Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the RCA RT2500 Home Theatre in a Box

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-01, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a hime audio system. My budget is very small (with christmas coming up, being in school, etc.).

A local electronics shop has 4 RCA RT2500 700 Watt home theatre system in a box instock for the price of $499 Canadian. This is $100 cheaper then anywhere I can find on the web or in other local B&M. I have been trying to find some reviews on this system but have not had much luck. Does anybody currently own or have owned this system? Should I jump on this deal or should I wait and save my money?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-14-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would stay away from any home theater in the box set-up. You will probably want to upgrade it very quickly, once you realize something is lacking. My first pro-logic set-up was a home theater in the box set-up, and it became so lackluster after about three months, I ended up buying a new receiver and speakers (though I did recoup some money by selling the original set-up).

Here's a decent sample system

JBL NSP1 5 Speaker Set (Yahoo Shopping)

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/sea...BL+NSP1&did=59

Set of 5 speakers starts at about 270

HK 500 @HK outlet

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...ber=AVR500%2DZ

Last years second from the top receiver in their line. Originally reatailed for 800 bucks... only $300 refurbed. If you have a problem with refurbs just look for a lower priced receiver, but anything you are going to get for 300 bucks will not hold a candle to this HK.

Maybe add an inexpensive Sony WM40 sub and you will be set. This set up will provide you with a much better experience for a very similar price.

J
Old 10-14-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thing, pay no attention whatsoever to the RCA's so called 700 watts of power. This is nothing more than a marketing item. I looked up the specs for this system on RCA's site and it was rated at 100 wpc for 2 channels driven using a 6 ohm load. What this is saying is that the receiver really only does 200 watts total at a time. The same goes for the so called 200 watt subwoofer.

If you get a receiver from a HK, Onkyo, or Denon, it may be rated lower but it will give you more real watts not to mention more hook up flexibility.

If you have any more questions about any particular product feel free to ask.

Justin
Old 10-14-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ideally wouldn't it be great to have enough money to purchase really awesome components, but some can't afford it. I couldn't so I bought a HT in a box from Sharp. It was an upgrade from the TV speakers. I first I loved it better than anything I ever could have imagined.

I did realize that there is better, but I can't afford, regardless I am still very happy with what I have and at any rate it certainly enhances the experience from the TV speakers.
Old 10-15-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are much better off researching, say, the Kenwood HTIB (503 & 504 I think) which has gotten several good reviews, rather than purchasing an RCA system that has gotten zero reviews.