DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV or Dish 5.1???

Old 10-17-01, 03:25 PM
Banned

DirecTV or Dish 5.1???

Hey all,

I'm weighing the options of getting either of these two dishes and I was wondering what the deal was with 5.1 DD. Do either one of them support it? Is anything being broadcast in 5.1? That might help me in making my decision.
Old 10-17-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DirecTV shows some PPV movies with DD 5.1 and some movies on STARZ also. I'm not sure about DISH but I would also like some info on them if anyone can help. Their programming seems to cost alot less than DirecTV so I am also considering the change. I would assume DISH has some 5.1 as they sell recievers with a digital out.
Old 10-17-01, 05:48 PM

I would go with the DirecTV since you get PPV in 5.1 plus HBO and other movie channels as well. Plus if you ever wanted to upgrade to HDTV with the Dish Newtork you have to have 2 dishes on your roof pointing in different directions (really ugly). DirecTV just uses one oval dish to get both regular and HDTV broadcasts. You may pay a little more up front for the DirecTV but it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 10-17-01, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Hokuto72
I would go with the DirecTV since you get PPV in 5.1 plus HBO and other movie channels as well. Plus if you ever wanted to upgrade to HDTV with the Dish Newtork you have to have 2 dishes on your roof pointing in different directions (really ugly). DirecTV just uses one oval dish to get both regular and HDTV broadcasts. You may pay a little more up front for the DirecTV but it will be worth it in the long run.
not any more

go to www.dishnetwork.com for more info
Old 10-17-01, 10:01 PM
BEC

In addition to HBO and PPV, Dish has a Starz in DD 5.1.
IMO, currently, 5.1 is a bit of a fringe feature for satellite TV.
Not alot of programming options and the off-chance audio drop outs (for both Direct and Dish) is really annoying.

Usually, the regular programming options between Dish and Direct is the tie breaker. Direct has better sports packages. Dish has more movie packages and more superstations (UPN,WB channels) at least for now. Direct costs a little more. Dish can have problems with certain channels/broadcast affilliates (e.g. SanFrancisco NBC and Young broadcasting). This seems to be an isolated problem to Tennessee and SF, but I don't think Direct has had a similar problem.

In terms of hardware, most DirecTV associated stuff is better (eg Directivo vs Dishplayer). Dish's receivers can be less reliable.
Old 10-17-01, 10:10 PM

Dish also has their PPV broadcast in DD5.1. Dish has a few more HD channels (HBO, Showtime, PPV HD, CBS local HDTV and a HDTV demo channel) than Directv (HBO and demo channel) as well. But you will need a separate dish for the HD signals at 61.5 and 148 degree birds.

Last edited by Pato1; 10-17-01 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-18-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pato1
Dish has a few more HD channels (HBO, Showtime, PPV HD, CBS local HDTV and a HDTV demo channel) than Directv (HBO and demo channel) as well.
Dish does not have HDnet (http://www.hd.net/) and most people don't qualify for CBS-HD. The demo channel at DirecTV on 199 does not exist because this was replaced with HDnet. There are also more STB (Set Top Box) options for DirecTV.
Old 10-18-01, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by bmello

Dish does not have HDnet (http://www.hd.net/) and most people don't qualify for CBS-HD. The demo channel at DirecTV on 199 does not exist because this was replaced with HDnet. There are also more STB (Set Top Box) options for DirecTV.
There's no argument that Directv has better sports lineup and
HDnet looks pretty cool. Tonight @ 830 in HDnet...
Dallas Mavericks Cheerleader Tryouts Highlights of the competition for spots on the Mavericks' cheerleading squad.