DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good DVD player for my money

Old 10-16-01, 09:55 PM

Good DVD player for my money

Right now I am running a Sony Trinitron KV27V42. I know its not a wega, and it cant do progressive, but I got it for 279 bucks at the sony outlet near my house.(I am in college, and its fine for my dorm room, and the price was not prohibitive) I am running a Denon AVR-1802 for a reciever, and am waiting for my paradigm titans to come in. I intend to use them as fronts, and then when I get some more cash, move em to the back, or give em to my bro, and buy surrounds, but not sure. anyways

what dvd player would you guys reccomend that I get. I dont need a real high end one, because if its bottlenecked by the rest of the equipment, that extra quality is wasted. As a college student, my budget is tight. Can you guys tell me what you think? (around 150 is max for dvd I think..may be able to pay a little more, but I am willing to go refurbished or such off of ubid)

Rich, aka Rodriguez
Old 10-17-01, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey nice setup. No need to go refurbished. Hit the Amazon link and pick up a Pioneer DV-343. Free shipping and less than $150. Be sure to toss on a coupon and use one of the gift certificate deals to get it for even less.

You might want to break your Titans in when you get them, as they can sometimes be a little bright out of the box.
Old 10-17-01, 12:33 PM

how would I go about "breaking them in"?
Old 10-17-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you can squeeze to the high 100's it might be nice to get a sony dvd player, because your regular remote will control it and your tv....Sony players are super reliable too.

I also believe the new model is dual laser and can play cd-rs too
Old 10-17-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by synovia18
how would I go about "breaking them in"?
They will sound pretty bright right out of the box. You may or may not want to do it all at once. It takes about 50-60 hours or so. My brother broke his in by leaving them on during a 3 day weekend. They sounded better after the weekend.

The DV-343 will play CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, SVCD, and DVD-R. It has a better warranty than the Sony players(not that you'll ever use it). Read some reviews here: www.vcdhelp.com. Also do a search in this forum for 343 and you will find a lot of info.

Last edited by nekobus; 10-17-01 at 03:38 PM.