Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Finally my home theatre pics are up..feedback please :)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-23-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I finally used my DV cam to take some pics of my HT (please forgive the resolution, its only a 640x480 still cam but the dv quality is great)

Anyway, also consider that Im still a college student and am doing the best I can for now.

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/coons...c=ph%26.view=t

The component pic is a little dark so just so you know the two are:

sony dvp-s330 and

yamaha HTR 5240

Let me know how im doing and any advice on sub placement or anythign else would be good, thanks
Old 07-23-01, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a nice setup. You may get better imaging from your speakers if you place them on stands so that the tweeters are inline with your sitting position. Keep the sub in the corner for better bass response. And, keep that DVD collection growing.
Old 07-23-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is your TV stand that $39 Best Buy special? Cause I think I got the same one. Stand is decent, value is great. I haven't seen another TV stand for under $60. Can hold a 36" TV too.
Old 07-23-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Skar...yes it is the one from Best Buy, holds my 35" just great..
Old 07-23-01, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bumping, in need of more feedback
Old 07-24-01, 12:29 AM

Rears..

Cannot tell from the pic entirely - but do those rears overshoot the seated positions? Maybe they can angle a little more from horizontal?...the flush can look good but I found angle brackets to work great for getting the direct sound I was looking for..
Old 07-24-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

skuehl34,

yes they are flush against the wall and over shoot the seating position and are a little behind, just like dolby reccommends...

so are you saying angle the speakers towards the couch (in other words, down?)

Duck
Old 07-24-01, 02:15 AM

I know, I know...sometimes opinions get ripped in this forum (not saying you, but I was thinking someone might attack that positioning statement of mine) but I can only say what ended up sounding the best.

I have seen the Dolby specs and set up my surround accordingly (best I could)....then I sat a variety of people in my HT and physically held the rear channels at different locations and angles playing the same scenes over and over (Matrix, THX Robot) and the unanimous discerning ears wanted them at slight elevation above seat and behind (as you said) plus the added nitch of a slight off elevation angle facing the seated position. I Mounted the side channels the same way - slightly off horizontal as they were a little high (due to room)...and all has worked really well.

The overshot sounds when they were flush were very apparent - they sounded great to people sitting on the opposite side of the room from the speakers - but the main two sitting positions lost out. Hope this helps...

Steve
Old 07-24-01, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

skuehl34, hmm sounds interesting. We are possibly bringing in a new couch tomorrow and then I will take another pic and put it up with a better angle of the rears and their position relevant to the couch. Then I might have another question for you.

btw..after seing my front L/R as I received advice from another member, should I elevate them to ear level? They are rather large KLH (large in teh sense that they are definetely not bookshelf and I really havent seen bigger speakers on stands) or are they find where they are...

Thanx

Duck
Old 07-24-01, 02:56 AM

I would say yes - my towers are tall enough they happen to match the seating positions just right - and the center is matched in line with the towers and seating positions. I noticed the center is in alternative position - but it might sound good to you so I'll hush up. Email me directly if you can, as other forums I have attended for years tend to get ugly right about now with these topics - but I still like to help if I can.

Steve - [email protected]
Old 07-24-01, 03:54 AM

It looks good. What is the seating distance from your screen?
Also, it looks like there are a lot of reflections on the TV. You need to control the light in the room to get a better video image. Invest in some room darkening shades and use indirect lighting behind the set. Also use the AVIA disc to calibrate your system. You'll notice a big difference.
Old 07-24-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same Sony Trinitron.
Old 07-24-01, 10:09 AM

i was wondering if that tv stand is still on sale. holds up to 36 inch tv for under 60 bucks thats a great deal to me.

Sorry I don't really have any comments on your setup, I'm still looking to get approval from the wife to buy all that stuff. :-)

Thanks
Old 07-24-01, 12:59 PM

Looks good. And if it sounds good to you, then that's all that really matters. But...

... my main advice would be to save and upgrade the speakers. You'll notice a world of difference going from KLH to almost anything. There are some JBL's (NSP-1?) that are getting rave reviews and are pretty inexpensive. Energy Take-5's with their 8" sub would probably also work well b/c it looks like your room isn't huge. Just my $.02.
Old 07-24-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvdsleuth, yes there are reflections, but when I actually watch movies I close the blinds and get the room 100% free of ambient light before watching. I have video essentials and have calibrated the set and yes, it does make a world of difference.

Thanks for the replys, I will look into some new speakers, unfortunatelly the KLHs I have now the bottoms were damaged in a flood last year so the case on the bottom is a little warped, doesnt hurt the sound at all, just saying that I really could use some new ones. Ill look into those JBLs. In the mean time ill think about raising them a little.
Old 07-24-01, 02:45 PM

Forgot one thing!

Just wanted to add that your set-up is incredible for a college student. I know it can be especially tough at that age to have enough $$$ to go around for DVDs, going out, etc., and to put together a system like yours is impressive.
Old 07-24-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

stats, thanks for that comment. Personally I think too that Im doing okay considering Im paying for school and working plus rent and everything else..thanks

Duck