Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need TV recommendation

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need TV recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-01, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need TV recommendation

It's time to move the proton over to the bedroom, so I need a new TV. I have about $2700 to spend-I thought about the Sony 36XBR450, but the best price around here (seattle area) is $2650 with the wega stand and delivery from the good guys. I'm thinking of going to costco and hiring a delivery company since it's $2000 there-so I figure $2250 with delivery/tax.

Are there any RPTVs I should be looking at? I don't like the Toshiba 40H80 that much. Anyone try out the new panasonic, mitsubishi 46" or the Hitatchi 43"? Is the Toshiba 42H81 worth waiting for?

I don't have satellite-just really crappy cable. I do have an extensive library of dvds, so widescreen is a plus.
Old 09-02-01, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At that price range I would consider larger RPTV's like the Toshiba 57H81, Toshiba 65H80, or Mitsubishi 55807. Or go all out and get the NEC LT150 DLP projector.
Old 09-02-01, 03:18 AM

I'm going to get a larger tv when the house is finished-I have my eye on the marantz 65", but I need something to get by in the meantime. I'm on the 3rd floor (no elevator), so I don't think anything larger than a 50" is going to make the stairclimb. The larger sets that come apart will be OK, but I don't have the room for them now.
Old 09-02-01, 11:18 PM

I ended up with the Toshiba 50H81 today for $2250 including delivery. I'm warming the sucker up right now and I'm going to do some adjusting to the pic. Hopefully the pic will look good.