Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

inexpensive system recommendations

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-25-01, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. Can someone please recommend to me a pair of inexpensive speakers and also a stereo receiver? I have a budget of up to $300 dollars for the speakers and about the same for a receiver. I plan to mostly just listen to music(classical, jazz, and classic rock), with the occasional movie, but I don't care what movies sound like. They will be used in a college dorm, but I have great neighbors so don't worry about them being too loud. Bookshelfs or towers are okay, although I doubt I could probably afford nice towers with my budget. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-01, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

psb Image 2B is very nice for both music and HT. Under $300 a pair online. Onkyo 494 at under $300 is a great receiver and will more than power the 2B.

We have spent several hours listening to the 2B and it's an amazing little speaker. It puts out a surprising amount of bass and is great with vocals/jazz/pop.Here is very interesting review of the 2B, be sure to read the Review Summary:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_image2b.htm

This setup has great growth potential with the Onkyo and you can easily add a center and a set of surrounds, if you ever really get into HT. Use the dealer locator on psb's site to find a place to audition their line:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html

This site also has some very nice reviews and advice on buying a music oriented system. It's well worth the read and will give you a lot of excellent speaker suggestions:

http://www.goodsound.com/original/speakers.html

Last edited by nekobus; 09-26-01 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-26-01, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since you seem focused of music quality, I would recommend a nice integrated amplifier like the NAD C350. The PSB Image 2B or the Paradigm Mini-Monitors are the first speakers I would check out.
Old 09-26-01, 02:33 PM

Hey guys, thanks for replying. Those speaker recommendations look really good. I was looking at the receiver and I am not sure I really need to get a multi-channel receiver. I only plan to use this system for a couple of years, and then upgrade once I get out of school. I would prefer to get just a stereo receiver, especially if it will save some money, maybe to put towards an amp or a sub. How is the Onkyo TX-8511? It is only stereo, but it seems to put more power to the channels than the 494, so maybe an amp wouldn't really be that essential. I really don't know much about reading the specs for receivers but here is the info page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.c...vers&m=TX-8511

Anyway, I appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-26-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The TX-8511 is nice. But consider the NAD C350. You realize that with an integrated amp you wouldn't need a receiver, right?
Old 09-26-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Onkyo makes good solid gear and their power specs are real, not just paper specs. For example, the 494 has no problem driving two pairs of 2Bs. The 2Bs are very efficient speakers.If you are only looking for a stereo receiver, you might even want to consider the TX-8211. It has 50/wpc, which will easily drive the 2Bs to cop calling sound levels and is $100 less than the TX-8511.

Skar makes an excellent suggestion. The C350 has room for expansion for years of service:

http://NADelectronics.com/IntegratedAmp/C350.html

It can be found online in its factory refurbished form online at the same price as the Onkyo TX-8511.
Old 09-26-01, 09:56 PM

okay, well it's pretty obvious I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Thanks for the replys, they are really useful. By going with an integrated amp, what am I losing feature-wise over a receiver? I guess perhaps if someone could direct me to perhaps a beginners guide to this stuff, it would help. Also, any other products to consider? Thanks a lot, guys, it helps a lot.
Old 09-26-01, 09:58 PM

Also, I am looking at the NAD site, and I am not seeing where to buy the refurbished amp. Where is it?
Old 09-27-01, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With an integrated amp you would need a tuner, while a receiver has the tuner built in. Here is a page from the Goodsound site(this site rocks by the way)which has some real good basic info on purchasing a sound system that will help you out:

http://www.goodsound.com/original/glossary.html

This store has the NAD and they also carry psb speakers. They have excellent service:

www.yawaonline.com/nadc3ref1yea.html

If you need a tuner and don't want to buy one, the Onkyo TX-8211 receiver will drive the 2Bs well enough to get you thrown out of the dorm. jandr.com lists it at $199 and was willing to deal over the phone. You could probably get $20 or $30 shaved off that price.