Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Line Conditioner Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like some opinions on using line conditioners with your home theater. I'm currently just using a Monster power strip that is just a surge protector. I believe I had a power surge yesterday because my RPTV made a popping noise and the picture went out for one or two seconds. The red power light on the TV never went out. When the picture came back on everything was back to normal. Also, the TV didn't change modes or anything--it stayed in FULL(this is on a Toshiba 65H81). Apparently a loss in power momentarily shut off the CRT drive. Does this sound like something that could be prevented by a good line conditioner? I ordered a Panamax Max 500 DBS and it should be here by Wednesday.

Also, for those using line conditioners, can you notice a positive difference in your sound and picture? I have a pretty nice receiver and decent speakers (Denon & Paradigm), so I'm hoping to see some benefit there as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use a battery backup with a built-in line conditioner for my TV, receiver, & DVD player. The purpose is not to be able to watch movies while the rest of the block is dark, but to allow me ample time to properly shut everything down.
I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the sound or picture, but it lets me sleep much better knowing that my equipment is protected against those unpredictable sags & surges.
Recently, we were watching TV, and for about 1 second, all the lights went out. The alarm on the UPS went off, but the TV never flinched. That was the best feeling knowing that small investment may have just saved me a huge repair bill. I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to repair a fried rear protection HDTV.
Old 09-10-01, 05:56 PM

a line conditioner will not prevent a loss in power-you'll need a UPS/voltage regulator for that. The line conditioner will protect against surges and sometimes clean up the sound/picture by protecting it from interference-usually from other electrically noisy appliances you already have.

I have one of those monster cable thing-not sure which model, but it's the one that sells for $199 and has 12 outlets. On the sound side, I haven't noticed one bit of difference. I have noticed that with other things running (vacuum, microwave, blender), there is no longer interference with the tv.

If you're building/remodeling and into home theater and clean power, consider installing a dedicated circuit for your gear. Then you won't have to blow money on stuff like this.