Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with Coax Digital Output

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-31-01, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, i'm trying to output a digital signal from my DVD player to my reciever (Digital Coax). When I was using a DVD decoder card in my PC, i was able to get away with using a high quality 75ohm video cable to do 5.1 Dolby Digital, and it sounded perfectly fine. Now that i'm using a standalone player, it isn't recognizing the audio cable as digital.... Anyone know if this is possible to do?
If this is not possible to do, would anyone recommend an inexpensive, yet decent quality coax cable?

Clearly this isn't a super high quality setup, just your average setup with nice set of surrounds. I'm a poor college student who doesn't justify paying $40 for a cable when i can get away with using an exsisting one.

Please post thoughts or comments. Thanks
Old 07-31-01, 11:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I wouldn't suspect your cable. Any 75 ohm cable should be just fine.

Are you sure you have the DD output selected in the setup of your player?
Old 08-01-01, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, i'm selecting digital coax in the output field but it's not picking it up. What type of coax cable should i get that is decent quality. I really wanna stay away from the monster stuff...as it's ridiculously over priced....

Smokes
Old 08-01-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Depending on brands, it may be necessary to check both:
1) Did you tell your DVD player to output digitally.
2) Did you tell your receiver to accept digital input, and in some cases, assign physical input (connector) to the right logical source, ie the DVD input selected by your remote.
This is the most logical explanation if you are getting nothing at all, that you haven't completed all the steps to enable the pathway.

There is always the possible the cable is completely defective, ie one lead is broken. Try another.

The good thing is that digital is either there or not there. Not much in between, so "quality" of the cable isn't much of a concern. I just used a decent store brand video cable with RCA connectors on both ends (like you would also use for composite video) and it worked fine.