Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Video issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video issues

ok, let me give you the quick rundown. Just bought a Bose Acoustimass15 set along with an Onkio Receiver (not sure which model. the $500 one). All the audio seems to be working fine, but I'm having issues with the video out to my JVC tv. I am using S Video between the DVD player and the receiver, and regular video cables between my PS2 and receiver. The PS2 is set up as video2. I have both a regular video cable and S Video cable going to the tv from the receiver. The S Video seems to be the master for Video in. I can't see the PS2 if the S Video is plugged in. I looked into the options of the TV and don't see anywhere that I can select a second video option. Any recommendations here? I have a RCA set that I can use as well, but I don't see any different options there, either.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-22-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know your receiver, but since s-video is a much better signal, I'd recommend getting an s-video cable for the PS2, then you won't have the issue. I know on TVs that s-video takes precedence over RCA inputs, but I thought that was only if both are transmitting signals at the same time. On my set at least, I can still see the RCA input if no s-video is transmitted, but as soon as the s-video comes in the RCA switches off and the s-video starts up. It might depend on the TV in that aspect.
Old 08-23-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Panasonic TV does this also. If S-video cable is plugged in it overrides the composite (RCA). On mine it does not matter if there is a signal or not, the S-video overrides if a cable is attached. Sounds like that is your issue.

I got an S video splitter box (anywhere between $30 - $150, depending on features, I got the $30 model) and hooked up everything S-video...

Old 08-23-01, 09:06 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look into S video for the PS2. But then I'd have to work with my Satellite receiver as well. I think that has an S video option... If that doesn't work, I'm going with RCA for the whole thing.
Old 08-23-01, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by sniper308

I got an S video splitter box (anywhere between $30 - $150, depending on features, I got the $30 model) and hooked up everything S-video...

S video Splitter box? Didn't know about that option. I'll have to look into that as well. Thanks!
Old 08-23-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your dish should have S Video, I think most any digital source has S Video ...