DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Home Theater Direct (Hey Reverb) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/140217-home-theater-direct-hey-reverb.html)

SteveSatch 09-06-01 10:22 PM

Home Theater Direct (Hey Reverb)

You mentioned you the HTD might not be the best choice for a music setup.
Can you comment on how they sound with music? I'm looking real hard at them and the nOrh 4.0 set.
For the HTD I'm looking at both towers and bookshelf (I haven't decided yet). Room size is about 20 feet by 25 feet, use is about 65% movies and 35% music. Will be paired with Adire Dharman sub. I just can't decide between the HTD and the nOrh. I really want four HTD towers but it's MORE than the nOrh and I fear it won't sound as good, especially with music.
Thanks,
Steve

skar 09-06-01 10:58 PM

If you are looking for towers for both music and HT, I really like the Paradigm Phantoms. Only $399 retail a pair, they are a wonderful value.

reverb 09-07-01 12:06 AM

Wow, I have to admit that I would likely go with the Norh over HTD, for both HT and music. My earlier recommendations were based on cost, and I put the Norh 4.0's in a higher cost bracket. I did not select HTD towers, mainly because, at that price point, I begin to look at other options (like B&W, ceramic Norh's, others...). Also, HT caters to bang-for-the-buck setups specifically becuase of the incorporation of a sub, which allows for the use of less expensive monitor speakers (as opposed to more expensive full-range transducers).

Regarding how they sound with music, I can't make a truly informed comment because I have an entirely different setup for music. Unlike many, I sincerely believe that what makes a good HT setup doesn't necessarily make a good two-channel music setup. I think the HTD excel at what they were specifically designed at marketed for - HT. I have only placed them based on HT use. And bang for the buck, as I do maintain that music system.

I strongly recommend you search over at HTF and at AVS, which should make for plenty of reading. Sorry for the half-ass response.

Example of what I consider huge value system for HT (and of course, there are other options):
HTD L3 center
HTD L3 bookshelf front mains
HTD L2 bookshelf surrounds (new version w/L3 tweeter)

SteveSatch 09-07-01 12:26 AM

Reverb, thanks for the quick reply. I've searched and studied every board for weeks! The only sure decision I made was the Dharman sub at $550 delivered : ) I'm replacing an Energy Take 5 setup that I like for movies, but not for music. One thing I'm factoring in for cost is the HTD towers come on stands, not need to buy. The bookshelf don't and the HTD stands are $79 a pair. I'm worried about the tough placement/stand situation of the nOrh.
Steve

reverb 09-07-01 07:31 PM

SteveSatch,

With irony considering the previous discussion, and to be completely forthcoming, I should note that I may be replacing my HTD's with PSB Alphas. The reason is that the HTD bookshelf's are quite large, and due to a possible move my two-channel and HT systems may share a space/room. As my priority is music, space goes to those speaks. And as I noted in the previous thread, I do like PSB and they can be had very cheap, less than HTD.

Eric S 09-07-01 07:58 PM

One other note in favor of the III towers over the III bookshelves is the fact that the towers are front-ported, the bookshelves rear-ported. If you can't give them enough room behind them, it will affect the sound quality.

I've got LIII bookshelf speakers for all 4 left and rights, and I'm happy with them, but I'm only a music listener, not an audiophile.

SteveSatch 09-08-01 12:59 AM

If you decide to sell the HTD reverb let me know. I'm in So Cal too.

DeathAdder 09-08-01 08:07 AM

Originally posted by skar
If you are looking for towers for both music and HT, I really like the Paradigm Phantoms. Only $399 retail a pair, they are a wonderful value.
Do you know where I can get these cheaper than retail? I am actually thinking about getting these and psb alphas for my center and surround. LMK what you guys think or is it not good to mix speakers up like that?

nekobus 09-08-01 11:42 AM

Originally posted by reverb
SteveSatch,

With irony considering the previous discussion, and to be completely forthcoming, I should note that I may be replacing my HTD's with PSB Alphas. The reason is that the HTD bookshelf's are quite large, and due to a possible move my two-channel and HT systems may share a space/room. As my priority is music, space goes to those speaks. And as I noted in the previous thread, I do like PSB and they can be had very cheap, less than HTD.

So which Alphas did you end up with?

reverb 09-08-01 02:29 PM

Originally posted by nekobus
So which Alphas did you end up with?
If I go with the PSB's it will prob be the now discontinued PSB Alpha A/V for the front mains and rear surrounds, and the Alpha Center. I would really like to learn more about the Alpha Center in regards to blending with the A/V and dispersion/off axis performance... If anyone can direct me to any review/articles or has any personal experience please post (including Michael).

nekobus 09-08-01 04:13 PM

Originally posted by reverb

If I go with the PSB's it will prob be the now discontinued PSB Alpha A/V for the front mains and rear surrounds, and the Alpha Center. I would really like to learn more about the Alpha Center in regards to blending with the A/V and dispersion/off axis performance... If anyone can direct me to any review/articles or has any personal experience please post (including Michael).

The Alpha Center blends in perfectly with the A/Vs. It sounds very nice, much better than using an Intro CLR. We have a set of 4 A/Vs with an Alpha Center in our secondary HT room.

Interestingly enough, my local dealer, who was always willing to cut people some slack on prices, is no longer willing to do so on the A/V's now that they have been discountinued. He says that "interest in them is stronger now more than ever". Prices on the net also seem to be rising.

Seems like the best thing psb ever did to create interest in the A/V was to stop production.

reverb 09-08-01 04:59 PM

Steve, YGM.

nekobus, thanks for the reply. May I ask what you power the speaks with? What receiver or separates?

nekobus 09-08-01 06:27 PM

Sorry, I should have thrown that info in my post, we're using an Onkyo TX-DS575X.