DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Sony VVEGA KV40XBR700 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/151113-sony-vvega-kv40xbr700.html)

bdots48 10-16-01 09:10 PM

Sony VVEGA KV40XBR700

Well,I've had it for a week now and I have to tell you it is one fantastic set. I'd been looking for 2 years for the right set. When I saw this previewed about a month ago at a local electronics specialty store, I was blown away. When I finally decided against a rear projection,I thought I'd have to settle for the 36" or one of the 34" widescreen sets,but this 40" is just right for my living room (about 12x18). Just an incredible picture with dvd,and very nice with my local cable connection. (No HD yet.)
I especially like the split screen capability - I was able to watch the Cleveland Browns and the Cleveland Indians lose at the
same time last Sunday. :(
I've had no problems (yet) with picture quality or the other sony quirks I've heard about.

Orlando 10-16-01 09:25 PM

I am seriously considering this set. I can't get a RPTV downstairs and Plasma Not affordable. I was thinking of getting one of the LCOS types but they keep getting delayed and some reported problems with brightness and black levels have me wondering. I would love to hear what others have to say about this. And bdots48 would love to hear an update in a couple of days.

bdots48 10-17-01 04:07 PM

Orlando - I'm getting digital hookup on Monday - I'll update after that. One thing to consider about this set is that it weighs over 300 lbs,although it's just a little deeper than the other wegas. (The ads/specs say it weighs under 300,but tell that to the 2 fellows who delivered it)

jumbojp 10-17-01 09:52 PM

I am also considering buying this so I am glad to heard it is a good set. Keep us posted if you have any problems with it.

I haven't seen one up close yet, only in pictures so I have a few questions. Is the TV built into the stand? Would you be able to just use the TV itself without the stand? Would it still look good/natural without the stand?

Right now I have a Mitsubishi 40" tube and I have been waiting for this to come out so I can upgrade. I could never go back to a 36" set after the 40", those 4" make a big difference!

I also understand how those guys must have felt. I have moved my set at least 6-7 times and it is really heavy.

jumbojp 10-17-01 09:55 PM

Duh, forget my questions, I guess I could have looked at there site again:)

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v-40xbr700.gif

bdots48 10-18-01 04:04 PM

jumbojp - although the stand cost another $399 I'd recommend it - it really adds to the beauty of the set and the 2 shelves underneath are perfect for a dvd and a vcr.

Orlando 10-27-01 11:11 AM

bdots48

Please give an update. Was wondering how you are making out.

Bcolon 10-27-01 11:30 AM

How much did you pay for it? From where?

bdots48 10-27-01 12:05 PM

It's still doing great - the digital box was put in Monday and the digital channels are wonderfully clear - comparable to dvd quality. It doesn't improve local and basic cable channels,although those signals for the most part are really good. Problem with the digitial box is that I can't use the split screen function which I really enjoyed during the baseball series. Supposedly this can be corrected by the cable company somehow - I'm going to call them next week. Meanwhile,the dvds are still fantastic and I'm enjoying the IFC and Sundance channels with digital picture (these were not available on my basic cable).

I bought the set from a local electronics specialty store (AudioCraft) mostly because of their very good service historyand knowledgeable staff. No real discount,though,at $3499 for the set and $399 for the stand.

Kman1011 10-27-01 10:36 PM

Anyone that is interested I will get you a great price please email me if interested.

nekobus 10-27-01 11:17 PM

We saw this set in a local store. It looked awesome. The funny thing was they had it hooked up to a Sony DVD player showing Toy Story and it showed all the flaws in the player itself. -smile-

Great looking set, but I wouldn't want to have to move it. -wink-

Bcolon 10-28-01 12:23 AM

Originally posted by nekobus
We saw this set in a local store. It looked awesome. The funny thing was they had it hooked up to a Sony DVD player showing Toy Story and it showed all the flaws in the player itself. -smile-

What flaws? I have owned four Sony DVD Players and they have all been great.

Berkowitz 10-30-01 01:15 PM

I had a problem with fit also. But I had to get a new TV that would clear three flights of stairs and a tight bend in the last set. I was about to buy a smallish RPTV or the 40 inch Wega. Those were my choices. I just couldn't get myself to spend that kinda of money on a 40 inch screen. I ended up getting a nice large Mitsubishi WS65908 killer!!!! It is TWO PIECES!!!! The screen section is half and the cabinet is the other half. Even sections. It went up my stairs with NO problem. My parents have a finish basement that they were going to set up a HT in. But they couln't fit anything but a Plasma. They are thinking of buying the same set. I am glad they informed me of that. I am sure the Sony has a fantastic picture, but there is nothing better for HT then a large screen.

Orlando 10-31-01 09:10 PM

I need to ask a big favor of one of you lucky guys that has one. Or a kinda of lucky one that has access to one. I have a serious problem with the clearance needed to get this into my basement. All I can get on the web is the box dimensions. I need to get a little more exact as it is shaped more like a triangle. It is those cut corners that could get me in. So if some one could do me a big favor I would greatly appreciate it. You could e-mail me at [email protected] Again Thank You.

Orlando 11-02-01 09:49 AM

Bumping this up so maybe someone might be able to help me during the week-end.

kdc 11-06-01 09:27 AM

this post is in response to "kman 1011": i was wondering if you could get the 40inch xbr700 tv lower than the price listed here. I was shocked to see that they are advertising the xbr700 at this price. anyone know it this place is a hoax, i got plans to get this tv by the end of the month!!! http://www.lgdsuperstore.com/kv40xbr700.html

Kman1011 11-06-01 10:01 PM

Non authorized retailer, so I definetly would not purchase there also probably a drop shipper if you read shipping times, "once we get it from our warehouse circle, 1-10 days, now telling how long for them to get it.

kdc 11-07-01 07:41 AM

You are correct: I called and drilled them on whats the catch and they ARE NOT a Sony authorized dealer, they tell me that the manufaturer's warranties are void on all their products but indicate they have their own extended warranty that provides "on-site service". My take on them is that you buy at your own risk & hope and pray you wind up with flaw-free merchandise, cause you'll catch hell trying to get anything repaired should you need it.

kdc 11-07-01 12:10 PM

Once I found out this tv was coming out i waited for it because I am a hooked on directview picture tube viewer. But my real debate is actually whether or not getting this kind of tv (4:3) will fit my viewing needs leading into the future. Currently I am a cabletv subscriber/watcher (50%), and the other half of tv useage is mixed with PS2 video game play, WebTV useage, and DVD movie watcher. My secondary TV choice has me considering the Sony 16:9 tv (34XBR2). Due to both being around the same price range, I have mind juggled all year it seems about choosing a 4:3 tv (that i really like) vs. going for the 16:9, any advice on helping me select???

Orlando 11-07-01 01:46 PM

Kdc - I am in the same boat that you are in. I really wanted a 16:9 set. But I can't get a RPTV in my basement. Projector was out due to the wife factor. Plasma Price and not totally impressed with picture quality. I was hoping that one of the new LCOS type Sets would do it. But with the constant delays, less then nice early reports and price I decided to wait no longer.

Tube seemed to be my only option for at least the next couple of years. So in doing my research I read that the 16:9 picture on the 40" 4:3 is the same size as a 36" 16:9. But a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 tube somewhere like a 25", smaller then I have now. Hmm! I thought about what I watch now and my habits are about the same as yours except no video games or WebTV but my kids still have some video tapes. I thought about the fact that it is going to be a while before 16:9 material is out in quantity to make it the ratio of choice. And when it is, the price on those displays should drop substantially. The price of the 4:3 set would make it somewhat affordable now and give me the picture quality I want. So I will pay about the same price in the long run of one of those LCOS sets now. But I won't have to compromise on the picture quality and not being totally happy with it. I won't have to come up with all the money now and I will get a much more mature product. With copy-protection, format issues, the DDS merger and such I would probably need a new set in a couple of year anyway. So last week I ordered one and now I wait. Good-Luck. Cause I really do feel your pain as this decision was two years in the making.