Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV and RPTV concerns *hot topic*

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning to get me a pioneer pro610 or something similar. Now i might wait to see what develops or here what pioneer is doing. Emailed pioneer tonight about it.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015172.html
Old 08-18-01, 11:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
There's a lot of reading there, but as an owner of a 510HD I am still very happy I bought it a year ago. HDTV was not my major goal, after all, it's still TV. Potentially beautiful, but still crap for the source material.

I got it for what it can do today and the versatile interfaces it provides. DVD's are great, cable TV is kinda great (for whatever that matters), and it has a wonderful VGA input that lets me feed whatever I want my home theater computer to output to it.

I would be more concerned about the newer Pioneer models coming out within a few months.
Old 08-19-01, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Okay, now I am waiting another year until things settle.
Old 08-19-01, 12:24 AM
omi

This sucks!

I was waiting for the new Pioneer Elite models to come out next month and it doesn't appear to have these new digital connections. Guess I'll have to wait too.
Old 08-19-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Since the beginning of HDTVs, I've heard about them sporting firewire, seems it's finally going to happen.

But is really messed up with what is going on. I smell lots and lots of lawsuits and lost customers.
Old 08-19-01, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading about this a lot at hometheaterspot.com, too. I agree that it's worrisome and irritating, but I'm through waiting to get a widescreen TV. I finally sold my 4:3 RPTV, so I'm ready to make a purchase. If you're like me and can't get OTA channels anyway, you're not missing a heck of a lot with HDTV. I could get Dish Network and watch panned and scanned HD movies on HBO. They also have Showtime. Hardly worth it if you ask me. By the time cable and satellite companies make a significant amount of high-def programming available, I'll probably be ready for a new TV anyway (I kept my last one a year and a half, and it cost almost as much as I'm paying for an HDTV).