DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

portable DVD players

Old 08-17-01, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
portable DVD players

I really want a portable DVD player, but I'm not sure if they're worth it. I know you can hook it up to your tv, but is the video quality good enough? Should I get one or not??? and if so which brand?
Old 08-17-01, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had access to the little Sony for some time and I like it. But, I'd hardly fork over the bucks for this.

Even the cheapest ones are still $400-500. I'd sink that money into a laptop these days that a single purpose little player.

-Beebs
Old 08-17-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have any other reason to use a laptop (business tax deduction?), than a laptop makes a lot of sense. But, when you shop, try to get one that has A/V outputs, including a digital sound output.

I bought a Compaq Presario a while ago for work that has a DVD player, and it's been very cool to travel and watch movies in 14.1" color. Nice for the kids in the car on long trips. Great at hotels instead of the pay spankov^H^H^H movie channel.

But it sucks for having more than one person watch it. I borrowed a Sony VAIO and it was awesome with outputs that I could use to hook it up to a TV set in a hotel.

I *also* bought a portable DVD player, because the players can have some nice features. Typically, they are smaller, which works okay right in front of one person. Mine has digital sound output and video outputs. Battery life is much better than my laptop, and it's a lot smaller/easier to tote. And my portable was $300, laptop was almost $2000.

I have the Panasonic LV-55, which I can also use as a secondary DVD player. There was a thread a couple months ago about this unit at Costco with two $100 rebates, one from Panasonic, one from Costco.
Old 08-17-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own one, it's real nice. When hooked up to a TV the quality is table-top quality. Panasonic is the best way to go with these. I have a 5" screen player, which has great quality. I hear that 7" screens have less pixels and the quality isn't as good, but I'd still go with the "LV75" model any day.

I've tried a DVD with a laptop and it was pretty smooth, but since the portable dvd screens are widescreen you experience a no black barred (which many people hate) picture. A laptop's screen is bigger though.
Old 08-17-01, 11:34 PM
Li

Ah, yes. This is has been discussed in the DVD & Home Theater Hardware Forum a few times, and has been become a popular subject for, say, me.

Ok, I've done a lot of research on these little buggers and I've come to this conclusion: if you want a good portable DVD player, go with Panasonic. I had a Pioneer PDV-LC10 (7" screen) and had quite a few problems. The screen was a bit on the grainy side, and the battery was quite bulky.

First, you have to decide how big you want the screen to be. Smaller screens cost less, and believe me, are not un-watchable (in fact, they, a lot of the time, produce a much "sharper" picture than larger screens). If you decide a 5" would be sufficient, I'd recommend the

Panasonic L50 -----> http://www.geocities.com/japkaiwii/l50.html

Panasonic LV55 ---> http://www.geocities.com/japkaiwii/lv55.html

The L50 is quite small. In fact, it’s almost the size of a Jewel CD Case (it’s just big enough to fit the DVD) .

The LV55 is larger, but not “large” by any means. It’s about the size of a DVD keeper case. Put one of those cases in your hands and image your holding a portable DVD player. Hard to image it could be that small, huh?

If you feel that the 5” screen is too small for you, there are players make with 7” screens. Again, I’d go with a Panasonic. That would be

Panasonic LV75 ---> http://www.geocities.com/japkaiwii/lv75.html

It’s almost identical to the LV55, with the exception of the screen size. While I hear the screen might not be as “sharp” as a 5” screen, hey, it’s bigger, right? Most of the time bigger is better, but with portable DVD players, it’s personal preference. While I haven’t had the opportunity to watch a couple films on a 5”, I did have a 7” Pioneer (just sold it because it was a piece of crap, though, unfortunately) for a couple of weeks, and though it didn’t have the best picture, it was very enjoyable to watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Akira and Unbreakable while on a cruise and while riding to and from port.

I’ve read MANY great reviews for the Panasonic LV75, and have heard little disappointment with it. Most people are very impressed my it’s picture.

There are 8” portables out. Two, actually. The Sharp L80U and the Toshiba SD-P1500. Now, I saw the Toshiba at a Best Buy the other day, and while the screen was large, the picture was rather lacking. The 5” LV55 that was sitting beside it pretty much blew it away. I’m not so sure about the Sharp’s picture, but from picture I’ve seen, it’s suffering from a very poor set-up. There isn’t even a “disc menu” button on the player. Most normal functions have to be controlled by the remote, and I’m sure that’d be a pain. On the flip side, Costco.com has the Sharp L80U for $549.99 (which is a great price for a portable DVD player, especially for an 8”), so if you think you could live with it’s flaws, it might be a good deal.

About prices. If you buy from a store like Best Buy, you’re going to be paying quite a bit more than, lets say, online. There are quite a few good deals online. Try searching Mysimon.com.

I'm not exactly sure if I'd want to dish out the $1000-$2000 it takes to get a good laptop. I don’t know, they just don’t seem as small (portable) and “neat”. IMO, it’s worth paying $500-$600 on a portable DVD player. Not only will it impress anyone you show it to, it can also serve as a second, traditional DVD player that you can take with you wherever you go.

Hope I’ve helped some.
Old 08-18-01, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, they can hook up to your TV. I bought the L-50, using the Costco/Panasonic rebate. I think the players are very cool, and it only cost $299. I had always really wanted one, and the low price justified buying it.

I've been very satisfied with it. I would not, however, recommend paying more that $400 for one.
Old 08-18-01, 01:04 AM
Li

Yeah, it's too bad that those rebates are none existant at this point.

You could probably score an L50 or LV55 off Ebay for $300-$400, including new, unopened units, though. They don't go for much more than that. It's just a matter of finding someone that is selling one.

Last edited by Li; 08-18-01 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-18-01, 10:59 AM

I have the Toshiba SD-P1000

The 5.8 inch screen is very sharp and great for one person.
For me the LCD is just an added bonus because many places I go a tv is available.
Progressive Scan, DVD-Rom, component video.. etc
A great player and can be found for less than $500

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/portable/SDP1000.htm
Old 08-18-01, 11:25 AM
Banned

why waste all the money just for a portable dvd player? buy a nice laptop with a dvd rom drive. then its worth it.
--just my $.02
Old 08-18-01, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to believe that the prices on these little things will come down sooner or later.
Old 08-18-01, 12:34 PM
Li

Originally posted by Ksnyder
I have the Toshiba SD-P1000
Great, someone who has one of these! I've heard the picture is great, and I've seen a 5.8 inch screen (Aiwa XD-DW5), and it seemed like a pretty good size. Ah, the only thing I'd be concerned about would be this: Most (around 80%) of the DVDs I own right now are anime, and I prefer to watch them subtitled. I'm afraid that the subtitles might get too eye straining to read. It probably wouldn't be a problem, but who knows.

Exactly how small is this thing? I mean, there are only like a total of one or two pictures of this player floating around on the Internet, and that’s not much to go on. Looks small, though.

A cousin of mine bought a used Panasonic L50 off Ebay the other day. When he gets it, I'll have to test it. If I have no trouble reading subtitles on a 5" screen, then I doubt a 5.8" would be a problem.

In all likely hood, if I get another portable DVD player, it’ll probably be an LV75. I mean, I know a laptop would probably be more useful, but I know very little about them. I’d have no idea what to look for. How much does a quality laptop go for these days, anyway? Anyone have any recommendations that I could look into?
Old 08-18-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JDF5244
I have to believe that the prices on these little things will come down sooner or later.
I thought that the $300 was a pretty good price. Also, as a general tip, I've found that buying older, high-end equipment with rebates and discounts is better than buying newer consumer priced stuff.
Old 08-18-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Li, I bought a Compaq Presario laptop with 13.3" screen and DVD drive for $999. I've since seen it for $899. The ones with 14.1" screens are quite a bit better (bigger hard drive, significant difference in screen size even though it doesn't sound like much, etc.), but they cost considerably more. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one online for quite a bit less than $899, too.

For those who own both a laptop and portable DVD player: which has the better picture in your opinion? I was looking at the portables at Best Buy and in some ways the LCD screen on the portables looked clearer (although a lot smaller). I'm still halfway tempted to get a cheap Aiwa or Panasonic portable if I find a really good deal on one.
Old 08-18-01, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Li

Great, someone who has one of these! I've heard the picture is great, and I've seen a 5.8 inch screen (Aiwa XD-DW5), and it seemed like a pretty good size. Ah, the only thing I'd be concerned about would be this: Most (around 80%) of the DVDs I own right now are anime, and I prefer to watch them subtitled. I'm afraid that the subtitles might get too eye straining to read. It probably wouldn't be a problem, but who knows.

The LCD image quality very sharp and incredible, everything I've watched looks great but I watched CTHD with subtitles on and did not like the fact that the subs were pushed up into the picture due to the wide screen. It was also a bit annoying reading them on the small screen.

Exactly how small is this thing? I mean, there are only like a total of one or two pictures of this player floating around on the Internet, and that’s not much to go on. Looks small, though.

About the size of a CD player but thicker, very small.

A cousin of mine bought a used Panasonic L50 off Ebay the other day. When he gets it, I'll have to test it. If I have no trouble reading subtitles on a 5" screen, then I doubt a 5.8" would be a problem.

In all likely hood, if I get another portable DVD player, it’ll probably be an LV75. I mean, I know a laptop would probably be more useful, but I know very little about them. I’d have no idea what to look for. How much does a quality laptop go for these days, anyway? Anyone have any recommendations that I could look into?
Old 08-18-01, 11:09 PM
Li

Originally posted by Ksnyder

The LCD image quality very sharp and incredible, everything I've watched looks great but I watched CTHD with subtitles on and did not like the fact that the subs were pushed up into the picture due to the wide screen. It was also a bit annoying reading them on the small screen.

I see, thanks. I really didn't mind it that much (subtitles being on the picture) while watching CTHD on my former Pioneer. I guess because that's the way it always is with anime, and I've gotten used to it. If it's annoying on a 5.8", I can't imagine a 5".
Old 08-19-01, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone got any reviews for the Audiovox DV1680 6.8 inch LCD Portable DVD Player?
Old 08-19-01, 12:58 PM
Li

Originally posted by MarkHoltz
Anyone got any reviews for the Audiovox DV1680 6.8 inch LCD Portable DVD Player?
Well, I know I've seen one of these somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it again (looked, but no luck).

Anyway, with most movies being released in widescreen these days, a 4:3 screen would probably be pretty pointless, wouldn't it? 2:35:1 films would especially small (like on a normal television).
Old 08-19-01, 10:08 PM
Li

Hey Ksnyder, I see in the pictures that there is a see through plactic area on the base of the Toshiba SD-P1000 where you can see the disc spinning. Does that get annoying to look at (a spinning disc)? I've seen another player with the same feature, and it sort of got my nerves a little. Thanks.
Old 08-20-01, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know anything about the RCA portable that is on sale at Target right now for $499.99? I like the design, but I would also like to know how it works. Another thing, can you use one of those cigarette lighter power converters to run a portable DVD player in your car?

thanks in advance
Old 08-20-01, 09:05 PM

those cigarette lighter power converters to run a portable DVD player in your car?
Yes but you have to get the right one. Some do not work with portable DVD players. They have one that works at WalMart for around 15.00.

I picked up an A/C to DC converter at Costco for around 30.00. It had two A/C plugs that works nicely with the dvd and another device like 'powered' labtec speakers.
Old 08-21-01, 12:46 AM
Li

Originally posted by viscera
anyone know anything about the RCA portable that is on sale at Target right now for $499.99? I like the design, but I would also like to know how it works.
Ok, I did a little research, and this is what I came up with:

This DVD player is of poor quality. I read a review in with the silver plate on the top of the player started it come off when the player was first recieved. Appearently it became so hot while playing that the rubber strips on the bottom began to peel off.

It does have something that other portable DVD players don't, and that is MP3 playback, but I don't think that really makes up for much.

On the flip side again, many people have complained that the screen it "too pexeled" and "reading titles and cast names is virtually impossible".

In conclusion, I don't think this player is a very good one. Though it might not be as easy to buy as walking into your local target, if you really want a quality portable DVD player, you might want to try looking into a Panasonic L50 or LV55. Both can be found for $500 or under.

Just my $ .02
Old 08-21-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by viscera
Another thing, can you use one of those cigarette lighter power converters to run a portable DVD player in your car?

thanks in advance
Hey, I nominate Li as our Portable player guru. Thanks for all your help Li!

As far as cig lighter adapters, I highly recommend not using them. You can get pretty bad electricity as far as noise and surges, specially if you live in plugged in and then start your car.

I suggest using an inverter. They are cheap, you barely need any power, but I got a 300VA unit so I could power my laptop and other things. You can plug in two AC powered item that way, and a quality inverter will have battery protection, and surge protection with some power filtering.
Old 08-21-01, 07:29 AM

Randyc or Li I got one of the panasonic L50 have any of you guys found an extra battery cheap like for $100? One place i would use it doesn't have a way to hookup and external power source just using the battery.
Old 08-21-01, 10:02 AM
Li

Ok Brewc, here's where I'd try. First off, these things don't come too cheap, and have a MSRP of $299.95. The best I could find online was "The Professional's Source", which has the DY-DB50EX for $119.95. That's a pretty good deal, IMO.

Second place you could try is Ebay, which has had quite a few batteries (mostly new) up for sale right now. One, in particular, has a Buy it Now option for $75. It's used, so I send the seller a message about how much usage it has gotten. I'll tell you what they say if you're interested in trying to get that battery. Several other new batteries as still pretty low, with no reserve, so you might be able to get a good deal like that.

Hope I've helped.
Old 08-21-01, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Li
Hey Ksnyder, I see in the pictures that there is a see through plactic area on the base of the Toshiba SD-P1000 where you can see the disc spinning. Does that get annoying to look at (a spinning disc)? I've seen another player with the same feature, and it sort of got my nerves a little. Thanks.
I also have the sdp1000, and that clear area has never bothered me. I've never noticed it while playing a movie, but that could just be me.
Also, I haven't watched any anime on it, but I have watched Fight Club with the subtitles on (I was listening to a commentary and I like to have the subs on when I do that), and there was no problem reading them.
I have to put in a recommendation for this player, I love mine. I guess the biggest drawback would be battery life (little more than 2 hours), but I hardly ever used the battery, and I've never tested how long mine truly lasts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.