DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Built first DIY Tempest subwoofer (WOW)

Old 10-18-01, 05:49 PM

Built first DIY Tempest subwoofer (WOW)

I just finished buiding my first DIY Sonotube subwoofer with the Tempest driver.The sonotube is cut at 41 inches and is 24 inches in diameter.I am using a 6 inch diameter PVC port tube cut at 22 inches for a tune roughly around 17 Hz.I am powering this beast with two channels of my Sherbourn amp which is 300 watts by 2.
I used to be impressed with my Mirage BPS-400 which is still a VERY good subwoofer.Last year I bought a pair of SVS 20-39 CS subs and they were a step up from the Mirage.This new DIY sub is fantastic.The Pod Race in TFM blew me away along with U-571 and Saving Private Ryan.So far it also sounds great with music with what I heard so far.I highly recommend buiding your own sub if you have the time and patience.
Old 10-19-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds good but do you really like having a water heater in your living room?
Old 10-19-01, 12:23 PM

I have twin SVS's also 20-39's with a Samson S700. I love them. I literally felt blown away with TPM. Just curious, did you add this tempest onto your SVS's already or did you get rid of them and have the tempest only. Also did you not like the SVS's that you built the tempest, cause I love them.
Old 10-19-01, 04:14 PM

I agree that it is large palebluedot , but it does not take up much more room than my SVS subs did.My hometheater is in my basement (recreation room) and it is located behind my left front main speaker.That area was dead space and my DIY sub fit nice.
I sold my SVS 20-39`s because I knew I could build one just as good if not better than the SVS.Do not get me wrong,the SVS subs were fantastic and I still think they are one of the best buys in subwoofers.Also with the extra money left over and materials,I can build 2 more subs.If you have the time and patience,you will be amazed at what you can build for less than $300.00 that will outperform commercial subs costing thousands.
Old 10-19-01, 04:37 PM

Is there a web site about these subs or other info, such as materials to make these?
Old 10-19-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patman has a very good site on his 3 experiences.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=99221

http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html
Old 10-19-01, 05:29 PM

Patman gave me a lot of help on my subwoofer and mine is based off his on most issues.Patman has links in his site that will give you other ideas besides his own.You will not find a more detailed how to site than Patmans.Good luck
Old 10-19-01, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Post a pic if you can...let's se your work.
Old 10-20-01, 08:17 AM

I wish I could but I do not have a digital camera.It looks very similar to the SVS subs except the port is on the bottom.
Old 10-22-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you use any driver? I have 2 x 12" Subs from my car that I don't use anymore. Can I use them in such a project?
Old 10-23-01, 06:12 AM

Try this link for more information.On the bottom of the page there is a link section that is FULL of information. www.quux.net/roo/diy/sonosub
Old 10-24-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Built first DIY Tempest subwoofer (WOW)

Originally posted by brilon
I just finished buiding my first DIY Sonotube subwoofer with the Tempest driver.The sonotube is cut at 41 inches and is 24 inches in diameter.I am using a 6 inch diameter PVC port tube cut at 22 inches for a tune roughly around 17 Hz.I am powering this beast with two channels of my Sherbourn amp which is 300 watts by 2.
I used to be impressed with my Mirage BPS-400 which is still a VERY good subwoofer.Last year I bought a pair of SVS 20-39 CS subs and they were a step up from the Mirage.This new DIY sub is fantastic.The Pod Race in TFM blew me away along with U-571 and Saving Private Ryan.So far it also sounds great with music with what I heard so far.I highly recommend buiding your own sub if you have the time and patience.
Have you compared measurements (from the seats) of your DIY with the output of the two SVS subs? Just curious what kind of db's your getting at say...20hz compared to both SVS measured from the same spot. Color me curious
Old 10-24-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats on finishing up your sub! Am glad you're happy with the Sunosub 2 "clone".

If you have the tools and inclination, these DIY subs are very cost efficient and they do go down low with authority.