DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Poll: Best company for entry level DVD players (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/138435-poll-best-company-entry-level-dvd-players.html)

MACD23 08-31-01 09:33 AM

Poll: Best company for entry level DVD players

overall quality, looks, durability and performance should be considered. assume the price range $200-$300 on all models from all the companies listed.

kinky 08-31-01 09:50 AM

Toshiba ... absolutely.

The SD2109, SD1200 are the best for the starter, absolutely no problems with "problem" dvds.

Easy to set up, newbie-friendly menus.
Component video/s-video support
Handled Matrix, Abyss etc with no problems.

The only problem I've seen with my 2109 is with the menus on the AVIA disc, but there is a very easy work-around for it.

I used by 2109 for almost 3 years before replacing it the Malata progressive player last month.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Toshiba !!

MACD23 08-31-01 10:05 AM

cool, i bought the SD 1200 from toshiba a few months ago (as a discontinued model sold at sears i picked it up for $140 --i had to get a floor model hence an additional 20% off). seeing it was a floor model and i was paying bare bones for it, i opted for an extended warranty with free full cleaning at the end of the year ($29.95).

it has performed so well, i have had so few problems, i am almost afraid to take it in for the cleaning!! i don't want anything to get screwed up!!!! the player is easy to understand, not over complicated, but it has plenty of good features, such as a 3x zoom which you can scan around the picture to get the area u want zoomed in on. the back has all the output and input jacks you need for future expansion to a home theater system.

the only problem with mine [and this is in no way a big deal] is when i push the 'display' button on my remote and it displays ON SCREEN the time elapsed, time remaining, time elapsed in chapter, time remaining in chapter, etc etc etc it gives the on screen display with all that stuff and the little display on the player shows the overall time remaining. well i want to be able to watch the film with the time remaining on the dvd player display but not all the jargon onscreen. i tried turning "on screen displays -OFF" in the settings menu, and that works for all on screen displays EXCEPT the time remaining, time elapsed, time reminaing in chapter, time elapsed in chapter, etc etc. so thats my only complaint. not sure if its a glitch or if i am missing something.

otherwise its a fantastic player. i think when new it was like $249. so for $140 you can't beat it!!!!

El Pollo 08-31-01 02:23 PM

Though I'm at the point now where no available DVD player has what I want in my "perfect player", it's nice to know there's plenty of value in the lower end compared to my old Toshiba 3107 that I bought for $700 plus. Maybe if you put a Denon 2800 together with a Panasonic RP-91 feature-wise, then work out all the glitches, then you've got me.

My vote is Pioneer. The 525, 333, and 343 seem to have the least amount of trouble from my unscientific sampling of these forums. :) Sure my 525 and friend's 333 don't look as nice as some higher end players, but at that price point, the fact that they've played every DVD in our combined 400 DVD collection (500+ with some crossover) without major hitches is nice. Plus, the user setting memory for 15 or so DVDs is a nice feature that at least alleviates the annoying problem with Columbia Tri-Star / some Fox / some Paramount DVDs defaulting to Dolby 2.0.

skar 08-31-01 02:42 PM

Gotta love the Panasonic RV31.

WarSong 08-31-01 03:08 PM

Panasonic RV-31 0wnz

Plus you can usually get it for under $200.

Alyoshka 08-31-01 04:40 PM

I've got the Panasonic RV-30 and love it.

nekobus 08-31-01 08:38 PM

Pioneer. The current 343 is low priced, trouble-free, has a long warranty, well written instructions, plays lots of formats, plays troublesome discs without problems.

Very nice picture and sound. Good specs with component and optical outputs. Can be purchased for only $135. The perfect Christmas gift to introduce your fellow family members to the joys of DVD. -wink-

Geofferson 08-31-01 08:41 PM

Toshiba, without a doubt.

MACD23 09-06-01 06:06 PM

c'mon, lets get some more votes.

gspot 09-07-01 05:33 PM

Anyone know if any of the Samsung DVD players are any good? Was thinking about getting one of the NUON ones or the M301 model. Just curious cuz no one has mentioned Samsung at all.

Trix 09-07-01 06:35 PM

Samsung DVD-M301 Single-Disc DVD/CD Player

Seems like the best value to me. Hi-Fi is selling it for 169.99, but ******** is giving a rebate on Hi-Fi plus a $20 off coupon. On top of that, Hi-Fi is giving away 3 DVDs with purchase. So, I think its definately the best deal.

It plays MP3 which is great for me!

What does everyone else think? i am pretty close to wanting to buy it? Anyone know, if its good price/performance wise?

William Ward 09-08-01 12:32 AM

I voted JVC because for $250 you get a progressive scan player (entry level and rather future proof as well) which also does the scaling of non-anamorphic DVD's to give a better picture than simply zooming on a WS set. It was a tie between Panasonic and JVC but the scaling feature and digital coaxial output(panny only has optical) helped the JVC pull it out.

If you're considering getting a player in the $200-300 range this is the one. JVC XVS 65GD/62SL/60BK.

MACD23 09-08-01 03:50 PM

wow, sony has gotten quite a resurgence.......those who haven't voted voice your opinion

Bose Pro 09-09-01 07:10 PM

Nice poll, although I personally though Onkyo should have been included. Their new S555 player retails for $299 (within the entry level price rabge), plays CD-R, CD-RW, CDV, AND .MP3. Definately a nice DVD player.

I personally voted for Sony because I have had little problems with their durability and playback.

-Jeff

MACD23 09-10-01 09:59 PM

interesting, sharp hasn't gotten a single vote......