DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD -> Prologic receiver? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/130676-dvd-prologic-receiver.html)

SteveL 08-02-01 07:46 AM

DVD -> Prologic receiver?

We're about to buy a DVD player, possibly last person on the planet to do so....

We currently have an Onkyo Prologic receiver which serves us quite well, so we have no desire to replace it right now.

I understand that DVD audio is encoded with something called Dolby Digital; what will our Prologic receiver do with this audio in terms of providing us with surround sound? We currently use left, center, right, & 2 rear speakers. I've heard of DVD players with "5.1" outputs, but I don't believe our receiver has discrete inputs for its channels. If we use the left/right audio connections from the DVD player, will we only hear sound from our L/R front speakers?

Thanks for any explanations, suggestions, features to look for, etc.

Steve.

Brian Shannon 08-02-01 08:22 AM

You will not be able to decode the dolby digital signal with your receiver. You can do several things. Get a player with a dolby digital decoder built in or set the player to pro-logic/pcm.

mdX 08-02-01 08:25 AM

Steve,

when you connect your dvd player to your receiver via the analog outputs, the player outputs a prologic encoded signal. your receiver will properly deocde this, and you will get sound out of all 5 speakers - though as with any prologic signal, your rear/surround speakers will be mono (left/right surround are the same)

if your receiver does not have 5.1 inputs and your player 5.1 outputs (and a built-in DD decoder) then you can't get dolby digital sound. for that, you would need to get a new receiver (which would be well worth it - the jump from prologic to DD is huge!)

-Matt

SteveL 08-02-01 09:54 AM

Thanks! I didn't know that the player would also output Prologic-encoded audio. So it sounds like we'll get surround sound at least similar to what we now get from VHS tapes with Prologic.

I've heard about the sound improvements with Dolby Digital, so I'd guess that a new receiver will be our next upgrade.

Thanks again,
Steve.

skar 08-02-01 06:09 PM

Actually it will sound quite a bit better than VHS. Personally, I prefer the sound of a nice Pro Logic system to a cheap DD/DTS Home Theater in a Box setup.

Bottom line, don't worry about it now. Enjoy your DVD's and enjoy them even more whenever you decide to upgrade in the future.

nekobus 08-03-01 04:18 AM

Originally posted by skar
Actually it will sound quite a bit better than VHS. Personally, I prefer the sound of a nice Pro Logic system to a cheap DD/DTS Home Theater in a Box setup.

Bottom line, don't worry about it now. Enjoy your DVD's and enjoy them even more whenever you decide to upgrade in the future.

We second this. When we bought our first DVD player we used it with our Pro Logic receiver. We had a really nice one and wanted to keep using it. DVD was still a very nice step up. We eventually upgraded our receiver at a later date.

Lokknez 08-03-01 03:30 PM

Don't buy an Dolby Digital or DTS receiver until you can spend good money on it. But after you upgrade you'll notice the difference between Pro Logic and Dolby Digital/DTS.....

Mr. Salty 08-03-01 05:45 PM

Something else to point out:

If a DVD only has a Dolby Digital 5.1 track on it, the player will "downmix" the audio for Pro-Logic analog output. The player's downmixing can be less than perfect, so several studios include a separate two-channel audio track specifically mixed for this purpose.

Most Disney, DreamWorks, Fox and Paramount releases have these Dolby 2.0 tracks, so be sure to check each disc's audio menu before you start the movie. You'll get better sound if you do.

Oh, and I can highly recommend Onkyo's new model 595 receiver, which has Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic II. You can find it for about $370 online!

nekobus 08-04-01 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Oh, and I can highly recommend Onkyo's new model 595 receiver, which has Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic II. You can find it for about $370 online!
Where did you find the 595 at this price?

Mr. Salty 08-04-01 01:38 AM

www.crazyeddie.com has it for $371. You might be able to get it for even a little cheaper at www.jandr.com .

nekobus 08-04-01 11:09 PM

Thanks. I searched on mysimon.com and Crazyeddie popped up. How are they?

skar 08-05-01 01:00 AM

Many people seem to prefer www.jandr.com over Crazy Eddie. I've used neither, but J and R has been around for 30 years. I almost sure J and R is a authorized Onkyo dealer which is why their website doesn't list a price. (They can't advertise prices below a certain level). I think their base price for the 595 is $399, but some people have ordered it for around $370.

Also Express Cameras and Shop Sunshine have the 595 for $369.