DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is it dumb?

Old 10-22-01, 06:02 PM

Is it dumb?

Is it a bad idea to use a passive sub-woofer and a powered sub in the same system? I have a sony-wm40 and a kenwood passive sub both hooked up. am i kidding myself to think it sounds better this way? the rest of my speakers are home theater type, I don't have large mains - they have 4" drivers and 1" tweeters.
Old 10-22-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's much harder to blend a passive sub in with the rest of the speakers. If I am not mistaken the Sony sub has a fairly decent output so it should be plenty loud for your system so it may be overkill to run another sub. The thing is if it sounds good to you running both subs then that's all that matters, it isn't going to hurt anything. What are you powering the passive sub with?
Old 10-22-01, 06:59 PM

you just run the front speaker wire in and out through the passive sub and thats it.
Old 10-22-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with paleblue on this one. The extra sub is not really needed and may cause some cancellation with your other sub, but if it sounds good to you, keep using it in your system.

One thing to remember though is that by powering the passive sub off of the same channels as your front speakers, you are going to be zapping some power going to those drivers causin it to be harder to properly match the levels of the fronts with your center channel.

J
Old 10-24-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if your speakers have to connect through the passive sub, just set the speaker size on the receiver to small - this way not much base will get through to the passive sub.
Old 10-24-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Oraphus
if your speakers have to connect through the passive sub, just set the speaker size on the receiver to small - this way not much base will get through to the passive sub.
This is totally wrong thinking. If you are going to set your speakers to small then there is no reason to use a passive sub, because low fequencies would not be contained in the signal poweing the sub and speakers.

Alot of passive subs have built in crossovers, so only the higher frequencies, say above 80 hz, go to the mains and the rest goes to the sub.

It makes no sense to even use a sub if you are not going to feed it the signals it is designed to reproduce.

J
Old 10-25-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Master J
This is totally wrong thinking. If you are going to set your speakers to small then there is no reason to use a passive sub, because low fequencies would not be contained in the signal poweing the sub and speakers... It makes no sense to even use a sub if you are not going to feed it the signals it is designed to reproduce.
Actually this might make sense, just to be safe. Some speaker packages require that you run the small speakers through the subwoofer. Setting your speakers to "small" and putting the passive sub in-line will handle all of the frequencies that are too low for the speakers and too high for the crossover, say 80-120.

One notorious example would be the Bose bass module, which isn't supposed to be swapped out with a sub.
Old 10-25-01, 03:50 PM

the speakers i have are, in fact, designed to run through the passive sub. i have the powered sub hooked up to the pre-out on the receiver.
Old 10-26-01, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Master J

This is totally wrong thinking. If you are going to set your speakers to small then there is no reason to use a passive sub, because low fequencies would not be contained in the signal poweing the sub and speakers.

Alot of passive subs have built in crossovers, so only the higher frequencies, say above 80 hz, go to the mains and the rest goes to the sub.

It makes no sense to even use a sub if you are not going to feed it the signals it is designed to reproduce.

J
Obviously it makes no sense to use a passive bass module if you dont have to..duh.. But majority of these passive sub packages are designed to only be used through a passive sub.
It is right thinking if you dont want to blow your satilite speakers or if the connection that the satelites use is not compatible with the speaker out on your receiver. Also some bass does get through even in "small" speaker setting. DigIt gave an excellent example with the bose module. I also know that Boston speaker packages have simillar hook up.