Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Denon 3801 - recommended?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 04:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone have the latest Denon receiver (3801) that features playback of DTS-ES discreet 6.1 discs? While less expensive then the 5800, is it compariable? On these receivers or any that have 6.1 playback it is possible to hook up four speakers in the rear. Correct? I remember reading that it is recommended that two speakers comprise the rear center channel of sound than just one.
Old 07-23-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a warning. Denon 3802 is coming soon to replace the 3801. Ohh yeah. Great receivers.
Old 07-23-01, 09:09 PM
steak

Re: Denon 3801 - recommended?

Originally posted by Giles
Does anyone have the latest Denon receiver (3801) that features playback of DTS-ES discreet 6.1 discs? While less expensive then the 5800, is it compariable? On these receivers or any that have 6.1 playback it is possible to hook up four speakers in the rear. Correct? I remember reading that it is recommended that two speakers comprise the rear center channel of sound than just one.
Got it and LOVE it!!!! The remote is a pain, but the receiver sound and quality is awesome! I don't know about 4 speakers in the rear. Do you mean in the very back? my setup has 2 fronts, center 2 sides (formally rears) and 2 rears.

Does this help?
Old 07-23-01, 10:25 PM

Have had a great experience..

My 3801 has fulfilled my listening requirements quite well. The remote just took some trial and error and actually I learned a few things not in the directions - plus I have programmed it to work the TV pretty easily so at least I have eliminated one remote. Make sure you do follow the clearance guidelines in the manual as the heat factor is real.

I have the same set-up as the prior post listed - 2, 2 and 2. All of the channels work outstanding once I hooked up the optical cables. If you have any questions as to how the 6.1 works (DTS Neo:6) the 3801 manual slightly describes it at the Denon site. Email me if you have questions on the setup once you get it..have experimented many hours on the 6 and pro-logic settings to acheieve the 5.1, 7.1 etc.

Steve
[email protected]
Old 07-23-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

6.1 Set-up

Are the four rear speakers all the same size/speaker? I'm looking on getting the Denon 3801 (once the 3802's come out) but I haven't purchased the two extra speakers yet.
Old 07-24-01, 12:26 AM

Varies..

Judging from the available settings in the 3801....I would see it as your personal preference. The 3801 did ok on the power output test with that many speakers, the on-screen programming allows you to adjust size of the speakers (amount of info to your speaker - lay terms I know...) between small and large for both sets of rears...I used Klipsch Quintets and SS1's..I set the 3801 speaker size appropriately and adjusted each individual volume for the seating..

So I guess my answer to you is they are different sized speakers, but the 3801 handles the variance no problem.

Steve
Old 07-24-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 2801 and love it. However, it does make music sound a little "warmer" than other brands so you may want to audition it somewhere before you buy. It complements my speakers well, so I like it.
Old 07-29-01, 02:09 PM
Banned

I have the 3801 model, and i absolutely LOVE it. and yes, the 3801 accomodate one pair of your regular surround channel, and 1 pair for the surround back channel, which is used for: Dolby Digital 6.1 EX, or DTS-ES. you can also use only one surround back channel speaker if you choose to, BUT the manufacture highly recommend you to use two surround back channel speakers instead of one, to receive the complete sound impact of the 7.1 for DTS-ES, which each two surround, and two surround back channels are digitally discrete.
The soundtrack to: The Haunting DTS-ES is awesome, like no other soundtrack you've have heard before. you thought DTS 5.1, and DD5.1 is good..... wait until you hear 6.1 for DD 6.1 EX,and 7.1 for DTS-ES you are really going to be amazed.