Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

wega & giant speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

wega & giant speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-01, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wega & giant speakers?

I have a 27 inch Sony Wega and my roommate is getting some huge speakers. I think they're klipsch klf or klh 30s (forgot whether it's klf or klh). Anyways, I've read that Wegas can get disorted colors if the speakers are too close. How far away should we keep them from the TV? They're not being used for DVDs, just music.

Also, what about super-tweeters?
Old 09-12-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The image gets distorted because of the magnets in the speakers. First I would check if the speaker manufacturer makes a shielded version of the same model. Otherwise I would say start about 8" away from the sides of the TV and if you see any image problems start moving them until you don't. BTW, this affects all directview TVs not just the Wega.

What exactly is you question regarding super tweeters? Basically its just another speaker for use only in the high-end range, usually 20,000Hz and above. The speaker will most likely have a 4-way crossover which will filter out anything lower than 20,000Hz for the super tweeter. Personally I don't like them because it can make the highs harsh sounding if the equipment you have feeping them is not very high quality.
Old 09-12-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Any video device including computer monitors will be affected by unshielded magnetic sources.
Old 09-12-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope for your ears sake they are Klipsch and NOT KLH
Old 09-12-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own Klipsch Towers and never had a problem with my 27" Panny or my new 47" Panny. The speakers are very close to my TV so they must be magnetically shielded. Before I bought the Klipsch, I had (2) old Infinity Bookshelf speakers that did distorte the picture on my 27" direct view if they were placed too close!
Old 09-12-01, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys. They're Klipsch KL<insert a letter here> 30s.

About the super tweeters.. I was asking how far away they should be from the TV. Anyone know? I don't think his ones are shielded.
Old 09-12-01, 12:31 PM

OK, they're the KLF-30. Does anyone know if it's shielded?
Old 09-12-01, 12:33 PM

Also, the image distortions aren't permanent, right? I wouldn't be happy if some permanent damage occured :-)
Old 09-12-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the distortions could be permanent if the speakers are not shielded.
A good rule of thumb (for unshielded speakers) is to have at least 18" from the speaker cabinet edge to the edge of your TV cabinet. Some speakers will need more space, others less.

You need to find out whether or not the speakers are magnetically shielded. The manual will tell you, or you can look it up on the web.
Old 09-12-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with edclem.

I'll also add that you should take 1 speaker and start with it 3 or 4 feet from the tv, and move it slowly towards the tv. As soon as you see any amount of distortion on the tv, move it a bit farther away very quickly. If you do this slowly (and then quickly) enough, your tv should be ok.
Old 09-12-01, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by CrazeeDonkee
Thanks guys. They're Klipsch KL<insert a letter here> 30s.

About the super tweeters.. I was asking how far away they should be from the TV. Anyone know? I don't think his ones are shielded.
Are you using seperate external super tweeters???
Old 09-12-01, 02:52 PM

I'm not, but my roommate is. Why, are they bad for TVs?
Old 09-12-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything with a magnet is bad for tube tv's.

Put the TV on an unused video source(doing this on my tv gives me a blue screen)

Whatever color yours is, if there is any fading of color or different colors(usually red, green or blue) along the edes of the screen move the speakers farther away until the screen is a solid color.

If the problem is burnt in you will need to press the deguass button or if you don't have a deguass option unplug the TV for a while to reset the tube.

I would also recommend scrapping the external "Super Tweeters" as they are probably adding no benifit to the setup.
Old 09-12-01, 03:52 PM

Yes don't add external super tweeters! It will sound like crap, trust me. You are going to need an excellent quality 4-way crossover or filter and amp to run the super tweeters, if not the highs will sound very harsh and make listening very unpleasant. Besides anything above 20,000Hz just doesn't matter too much. Remember the human ear can really only hear in the range of 20Hz to 20,000Hz, for the most part.

Last edited by palebluedot; 09-12-01 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-12-01, 08:40 PM

Well, the big tower speakers & super tweeters are my roommates. I can't really just tell him no and he'll probably be stubborn and want to keep them. I don't use them for my DVD-watching, so I don't really mind :-)
Old 09-14-01, 11:21 PM
0ne

Degauss

Find out how to get into the TV's service menu, and Degauss the set. This SHOULD get rid of most of the distortion on the set if the tv was not exposed to a magnet for prolonged periods.
Old 09-15-01, 01:16 AM

I actually had a scare today. There was a huge discolored spot in the top left corner of the TV. I unplugged the TV and it went away when I plugged it back in. Damn roommates put a supertweeter on top of the TV!