Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opionions On Authorized Vs. Non-Authorized Dealers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-03-01, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Store Forum, so feel free to move it!

I'm looking for your comments / experiences dealing with authorized vs. non-authorized dealers. Specially, I'm looking at getting a Yamaha HTR 5460 receiver. Authorized dealers like OneCall.com are listing it for around $500. Non-authorized dealers like Etronics.net have it listed as low as $350. I'm thinking I will be hard pressed to pay an extra $150 to get it from an authorized dealer. I know I could run into service issues during the warranty period, but $150 would go a long way toward repairs or replacement!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-03-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmmm . . . It's your money and your decision. I, personally, would never buy from a non-authorized source. Beyond the service issues you note (which can be considerable), buying gray market merchandise hurts legitimate dealers.
Old 08-03-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would be very curious how a non-authorized dealer could obtain merchandise to sell and then sell it for 30% less than an authorized dealer?

Based on my experience Onecall has good prices so this seems like a real wide spread.

Are you sure it is not a repack? Are you sure it is not a non-US piece? Since serial numbers are tracked by some manufactures as to the dealer that sold it, you might be denied service by an authorized service center.

Good luck.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 08-03-01 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-03-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure Etronics is not an authorised dealer? The Yamaha HTR series is the mass market line comparable to the RXV line. (They are the exact same receiver, just different cosmetics). The RXV line requires that you buy from an authorised dealer, but Im not sure if the HTR line even requires it.

If the warranty requires an authorized dealer - See if Onecall will come down on the price. Tell them you've found it for $150 less.

It's a personal choice, you do take a risk, but you get a nice discount. I have bought expensive speakers from an unauthorized dealer and they have worked fine and I saved 50%. Good luck.
Old 08-03-01, 10:36 PM

Also be careful about protecting your warranty. Many manufacturers will not honor the warranty on a unit purchased from a non-authorized dealer. Be sure to check with the manufacturer, it will usually be listed on their website.
Old 08-04-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many companies will not allow dealers to sell below a certain price. Or they won't allow internet sales at all. They forced this so called "gray market" upon themselves. For a purchase of a few hundred dollars I have no problems buying from the cheapest source. I use forums like the Store Forum here and the AVS forum to find other peoples opinions of the internet dealer before I purchase.

BTW, I recommend the Onkyo 595, Denon 2801, and the Outlaw over the Yamaha at your price range.
Old 08-04-01, 12:45 PM

if you really want the yammie and don't wanna deal with the uncertainty of buying from an online retailer-- pricematch it at sears. I don't remember where, but I saw a price online for the 5460 at $335. Try pricematching without shipping and handling.. if they ask for shipping and handling, have a second sheet with that added on. The only thing about sears is TAX... but it's lots easier to make a return at a B&M than at an e-tailer of unknown reputation though.

ps. I was gonna do this, but then found they had a 5280 left - I talk the guy at sears to let me have it for $480.

good luck!