DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Mitsubishi/Panasonic

Old 10-16-01, 01:47 PM
PTS

Mitsubishi/Panasonic

Have a few questions, that I hope a few of you out there can help me with. They will cover a few different subjects, so please bare with me.
1) Own a Mitsu 88507 widescreen TV, HD compatable. leaning towards 2 things: Panasonic RP56, but trying to figure out if scaling will be a problem. From what I recall, the reviews of this tv stated that wired into the componant inputs, the tv locks into the full mode, or something like that, not sure if I have explained it correctly. And the Panny rp56 does not scale. now how will that effect playing non anmorphic dvd's?
2) Leaning towards the Mitsu SR-HD 500 decoder/direct tv receiver, and was wondering if anyone can give me an opinion on its performance, pro's con's? Also, cheapest price for the SR-HD 500 ( that includes both 24" eliptical dish and receiver) seems to be around $885, but a store out of Florida, Brandsmart, has it for $599!! Anyone death with this store, grey market stuff, or USA warranty??
3) One last question, anyone purchased and used the new Terk TV 35 antenna? Ooutside aluminum attenna that does both vhf and uhf! Any opinons on such attenna?
Appreciate any opinions, help!!
Old 10-17-01, 08:28 AM
PTS

Bump!! Help with some opinions?
Old 10-17-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't know if it's just me, but I'm confused. However I will give it the old college exam attempt.

I have not heard of a 88507. Perhaps a 55807? What is the size of your tv? Is it an 88"? If not, then it's not an 88507.
The 55807 is the 2001 model year 55" widescreen.
I think you are also talking about a known problem for the 2000 models (xx805) to lock into full mode when a progressive signal is detected via the component inputs. This problem has been fixed on the xx807 series.

I don't have any first hand info the SR-HD500 receiver. Personally I have a Samsung SIR-T150 for OTA only (no satellite) and am very happy with it. Quick channel locks, and makes no noise.

Stay away from Terk at all costs. Their product is junk. I don't know anyone that has any success with Terk products. If you're trying to receive UHF digital signals, I've heard a lot of people having luck with a simple UHF bowtie antenna. I have a fairly large antenna (8' I think) in the attic that works pretty well.

I hope this helps at least a little bit. maybe you could be more clear if you have more questions.
Old 10-17-01, 11:38 AM
PTS

Movie Man, yes your correct, model 55807 55" screen. did not realize I had typed wrong model number. Did notice from a review of this 55807, that the review did state that when a progressive dvd player is hooked up, via the video component, that it does stay in full mode, on non anmorphic movies. So yes, that will apply to my situation. I got the impression that witha dvd player that does not scale (such as the panny rp56) I would have to see the non anmorphic dvd's in full mode ( I presume when they full mode, they are saying 4:3 picture mode????). Most of my dvd are anmorphic, so it will not make that much difference. But does that mean that if I went to a progressive player that does scale (such as the Panny rp91) it would sovle the problem? Would this player be able to scale it to 16:9 or thereabouts? Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks for the info on Terk antenna. I am concerned that if I need an occasional vhf capability, (say to obtain a vhf-ota HD signal, I would be out of luck. That would be the only down side of a UHF only antenna. Hope to hear back from you
Old 10-17-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As I stated, that lock mode was fixed with the 55807, so you don't need to worry about it. By full mode, they mean standard mode, so you would only have a problem with non-anamorphic DVDs.
Not that it applies, but if it did lock in full mode, you would need to go into your DVD setup, and adjust it to output interlaced rather than progressive when you put in a non-anamorphic disc.

Obviously the best choice would be a rooftop antenna, but if that is not an option, then you'll just have to try a set-top unit. They come in all flavors of UHF only, VHF only, and combos. As I said before, stay away from Terk.
Old 02-11-02, 05:28 PM

Hello Movie_Man (or anyone else that can assist),

I own the Mitsubishi 55805 and was considering an upgrade to the DVD-RP91. This upgrade would be primarily for the scalability as I have many non-animorphic discs. The question is, will I be locked out of viewing these movies using the scaling feature in progressive scan by the tv, due to this lock-out issue you mention above? Or, will the DVD player over ride this and allow me to scale non-animorphic in progressive scan?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-11-02, 07:41 PM

I have a mitsu 46807 and the SR-hd500 setup, and I can tell you I think its great. Excellent PQ, integration, can setup Directv, OTA, and cable then download the guides. My only complaint is you almost have to use both remotes still, but I use an aftermarket touchscreen to control everything, so I worked around that.
Old 02-11-02, 09:31 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are in progressive mode on your dvd player yes 480p lock in just standard and another. The quick fix is just take it out of progressive and use the TV like it is. The more expensive approach is to Buy the RP91 which does the scaling internally and thus solves your problem. I own a 46809 and elected to buy a rp56 because I can do with out the progressive on movies that are not anamorphic plus I got it for 150 dollars so the extra 300-375 was not worth it to me
Old 02-12-02, 02:55 PM

Thanks Sn0,

I think you were replying to my question. It sounds like the RP-91 will allow me to scale in progressive scan on my 55805 (without being hampered by any attempt by the TV to "lock-out" the signal (if that is even possible, please excuse my ignorance). Using my current Toshiba DVD 6200, I notice a significant difference between in picture between the interlaced and progressive scan mode. Being able to scale the non-animorphic image in progressive scan without losing any resolution would be a big benefit for me. I think I'll give the RP-91 a shot.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have a Mits 16X9 hdtv. It does lock into expand mode when it receives a progressive signal (what were the engineers thinking?). I just bought a Panasonic RP-91 in part for the scaling that it's implementation of the Genesis chipset allows. I liked other things about this excellent player and found it at a great price (backordered at J&R for over two weeks now) so it seemed like the logical choice for me.