Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Worth cost to get a VCR with S Video out ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize if this has been discussed, but my search did not pick it up...

Background:
I have a TV that has Component, Composite, and S-Video inputs.

Unfortunately my DVD player does not have component out, so it & my Satellite receiver are connected to a box that allows you to hook up multiple S video (or composite, but I'm using the S Video) devices and then the box connects to the one S video input on the TV.

Also, My TV only supports either the S video or the composite connection, but not devices connected to both (my splitter box is the same way). Therefore my current VCR is connected via RF directly to the TV.

My current VCR is dying a slow death, and unfortunately, most of the children's video stuff I have for the kids is on VHS.

My question: Are the VCR's that have S video output's worth the cost? I only use the VCR for kids stuff. I have noticed that an entry level VCR can be had for anywhere from $39 to $69, but one with S Video out is at least $149.

Anybody have experience with VCR's using S Video output?

Old 08-17-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are your kids concerned with the horizontal resolution of their program material

If they are then get the s-video, if not then just get a basic Hi-Fi VCR.

The only reason to get a S-VHS is if you still enjoy taping programs off of cable and stuff.
Old 08-17-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't confuse the connection type with video formats. VCRs that have S-video (short for separated video) inputs and outputs are Super VHS format.

Super VHS VCRs can play standard VHS tapes and record in that format, too. But if you record a tape in S-VHS, it will only be playable on an S-VHS or quasi-S-VHS machine.

If you'll only be using it to play pre-recorded tapes, then there's not much advantage. VHS is VHS, with its measly 240 lines of resolution.

But if you're going to be taping off cable or satellite, Super VHS has more than 400 lines of resolution, almost double regular VHS. It's a much better picture if you're archiving TV shows or home videos.
Old 08-17-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just get a regular VHS VCR & hook it up using the RF. Thanks, you guys just saved me $100.

Old 08-17-01, 10:54 PM

Have you tried hooking your VCR up with composite video to your TV rather than the standard 75 ohm coax cable? It is a definte improvement, while it may not be as drastic as an s-video connection it will definetly improve picture quality.
Old 08-18-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't do it with my existing setup as the TV only recognizes the S Video or the composite can't use both. It has component connections but that doesn't help with this scenario. My splitter is just a passive splitter and not one of the kinds that will filter composite to S Video ... therefore that is the reason I was pursuing a possible connection using S Video instead of just coax RF.

Old 08-19-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
My father has a JVC TV that does the same thing. Only S video or composite but not both. I picked up a SVHS JVC last year for less than 200 bucks they are a lot cheaper than they used to be.