Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for $500 progressive scan dvd player!!!!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-29-01, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a dvd player (around $500) with
Progressive scan
dvd audio
NO inbuilt decoders
mp3 also not necessary
even a single disc

just pure clean progressive dvd video player...no multi region etc.
and as future proof as possible........

Help me with recommendations and places to buy them from:
Thanks in advance......
Old 09-29-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Panasonic RP-91

Progressive Scan, DVD-Audio, Great quality

Sorry it does have decoders but you can bypass them with either the optical or coax digital output.
Old 09-30-01, 01:15 PM
Banned

Copper Box has some that should meet your needs.

They also carry Denon but you have to call them, since they can't sell Denon online

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/dvd.php
Old 09-30-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavePhipps
Copper Box has some that should meet your needs.

They also carry Denon but you have to call them, since they can't sell Denon online

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/dvd.php
Dave do you work for Copperbox? It seems like you plug their site in every single post you make in this forum (which is against forum rules). Since copperbox looks to be a local chain in your area I can only assume you work there or know someone who does.

Looking at the copperbox site, their prices are not that good, and they are not authorized to sell alot of the products they are pushing online either.

Instead of posting copperbox for every little item, why not tell us why the site is good, or why it is a good place to buy from. Trust me their (yours?) site has little to no reputation on this board, and people tend not to buy blindly from a store just because you keep pushing it. If anything it is causing you to lose customers. Just some thoughts.

J
Old 09-30-01, 11:21 PM
Banned

Hey J

No I don't work for Copper Box (I didn't go to law school to sell electronics - although I wouldn't mind owing a store if for no other reason than to get dealer prices) I've just bought a good $7000 worth of products from them and looking to spend another $3000 in the next few weeks (Dennon AVR-4802 and 2 Tannoy subs - check my earlier posts I was asking if there was anywhere else I could find these subs [ I was looking to see if I could find a better price as they are quite costly])

As for their prices they under cut every authorized dealer - for the same products. I've checked with Tannoy and they are authrized to sell them, but they can only sell them online to people who live in an area not serviced by a local Tannoy dealer - I'm sure you're a Bose fan though and Denon can only be sold in the store - the stores name is Advance Logic so perhaps thats why you don't seem to think they are authorized

I guess you prefer to rely on the dorks in the blue and maron shirts for advice. The 2 guys at copper box are both engineers, I beleive they post on the AVS or one of those other forums with the other techs who don't take us on this forum seriously - thats okay since this is more of a dvd related forum.

All I can say is but for the advice I received from copper box there is no way i would be enjoying HDTV for the price I paid, had I relied on what the dopes at CC & BB say, well let's just say I doubt I'd be getting any HDTV.

Persoanlly if I weren't a local customer I doubt I'd order from that web page of theirs - it looks terrible (to me at least) But I also know they have a few thousand items on that page that you jsut can't find every where - again more for the serious tech types. But I went in there looking for a wide screen TV and satallite around last christams, I check BB, CC, and another local dealer that carrys widescreen tv and there was just no comparison, nobody else could explain to me what i was buying and why i needed the DTC-100 to see HDTV, what di-plexers were, the Spaun multi switch so i could have direct tv in 5 rooms, etc - they covered everythign for me from grounding the dish (which i installed myself thats to their advice) BB told me I would need a transcoder for the same Pioneer TV and DTC-100 - but as usualy the blue shirts had no idea what they were talking about as the Pioneer TVs have RGB inputs. waht Progresive scan really meant and why I should not have bought that Pionner Progressive Scan player - which I didn't based soley on their advice - then a month later people on thier forum were advising against that player, I could go on and on about this sorta stuff thoug.

Look the fact is, this is an extremely reputable and knowlegable dealer, who has been extremely paitent with me, and with their other customers I've spoken to.

Maybe I did post a lot today, like I said I'm planning on purchasing a new receiver and subs, so I've been reading up and all and I realize they don't advertise here on DVD Talk which is soley supported by advertisers and affiliates, but when you're buying this type of equiptment or you're not sure what you really need this is the better choice to buy from. When you're spending thousands of dollars it only makes sense to buy from a reputable and knowledgable dealer - I posted a few weeks ago when I first considered the Denon AVR-4802 about an online place with a fantastic price for this model ETronics I think it was, but I was told they were not an authorized dealer and that warranty may be void, etc...

Anyway this is longer than I planned on writing, but maybe Geff shoudl contact copper box abotu advertising on here as the current HT equiptment retialers really don't cut it when it comes to HDTV and all
Old 09-30-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Master J,
You are encouraged to use the "Notify a Moderator" function any time you see questionable behavior.

Dave,
I want to address one small part of what you wrote in your previous post. Here it is:

I'm sure you're a Bose fan...
Please don't belittle or disparage other members. Thank you.

I'd like to try to steer this thread back on course, if that's possible. Let us now return to the business of addressing eauctiontrust's question about what $500 progressive scan dvd player he should buy and where he should buy it.

As always, please e-mail me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

-stevevt
Old 09-30-01, 11:56 PM
Banned

Well to get this back on track despite J trolling for a fight.

I don't think there is a best progressive scan player out there under $500.

I have a JVC (see my other posts about that) and while the sound a picture are fantastic I would not recommend it, as I'm having to send it in the have a software upgrade as it will no longer read discs - totally in accpetable for a player thats only a few months old, and I doubt I will ever buy a JVC product or recommend one to someone else, despite the performance of this model, it replaced the RCA RC-6000P progressive scan player which was a great player, beautiful picture and everything, but I felt the JVC had a better picture as well as being a DVD Audio player.

You should check out the Sony player - I think BB had it for $300 this week - just don't ask the blue shirts to tell you what progressive scan means or how to spell HDTV, they won't know, they'll just tell you to check their web site.

I would recommend the RCA player as well, very good, but I think you can find something better for the same or even less money.

I'd be inclined to go with the Sony just out of my previous good experience with Sony products.

Oh I know Sound and Vision recently reviewd some models, can't remember which ones off hand, but you should check their web site as well as Audio Review's web site which is just user written reviews and always contain the most helpful information.

J, I don't work for JVC, RCA, Sony, Sound and Vision Magazine, or Audio Review

Last edited by DavePhipps; 10-01-01 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-01-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I noticed this too from Dave's post:
- I'm sure you're a Bose fan though.....
I thought it was the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Dave,
You could call someone anything you want, but by-golly, when you tell someone they're a Bose fan.....that's just too low.
Old 10-01-01, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Centurion
I noticed this too from Dave's post:

I thought it was the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Dave,
You could call someone anything you want, but by-golly, when you tell someone they're a Bose fan.....that's just too low.
I'm going to try this next time we have a fight.

The Panasonic RP-56 is a steal at around $200 with the Sage chip, unfortunately it doesn't do DVD-Audio. So it's not as future proof, but it has a great picture. It' spanked the RP-91 in an update to the Secrets of Home Theater shootout:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html

Last edited by nekobus; 10-01-01 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-01-01, 10:04 AM
etp

rca 6000p

I have bought 3 rca 6000p's on sale at Wal///

Great plyaers for $149-259//cost $600 retail//
multiple outputs of all kinds//two sets of componant outputs
Old 10-01-01, 10:10 AM

The panny rp91 is a awesome player. the best iv'e seen picture wise. yes, there are better de-interlacers out there but you sacrifice picture in alot of cases.
Old 10-01-01, 10:14 AM
Banned

With the RCA RC-6000P there are 2 sets of component video outputs one is used for 480i the other for 480p. THe JVC has a switch on the back or on the remote to toggle between 480i and 480p

J, I don't work for RCA or JVC
Old 10-01-01, 10:31 AM
etp

I don't work for them either//great players, although I have never tried the regular componant output//only the progressive scan/

I have a hiatachi 63sdxhdtvfull time pro scan.

Correction the one in the bedroom is hooked up to the SVHS. The third one is idle!!!!
Old 10-01-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mr. longshanks
The panny rp91 is a awesome player. the best iv'e seen picture wise. yes, there are better de-interlacers out there but you sacrifice picture in alot of cases.
There are very few cases were you would sacrifice picture quality with the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 chip. The Sage in the 56 beats the de-interlacer in the 91 hands down with excellent picture quality. The 91 does have a lot of nice features(zoom and DVD-A), just not the best de-interlacer out there. See the test results here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volu...t-2-8-2001.html

and the Pannie 56 vs 91 discussions on the avsforums.

Many people are grabbing the 56 as it's a great machine for the price. However, the 91 works well for a lot of people, it depends on each person's needs. eauctiontrust wants DVD-Audio so the 91 may be the way to go. If he can live without the zoom and DVD-A, he can buy the 56 and put $250+ back in his pocket--always a nice thing.
Old 10-01-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavePhipps
With the RCA RC-6000P there are 2 sets of component video outputs one is used for 480i the other for 480p. THe JVC has a switch on the back or on the remote to toggle between 480i and 480p

J, I don't work for RCA or JVC
That is good to know. I don't know where you would get the time to work at all of these places
Old 10-02-01, 04:35 AM
etp

UPDATE

One of my 3 6000p's is starting to feel too warm and repeat//I guess it will go back to wal-mart. Or I could get it fixed under warranty. Only paid $149.