Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Boston Accoustics Speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an opinion or any comments about Boston Accoustic speakers?

I have been a DVD Talk enthusiast for a few months now and have read almost all the posts in the Hardware Forum. Not anywhere in this forum have I seen Boston Accoustics mentioned. All the speakers in my system are Bostons and I think they sound great. Is there any reason they haven't been recommended? (i.e. Too expensive, not good quality....)
Old 09-20-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Bostons. Didn't buy them because I went with a floor model set of Mirages... but I would widely recommend their bookshelf speakers.
Old 09-20-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Boston makes some good solid mid level products. Some of their speakers to my ear sound a little dull and flat.

Their bookshelf products are not bad but a little on the cheap side.

I would audition several pairs and see whet you think against something else like B&W, PSB, Paradigm, Definitive etc.
Old 09-20-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BA makes a nice quality product. If anything I would say they may be a bit overpriced for their performance. At least around me the only store that carries them is Tweeter, and their speakers only go on sale once in a blue moon.

I am not too crazy about their floor standers, but if you want a good performing bookshelf they provide a nice product. If you like their sound, I would not hesitate getting them for one second. There are many many worse choices out there compared to BA.

J
Old 09-20-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with most of the comments so far. Nice speakers, but a little too pricey. You can get better sounding speakers for the same amount of money. I have some BA car speakers and I really like them.
Old 09-20-01, 04:02 PM

I guess you've never come accross any of my posts, as I plug them quite a bit.

I'm not sure why they aren't as popular, as say, NHT or Energy. It's probably the way they're marketed and sold. Except for Tweeter, they only appear in local mom and pop stores with little discount. And they aren't exactly cheap. I've gotten several pairs used.

I'm a pretty critical listener, and for what my opinion's worth, I honestly feel that the way music sounds through them is the way it's supposed to sound. Especially with wind instruments and female vocals. It probably has more to do with their tweeter design than anything else. Everything sounds good through them - we listen to quite a variety of music.

My HT consists of T-1000's, a single A70 series II for center (which plays 'bigger' than any other center I've heard), and A40's for surround. My pc drives a JVC receiver that uses Boston A70's as well. My Honda has Pro 5.2 components in the front doors, our Expedition has RX87's in the doors. Except for the A40's, they all have basically the same 'neo' tweeter design. Silky smooth. I just like their sound.

I had a chance earlier this year to buy a used (but mint) pair of CR-9's for $200. I'm still kicking myself for not doing so. Those are downright awesome speakers for the size.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Bostons like I am.
Old 09-20-01, 05:23 PM

i love them . i got a pair of 975 for 1600 $$$. ofcourse it is expensive.
Old 09-21-01, 11:17 AM

I bought my Boston's back in 1995, and I've been happy.
Front L&R = VR30
Front Center = VR12
Sub = VR500

No complaints here. I have noticed that same thing though, noone ever mentions them.

I think I would agree though after spending a few years here, I could have gotten more for my money.
Old 09-23-01, 11:27 PM

I've had a pair of VR-970s for 2 years now and have not been dissapointed yet. I added a VR-910 center and I am very pleased with the sound and performance. My opinion: you get what you pay for. Bostons are very well built, quality speakers and carry a premium price for a reason. I got mine at Ultimate Electronics for half price because they were being replaced by the 975s which added 25 watts to each sub. They don't market their products like say, Bose so they don't get mentioned a lot.
Old 09-24-01, 09:02 AM

I have a complete Boston setup.

Fronts: VR950's
Center: VR910
Rears: CR8's

I love these speakers. Again, you don't see much talk about them on this forum because they are relatively expensive and not as mass-marketed as other brands. Boston does not allow online retail of their products.

However, I am fortunate to have a local retailer in KC who sells Boston products. I auditioned them against several other brands including Polk, NHT, and Klipsch.

Speakers can be judged by two basic dimensions: volume and clarity. There are louder speakers on the market, (i.e. Klipsch,) but very few can match the clarity of Boston.

For the record, Consumer Reports rated the Boston VR950's the best in a speaker comparison they conducted a few years ago.

These speakers are expensive, but they can be considered as an investment. Bottom line, buy Boston's and you will probably never need another set of speakers. My parents have an older set of Boston's that have lasted them 10 years now and they still sound fantastic. They just keep updating the receiver. Boston's also have a lifetime warrantee.

Of course, the bottom bottom line is just to use your ears.

- Brad
Old 09-24-01, 09:49 AM

Every home Boston speaker I've owned came with a five year warrantee. That being said, when my T-1000's were 6-1/2 years old, a leaky plant caused the wood (genuine walnut) on one to separate. Boston repaired the damage for free. I paid for one way shipping. That's another reason I buy their products. And I also agree with the previous post in that they're an investment. I'm even considering buying replacement woofers for these ($50 apiece x 4) so when foam rot eventually kicks in (although these speakers are perfect after 11 years) I'll be able to keep using them. I know they won't have replacement woofers available forever...
Old 09-24-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have set of hd10's that are about 8 years old on stands acting as my mains and a vr-12 (isn't that sucker huge??) for my center channel. and i love them. very clear and well defined speakers.

they don't seem to inflect any influence on the music....everything is nice and neutral. and of course, the vr12 can reproduce even the most demading sounds from any movie.

coupled with a subwoofer that i made, i've been more than happy with them!

cranky.