Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question: Problem concerning warped picture

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-07-01, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several game systems, including a PS2, Dreamcast, and an N64. Whenever I play games on the PS2 or Dreamcast the upper left corner of the screen is bent in. Also, I have some graphics, like borders, etc, running off the screen in some spots, along the edges of the screen. Basically, the picture is warped towards the edges. I have a 32" Sony TV and my friend has a Mitsubishi and we both have this exact same problem with our Dreamcast and PS2 -- except I don't have the problem with my N64. All of the systems are hooked up via s-video and I'm fairly certain that the component connections have the same problem. Anyone know if there's any way possible to fix this? If nothing else I would want to be certain that the next TV I purchase does not reproduce this problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like your television is in need of some calibration. Using a disc like Avia or Video Essentials (or even THX optimode in a pinch) could help you out, or you could try to do it yourself just by eye. What you need to do is go int your TV's service menu then adjust the controls such as pincushion, horizontal size, etc.

I am not exactly sure how to get into the service menu of a Mits but to find out either do a search online or possibly post and ask over on the Home Theater Forum. Just remeber to write down the original values of the different adjustments before making changes so if you royally screw something up, you can get back to where you first started.

J
Old 10-12-01, 01:01 AM

I have the same exact problem with my PS2 and DC on my Toshiba 32AX60. I have both systems hooked up with component cables. I also noticed while watching normal television or a dvd(player hooked up through S Video) if there is a vertical line on the left side of the TV it appears bent inward (this is really noticable on dvd menus). This problem didn't bother me at first but now is really starting to bug me.
Old 10-13-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds more like a raster timing type of problem. If you adjust the screen for your PC be aware it will distort the picture for regular TV watching. You should get a program like Powerstrip that will alloe custom timings which should solve your problems!