Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony STRDE845 Protection mode..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last few movies I've watched when the sound gets loud the receiver shuts the sound off. I assume this is to protect my speakers but I don't see how its loud enough to damage them. The knob is turned only a 1/4th of the way up and its never done it before until recently. My speakers are polk rt 35's, 25's, 245 and psw 350. I know its not the best stuff but I work at a certain retailer a lot of people around here seems to hate :P. My question is since the sound isnt that loud could my receiver be faulty? Could it have something to do with all the heat? (it's been around 90 the last few weeks) If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-13-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If i had to make a guess I would say this sounds like a heat related problem causing your receiver to go into thermal protect mode. Make sure there is plenty of vetilation around the receiver (around 4 in. minimum) to start. This means make sure nothing is sitting on top of your receiver.

If it continues to cut off, I would think about putting a cooling fan in of some sort. Check out radio shack for smaller fans. I can give you some ideas depending on your set-up if added ventilation does not work

If nothing works you may have a faulty unit, but if it just started during increased temperatures outside, heat is probably the offender.
Old 08-14-01, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Master J
If i had to make a guess I would say this sounds like a heat related problem causing your receiver to go into thermal protect mode. Make sure there is plenty of vetilation around the receiver (around 4 in. minimum) to start. This means make sure nothing is sitting on top of your receiver.

If it continues to cut off, I would think about putting a cooling fan in of some sort. Check out radio shack for smaller fans. I can give you some ideas depending on your set-up if added ventilation does not work

If nothing works you may have a faulty unit, but if it just started during increased temperatures outside, heat is probably the offender.
There's a good 6 inches between the receiver and shelf but I will check out a small fan and see if it helps. I forgot to mention if i turn the unit off then on again the sound does start back up. I've lost the manuel to the unit and have no way to look up what all it could be when protection flashes. Thanks for the advice and ill see if it helps any.
Old 08-14-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I had the same problem

Make sure NO speaker wires are touching behind the receiver...if you have loose s peaker wire touching another's speakers wires it can cause this...trust me.

Use Banana plugs when possible.
Old 08-14-01, 08:14 PM

My brother had a similar problem with a sony receiver. Make sure
that you dont have any long runs of speaker wire or spliced wire.
Also use something better than the zip cord that comes with most speakers and that the polarity is correct. pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. Most receivers w/adequate ventilation will not overheat under normal to heavy loads (ie watching "saving private ryan" at "realistic" levels) so if it is not a speaker or wire issue its probably something inside the unit, which means service.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-01, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by moviedude
My brother had a similar problem with a sony receiver. Make sure
that you dont have any long runs of speaker wire or spliced wire.
Also use something better than the zip cord that comes with most speakers and that the polarity is correct. pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. Most receivers w/adequate ventilation will not overheat under normal to heavy loads (ie watching "saving private ryan" at "realistic" levels) so if it is not a speaker or wire issue its probably something inside the unit, which means service.
Hope this helps.
Spliced wire? What exactly is that?
Old 08-14-01, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
Actually I had the same problem

Make sure NO speaker wires are touching behind the receiver...if you have loose s peaker wire touching another's speakers wires it can cause this...trust me.

Use Banana plugs when possible.
I had the exact same problem with my Denon 3300. My cat had chewed through one of the wires and they were touching. I went to the channel level setup screen and found that the receiver would shut down whenever sound went to the left surround speaker. I then traced the wire and found where it was chewed through.
Old 08-14-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wierd. I have the same model and the bad boy does run hot as hell. I have never had it go into protect mode though.
Old 08-15-01, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by MxChino

Spliced wire? What exactly is that?

When you dont have 1 continuous wire from receiver to speaker.
My brother was running wire down to his basement and didnt
have a wire long enough so he took 2 and spliced them together.
As soon as we used a good quality wire in one piece it solved his problem. Good quality means something around 16 guage. We
used Monster cable but if your on a budget you can buy lamp cord
at a hardware store by the foot.
Old 08-15-01, 02:08 AM

Ha, I had just spliced two wires together using monster cable 16 gage wire because I didn't want to have to rewire my whole rear speakers. Looks like im going to have to now. I should of thought of this in the first place since it started happening right after I did this.

Originally posted by moviedude

When you dont have 1 continuous wire from receiver to speaker.
My brother was running wire down to his basement and didnt
have a wire long enough so he took 2 and spliced them together.
As soon as we used a good quality wire in one piece it solved his problem. Good quality means something around 16 guage. We
used Monster cable but if your on a budget you can buy lamp cord
at a hardware store by the foot.
Old 08-15-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll bet it's your wires. Remove all of them, check them, and then reconnect making sure that none of the wires are touching each other.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about this and 9 times out of 10 it's the wiring.

I have the same unit and it does run extremely hot but I haven't had any problems. Just to be n the safe side I purchased a DC fan at Rat Shack and have that sitting on top of the receiver to keep good airflow.
Old 08-16-01, 10:59 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I went back through and rewired everything and replaced my old spliced together wires. Problem solved. Thanks a lot.