DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVDO Iscan Pro v3 and other questions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/139904-dvdo-iscan-pro-v3-other-questions.html)

TechPrep 09-05-01 09:24 PM

DVDO Iscan Pro v3 and other questions

Ok, bear with me if these are stupid questions, but I want to cover all the bases.

I just bought my first projector (7" CRT, used) and know I need to get a line doubler for better quality.

1) I notice on E-bay that they have an Iscan Pro v3 for around $600+ but the DVDO website doesn't seem to have any info on it (is that weird? or is it just me?) or should I just get the v2?

2) I am thinking that I want to get a widescreen fixed screen (16:9) for the wall (probably 80"x45") because I plan on using the projector mainly for DVD watching. But in the rare instance that I might want to watch 4:3 material, or play video games, will I be able to squish the image to fit into that screen(with bars on the sides I imagine)? Or do I have to get a 4:3 screen and go letterbox? (the 16:9 screen would fit the wallspace without any trouble vs. the 4:3)

2.a) Where's the best source for quality/value/price on screens? What gain do you think is best for a Sony 1271Q?

3) I see alot talk about using HTPC for playback, but what's wrong with using my great old reliable Panasonic RV30 if run through the doubler?

I'm sure I'll come up with other questions as I get rolling along, but I just want to start the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

TechPrep 09-06-01 05:27 PM

Bump.

Surely someone must have an opinion???

DeadGnat 09-07-01 05:05 AM

I'll try to answer some of your questions...

The so called v3 on ebay is the iscan pro. The same thing on the dvdo/silicon image website. The v2 you're looking at is the iscan plus (not pro), and the 2nd generation iscan product, which is still available. The iscan pro is called the v3 by some since it's the 3rd generation of this product. Don't buy the iscan plus v2 unless there are compatibility issues with the pro and it's the only thing you can use.

I would go with a widescreen screen. You will either have some blank space on the sides of the screen or if you have a zoom/stretch feature, you can alter the pic to fit the screen.

As for playback sources, the only reason to go with new technology is that if offers improvements on your old stuff. A line doubler will eliminate the need for a progressive scan capability in any component-and the iscan also has 3:2 pulldown so you won't need that either. So you can stick with your old stuff-you'll probably bypass all the new features anyway if you're using a doubler.

And I have no idea where to get a good screen. Someone else take this.

Mayday 09-07-01 11:47 AM

might try asking this at avsforum.com or hometheaterforum.com
I would suggest the avsforum first.

skar 09-07-01 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Mayday
might try asking this at avsforum.com or hometheaterforum.com
I would suggest the avsforum first.

I second avsforum. Many of the posters there use external line doublers. Here I'm guessing very few do.