.
Old 10-25-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think i will be going for the JVC, it's less than the Panny 91 and has dvd audio as well.
The JVC XV-S65GD doesn't do DVD-Audio.
Old 10-25-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you are right, but the JVC XV SA70BK or 75GD has DVD-Audio
Old 10-25-01, 04:22 PM
PTS

Panny rp56

Janitor, have a question! If I have a mitsu HD 55705 (where in the progessive hookup) it locks into "full" mode, when using a non anomorphic dvd, what exactly occurs on the screen? Does it show it in 4:3?? WHat "exactly" does it mean it will go into full screen? and with anormorphic dvd it will stay in 1:85???
If most of my dvd's are anomorphic, and most of my future tv watching will be HD, OTA and Direct , dont worry about the "full " mode lock in? What does the panny rp91 do exactly , when it scales a non anomorphic dvd?
Old 10-25-01, 04:26 PM
PTS

Panny 56 price

Habers, cant believe you were able to get the panny rp 56 for $179 at B&M CC! whoa, much dickering going on with the saleperson? suprised you were able to get it that low. New in the box? Great it you did!!! Let me know your secret!!!!!
Old 10-25-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Panny 56 price

Originally posted by PTS
Habers, cant believe you were able to get the panny rp 56 for $179 at B&M CC! whoa, much dickering going on with the saleperson? suprised you were able to get it that low. New in the box? Great it you did!!! Let me know your secret!!!!!
I was returning my Sony dvp300ns that wasnt progressive scan that I bought 1 day before I decided to take the plunga and buy the HDTV. The player was marked the ~$230, but he did an even swap for the sony which I paid 179 for. Pretty cool, maybe he didnt even realize it, maybe he did....i didn't ask
Old 10-25-01, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the info Janitor. It's nice to finally get a response that is informative and from someone who understands what i am talking about. It's very hard to get someone to help with my player issues. Thanks for the help Janitor. I think i will be going for the JVC, it's less than the Panny 91 and has dvd audio as well.
You're welcome.

I'm pretty happy to be able to contribute.

FWIW - If you were to consider a Panasonic, the one you really would want would be the 56, not the 91. The 91 is supposedly a pretty nice machine, but it's a bunch more $$$ than the 56, and it doesn't use the Faroudjo chip. It's that chip which differentiates the Panny 56 from the rest of (today's) lower cost field.

BTW - The Panasonic 56 doesn't have DVD Audio. And (as I see you know already from a later post) the JVC xv-s60 doesn't either.

Last edited by Janitor; 10-25-01 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 05:53 PM

Re: Panny rp56

Originally posted by PTS
Janitor, have a question! If I have a mitsu HD 55705 (where in the progessive hookup) it locks into "full" mode, when using a non anomorphic dvd, what exactly occurs on the screen? Does it show it in 4:3?? WHat "exactly" does it mean it will go into full screen? and with anormorphic dvd it will stay in 1:85???
If most of my dvd's are anomorphic, and most of my future tv watching will be HD, OTA and Direct , dont worry about the "full " mode lock in? What does the panny rp91 do exactly , when it scales a non anomorphic dvd?
Some displays (like yours) will lock into what Mits calls "standard" format with any progressive signal, on any of its componant inputs.

What you end up with when viewing a non anamorphic letterboxed movie, is the picture is expanded to fill the display horizontaly, but not verticaly. For a non anamorphic disk, you want either "narrow" or "expand" for a format.

With a 4:3 disk (like any TV show you've collected), you'll have the same problem. It will be expanded in the horizontal direction, not the vertical. Very strange and basicaly unwatchable format. BTW- this isn't just a DVD problem. If you use an external line doubler on your DSS signal you'll have the same issues if your doubler can't scale the output.

You can 'play' with this yourself. Pop in a non anamorphic or a 4:3 disk and leave your TV in "standard" format. No need to have a progressive signal to see how format on your display works.

This is the problem with trying to use a DVD player that doesn't scale the output. The Panny RP56 will not scale, so you'll end up with the problems described above. The JVC puts black bars on the sides of a 4:3 source and outputs a 1.85:1 signal to your TV. It will expand a non anamorphic source to the width of a 1.85:1 display, and put black bars on the top & bottom (if needed by the source aspect ratio) to fill your display. It does all of this automaticaly with no need for intervention on your part.

Edited this in : You can overcome the automatic scaling on the JVC if you want. I do.

All this said, I might sound a bit like a JVC commercial. I'm really not. The Panasonic gets rave reviews on display quality, and if your TV doesn't lock in format it'd be very hard to argue against it (the rp56) as the player of choice.

Another disqualifier for my "knowledge" - I have very little clue as to which TVs lock the display format, nor how common it is these days. But buyer beware.

Last edited by Janitor; 10-26-01 at 07:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.