Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba 50H81+Iscan pro report

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-01, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a new 50H81 delivered after the first one died within a few days of delivery. Had fun watching the delivery guys haul the tv down from the 3rd floor. Had more fun watching them haul the new one up with the neighbor's cat lounging on the stairs.

The new tv works fine. It's been on a lot in the past few days, and it's not making any funny noises or displaying any extra lines.

I also recieved the dvdo iscan pro, which sent me on a cable hunt over the weekend to obtain a set of db-15s to component. My first find was a set of audioquest YIQ4s, which are about $475 for a meter... I settled on a set of YIQ1s that had a female RCA end, but with some quick cutting and soldering, a sex change was performed.

After tooling around with the settings with video essentials, I did a test with the sony 7000 hooking that up directly with the tv and then thru the iscan. The tv does a pretty good job with line doubling. You can see some jagged edges, but it's way better than a lot of other built in units I've seen. The Iscan does an even better job-it's pretty subtle, and the pic looks a bit soft at first, but the image becomes much more smooth and you notice more detail.

Next test was the PS2, which looked really nice thru the iscan. I'm not used to a big screen yet (had a proton 32"), so playing red faction and GT3 for 30 minutes started giving me a headache.

On to other sources. I have 2 sony SVO-2000 vcrs, and the star wars trilogy looked really good thru the iscan-much better than feeding a signal straight to the tv. No difference between s-video/composite and bypassing my jvc switcher. Everything looked the same, which it should.

My only complaint with this setup is that my cable tv has added noise when watching thru replaytv/vcr when compared to watching it thru the tv. I'm not sure if the toshiba is messing with the pic from the iscan or if the iscan is trying to overcompensate for my really crappy cable service. Either way, I'm trying to get help from SI to eliminate the noise problem-that's the only source with which the iscan has problems. There is no problem with stuff I recorded on my replaytv when I lived down in california and had decent cable, so I'm thinking the problem may lie with my current cable signal (thank you millenium digital). And adding a line amp to the cable line didn't help.

I'll be off in a few hours trying to do a mini-cannonball run to denver from the seattle area in a day, so I'll be back on sunday if anyone has any questions.