DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good 7" Portable Play + Place to get it

Old 07-25-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good 7" Portable Player + Place to get it

Looks like I may end up working weekends again, so, to pass the time, I'm looking to purchase a 7" widescreen portable DVD player that can also be hooked up to a big-screen television. I have no neeed for a laptop computer, since where I will be using it , I have a computer nearby (and no, TPTB won't let me put in a DVD-ROM).

I've seen the Pioneer unit... nice unit. Good or bad unit?

Also, any recommendations for a good place to order it outside the state of California? And what about the price of replacement batteries?

Last edited by Mark Holtz; 07-25-01 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-25-01, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good 7" Portable Player + Place to get it

Originally posted by MarkHoltz

I've seen the Pioneer unit... nice unit. Good or bad unit?

I have the Pioneer portable which I use at work. Highly recommend this model. Great picture!! Fits nicely next to my computer and doesn't take up a lot of space. I purchased mine early last year and paid over $1000. I've seen this model on line lately for around $650 if I'm not mistaken. The extra batteries are nice for long flights/car rides. The extra battery ran me about $90 (this price may also be lower now?).
Old 07-26-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats the model # of this player?
Old 07-26-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own the Panasonic LV-75 and I have been very pleased with the unit with the following exception, it displays non-anamorphic widescreen movies with black bars on the top, bottom and sides. Someone else also reported this unit has problems playing the new RCE (encoded) discs. I personally haven't had a problem with any discs. I purchased it 5 months ago online for $650 shipped and you probably can get it cheaper now. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-01, 09:54 PM
Li

Whatever you do, don't get the PDV-LC10. It's made the last three weeks a living hell. I bought it, and had problems right off. Pixels going dead. The place I bought if from (online) won't take back an item a few days it is shipped. I decided that I needed to get rid of the thing quickly, and went to get it fixed. Well, the stupid repair shop wouldn't do a d*mn thing (tells me that dead pixels are normal, and that there's nothing they can or will do), and in the process, they dented and scratched the thing to high hell. They won't do anything about the damage, claiming that it they didn't do it any of it... Now I have to sell it in that conditionÖ I just can't get a break...

I'm not saying that if you bought this machine it would do the same thing to you, I'm just giving you something to think about.

I donít know if Iíll be brave enough to buy another one of these products (different model, of course) after this whole ordeal is over, especially onlineÖ

Perhaps the LV75 would have been the smarter choice... I dunno.

Last edited by Li; 07-26-01 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-26-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pioneer PDV-LC10

Originally posted by bmello
I own the Panasonic LV-75 and I have been very pleased with the unit with the following exception, it displays non-anamorphic widescreen movies with black bars on the top, bottom and sides.
This is normal. My Pioneer does the same thing. You have a widescreen display in ratio so only Anamorphic titles will fill the screen, just like if you were viewing a 16x9 HDTV.

Originally posted by Li
Whatever you do, don't get the PDV-LC10.
I have to disagree. Sounds like you had some bad luck unfortunately. I've owned this same model for over 1 1/2 years and have had no problems with the pixels or anything. I use my player daily (4-6 hours) and the picture is simply amazing. Blows people away when they see it.
Old 07-26-01, 11:08 PM
Li

Like I said,

"I'm not saying that if you bought this machine it would do the same thing to you, I'm just giving you something to think about."

It's possible, is all. Doesn't make much sense, though. How one could have preformed so badly and one (from what you've said) so well.
Old 07-27-01, 12:28 PM

Goto www.streeteffectz.com and goto the price quote page. Ask about any of the portable players you are interested in.
Old 07-28-01, 03:49 PM

The Sharp's 8 inch is going for $599 at buy.com. Don't know for how long though. A great deal, Msrp: $1800! You could probably find one of those ridiculous 25 off 500 or something like that coupons to go with it. Shipping seems to be free too, as of today.

Any recommendations on the player itself? ANYONE?

I was kind of waiting for the new Toshiba 8 inch. Considering it will probably go for something like $1500 the Sharp might be a great pick. Someone Help me! I currently own Panasonic's L50D. (not sure if I got the code right but you know which model I mean?)

Please Help!
Old 07-28-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like someone beat me to the punch.....

The Model # on the Buy.com unit is DV-L80UHK $599, while at costco.com, the unit is DV-L80U for $549. But, with both, I pay sales tax.
Old 07-28-01, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by mikko81

I was kind of waiting for the new Toshiba 8 inch. Considering it will probably go for something like $1500 the Sharp might be a great pick. Someone Help me! I currently own Panasonic's L50D. (not sure if I got the code right but you know which model I mean?)

Please Help!
I saw the 8 inch Toshiba at Best Buy for $999. I must say, it displays an absolutely stunning picture !! It' s now definitely the one on my "things to buy" list --- when the price comes down a bit. I've seen the 7 inch Panasonic, the 8 inch Pioneer and the Sharp model. They're all quite nice but not as nice as the Toshiba.....
Old 07-28-01, 11:25 PM
Li

I've read more reviews for portable DVD players than I can remember.

About the Sharp L80U: Turns out many functions that you could normally find on the unit itself on other players can only be accessed by the remote. I suppose this isn't a huge deal, considering how small the remote is. I've read that there are some color issues (skin tones or something), but I don't know. Here's a quote from a review:

"If the extra inch of screen size really appeals, then it's worth tolerating the DV-L80's shortcomings, but if it's the very best quality you're after, then the Panasonic DV-L75 still wins hands down."

I've heard that the Toshiba SDP1500 (also 8" screen) is a better quality player, but is also more expensive.

You have to think about it, though. Most reviews take the MSRP into account. The reviews for the L80U are most likely be effected by a $1800 price tag, deciding if itís worth that much. Iím sure their opinions might be a little different if it was only $550

I'm not sure. I wish I could find a place that had some of these models on display. I'd really like to take a look that them for myself.

Mowork: Did you really notice a big difference between the size of the 8Ē and the 7Ē? Is it a big deal?

As soon as I can get the junky PDV-LC10 out of my hair, Iíll get one thatís really worth its price.
Old 07-29-01, 12:27 AM
Li

Nuff Said.

Last edited by Li; 08-13-01 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-04-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm.... so you had to pick between the Sharp L80U and the Pioneer PDV-LC10, which would you choose?
Old 08-04-01, 11:07 PM
Li

I'd say the Sharp all the way. The LC10, in all respects, sucks incredably. I've recently read some good reviews for the Sharp and hope to buy one after I get my other sold. It's up right now, but no bids yet.
Old 08-13-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone got a close-up on the L80U panel controls?

(Good thing I have the advantage of time here.)
Old 08-13-01, 01:10 AM
Li

Sure thing MarkHoltz. Hope this is close enough for ya.

Unit itself:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/images...p-dv-l80-X.jpg

Remote Control:
http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench...L80_remote.jpg

Ah, it's true. There isn't a "Menu" button the player itself. That might be a pain, but the player still looks nice. Plus, the remotes so small it wouldn't be that big of a deal to just keep it close to the player at all times, would it?

I still like this set up, myself:
http://www.totaldvd.net/reviews/DVDP...icDVD-LV55.jpg

Though the panel's nice on the LC10...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...erPDV-LC10.jpg

...it still doesn't make up for it being such a poorly constructed (screen and durability wise) machine.

Pioneer *DIE DIE DIE*

Hope that helps.
Old 08-13-01, 08:11 AM

Just to show you that everyone has an opinion, the Sharp sux and the LC-10 is the best. The reviews back me up. The post above is an isolated incident that you shouldn't factor in your decison.

Your best plan is to wait for the newer models coming out, the LC-10 will drop even lower when that happens.
Old 08-13-01, 08:53 AM
Li

Believe me, the reviews don't back up that statement. I can't think of one "professional" review that was all that happy with it. Compared to its competitors.

Examples:

Home-entertainment.co.uk/

PDV-LC10

Screen *** (3)
Speakers *** (3)
Features **** (4)
Value *** (3)

"The PDV-LC10 is no longer a state-of-the-art model compared with its competitors"

LV75

Screen **** (4)
Speakers *** (3)
Features ***** (5)
Value *** * (4)

"The DVD-LV75 is up against some stiff competition but it's performance and battery life is excellent"

--------------------------------

Homecinemachoice.com

PDV-LC10

Picture *** 1/2 (3.5)
Sound *** (3)
Features **** (4)
Overall *** (3)

"This is a nice portable debut from Pioneer, albeit one with flaws - it's a great little toy that struggles when it gets out of the portable pond and starts playing with the big boys."

LV75

Picture **** (4)
Sound **** (4)
Features *** (3)
Overall **** (4)

Iím not saying Pioneer doesnít make a good product, just not good portable DVD players. These things are expensive, and you donít want to buy one thatís going to break down on you within a week. That just shouldnít happen, EVER. Not even for ďbad luckísĒ sake. Iím just trying to prevent someone from making a mistake like I did. If someone had bothered telling me what I'm telling him before I made the purchase, I'd most likely have a LV75 in my possession right now, and Iím sure Iíd be very happy with it.

I'm not TELLING MarkHoltz what to buy, I'm just trying to give him some advice, coming from someone with experience with what's he's interested in. If he still feels that the PDV-LC10 is good enough for him, then that's great.

Last edited by Li; 08-13-01 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-14-01, 10:35 PM
Li

I stopped by my local Best Buy tonight to try and get a look at the new Toshiba SD-P1500. Well, I got to play with it for a few minutes, and to tell you the truth, I wasn't really all that impressed by the picture quality. The player itself was of good quality, though. I liked the set up and the ease of use. Unfortunately, I doubt that the Sharp DV-L80U could possibly a better player, especially with its rather lame layout. Iím sure that it would get pretty old having to reach for the remote every time you wanted to go to the disc menu. Has anyone else gotten a look at the new Toshiba? What did you think?

They had a Panasonic LV55 and an Aiwa XD-DW5 on display as well. Though you could definitely tell a difference in size, I was much more intrigued by the picture of the Panasonic instead than the Toshiba. The Panasonic was very crisped and detailed, while the Toshiba seemed slightly on the washed-out/grainy side, sort of like the Pioneer.

It would have been great if they could have had a 7" up there as well, just to compare sizes. I could see a box in the glass casing, under the displays, for a PDV-LC10 (which said "Display" on the side), but nothing was out to look at.

Anyway, though I really didn't care for the picture quality on the Aiwa, the screen size (5.8") was pretty good. The Toshiba SD-P1000 is supposed to have a great screen, though I wish I could have a look at it for myself. Has anyone gotten to observe one of these with their own eyes?

Last edited by Li; 08-15-01 at 09:23 PM.