Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

wharfedale speakers any good?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 03:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any info on wharfedale speakers? I am looking for some inexpensive speakers for my dorm room. There seems to be some reasonable prices on ubid.com , but I am not sure about their quality. Anywhere I can read reviews, or stores where I can go to listen to them? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-04-01, 07:45 AM

Hi,

I have a set in my home theater. I'm not sure of the model number, but they are rosewood tall 4 cone speakers with bi-polar plugs on the backs. I got them from uBid.com. I'm very happy with them. I think they sound great. They will be impressive in a dorm room environment. I bought my warfedale center channel speaker from Amazon.

I think there are reviews of the speakers at

www.audioreview.com

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-01, 01:38 PM

ubid

I saw those speakers on ubid as well. The general consensus of wharfedale is favorable. There are some other manufacturers that sell direct to customer online, with deep discounts. You may want to check those out too.

I was wondering if those wharfedale speakers at ubid were legitimate sales. From the other post, it sounds like they are.

Cheers,
Ben
url removed

Last edited by stevevt; 10-04-01 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-04-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ubid

Originally posted by ben aperion
I saw those speakers on ubid as well. The general consensus of wharfedale is favorable. There are some other manufacturers that sell direct to customer online, with deep discounts. You may want to check those out too.

I was wondering if those wharfedale speakers at ubid were legitimate sales. From the other post, it sounds like they are.

Cheers,
Ben
url removed
Ben,

Welcome to DVDTalk.

Please review the forum rules.

I removed the link you posted because it violated the following condition:

The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension:
• Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company
Old 10-05-01, 08:41 AM

Looking at audioreview is a good start but I would not let that be the final judge in a speaker purchase decision.

A good sounding speaker is in the eye (ear in this case) of the beholder. Go to your local audio place that carries the Wharfedales and listen to them. Ask if you can try them out at home risk free. Most reputable audio dealers generally allows this. Listening to speakers at the store and at home (in the intended environment) can produce a day/night difference too.
Old 10-05-01, 08:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Pato1
Looking at audioreview is a good start but I would not let that be the final judge in a speaker purchase decision.

A good sounding speaker is in the eye (ear in this case) of the beholder. Go to your local audio place that carries the Wharfedales and listen to them. Ask if you can try them out at home risk free. Most reputable audio dealers generally allows this. Listening to speakers at the store and at home (in the intended environment) can produce a day/night difference too.

I like to use audioreview and similar sites when making purchasing decisions. But, I always try to remember that these sites are far from perfect. As such, I would agree that the best thing to do is find a set and listen to them. Not only can environment make a big difference, but user preference can too.

Nismo, you asked about stores where you could listen to the speakers, but didn't mention where you are located. It might be helpful in finding places to demo them if you are willing to tell the general area where you're located.
Old 10-05-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dead

Nismo, you asked about stores where you could listen to the speakers, but didn't mention where you are located. It might be helpful in finding places to demo them if you are willing to tell the general area where you're located.
Claremont, CA?

Old 10-05-01, 10:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by stevevt

Claremont, CA?

Oops, I was making my response when I thought about asking... and, the location field doesn't show up in the "Topic Review" so I didn't notice it...

No, really, this is what happened...

Seriously, could I make something like this up...

Well, OK, just hand me the dunce cap and I'll head toward the corner!