Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I ordered my TV today!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I ordered my TV today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my TV today!

Today I went to sears and internet pricematched a brand new Toshiba 50H81. It is going to be delivered Friday. I cannot wait to enjoy widescreen high-def glory!!!

Anyone have this TV and have any input? First thing I'm gonna do is drop the brightness and contrast down, then run it through the Video Essentials.

I can't wait until Friday!
Old 09-03-01, 03:28 PM

I just bought the thing yesterday-got it delivered last night. I ran it through a VE disc to adjust color-today I'll mess with grayscale, but I don't want to do a full calibration until I've used it a few months.

If you have a weak signal, it won't look that good on the screen-my area is only served by a cheap a$$ weak signal independent cable company and cable doesn't look too good. DVDs look amazing-you'll have to use theater wide 1 mode for full screen, not normal (setting 0) for dvds.

The only bad thing is that I've noticed that the tv has trouble with switching sources through my switcher-I have 7 components running through a switcher, then onto a DVDO iscan, which de-interlaces the pic, then into the tv-when switching from something 4:3 like my replay tv to a dvd in 16:9 mode, the tv sometimes freaks out and doesn't know what to do-I may have to dedicate one input for 4:3 sources and another for 16:9.

How much did you pay for the thing? I had it dropped to $2150 including tax and then had to pay $100 for shipping since i live 70+ miles away and up on the 3rd floor without an elevator. That matches onecall's price, though they'd charge me extra for tax (I live in WA) and the nasty stairclimb.
Old 09-03-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DeadGnat
How much did you pay for the thing? I had it dropped to $2150 including tax and then had to pay $100 for shipping since i live 70+ miles away and up on the 3rd floor without an elevator. That matches onecall's price, though they'd charge me extra for tax (I live in WA) and the nasty stairclimb.
I pricematched at Sears with continentaltrade.com so it came to $2095 + tax and $40 shipping.

I'll be switching through my receiver into component and S-video, which shouldn't be a problem. What kind of switcher do you have?
Old 09-03-01, 04:00 PM

I have a JVC JX-S700. It's a 7 input switcher with lots of outs for my editing system-and converts composite to s-video, does the opposite, and doesn't color the picture like my preamp does.
Old 09-04-01, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

SWEET, can I come over?

Congrats
Old 09-04-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bfrank
SWEET, can I come over?

Congrats
I think you'll like my sound... Infinity RS3's and a CC3 center.
Old 09-04-01, 08:14 PM
Li

Do most Sears Internet price match? Someone told me they'd done that at their local Sears for a DVD player, but when I called mine and asked them if they did the same thing, they told me that they would only price match from somewhere if it were on their "list". Did you just walk in and they price matched it willingly? Thanks.
Old 09-04-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Li
Do most Sears Internet price match? Someone told me they'd done that at their local Sears for a DVD player, but when I called mine and asked them if they did the same thing, they told me that they would only price match from somewhere if it were on their "list". Did you just walk in and they price matched it willingly? Thanks.
So far I've price matched a receiver and the TV just by going in with a printout from the website. You have to add the cost of shipping. Both times they went in the back and called the sites to confirm the price and availability.

I've noticed that most people have been successful in doing this pricematch. Some people have had to go back and talk to different sales people.

They should do it. Here is the exact wording from the sears website:

"If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected]."
Old 09-07-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here it is... delivery day. It is supposed to be here between 9:15 and 11:15. What really sucks is that I have to go to work after it is delivered. I don't know how I will get anything done.

I wish they would hurry. This is killing me.
Old 09-08-01, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please tell us how it is!
Old 09-08-01, 11:53 PM

My 50H81 has already met an untimely death after last sunday's delivery. It went into a shutdown mode, locked up, and now the CRTs won't fire. Resetting the unit doesn't do anything. To make matters worse, toshiba has no service center that works in my area, and while they can pay a local service center to repair it, none of them have any experience with that tv, so I'm going to swap it out tomorrow with another set and hope that it works OK.

I'm getting the new dvdo iscan pro on tuesday to replace my first generation unit. That should make things look better. Anyone know where I can get a good quality db15 (VGA) to component cable?
Old 09-09-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
Please tell us how it is!
Awesome picture. It's like my DVD's are an all new format. Size makes a huge difference. Overall, I really like the TV, but it has a problem. After it is on for more than 2 hours or so, moving lines form all over the screen. If I turn it off for an hour or so, they go away. I'm gonna get Sears out here hopefully this week to look at it. Once this is taken care of, things will be nice.