Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cheap/decent speaker wire?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 11:02 AM
SEH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember a thread some time ago about inexpensive but decent speaker wire. I searched, but couldn't find anything. I have looked at Home Depot's wire but wanted a couple of choices so I could make a comparison. I would prefer in-wall because they are going to be used for dipole rear speakers and I want a clean installation. If anyone has suggestions/alternatives, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-18-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of speakers do you have? If they are inexpensive ones, just go to WalMart or Radio Shack and get some 16 gague. I did this for some cheap speakers I set up and it worked fine.

Now, if they are not cheap speakers, I would spend a little more and get some decent monster cable. I know monster is not the best stuff, but I dont believe in spending a lot on cables. You can buy some 12 gauge for about $1 a foot at your local Circuit City or A/V shop.
Old 07-18-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to the wire/cable section at www.partsexpress.com and get a 100 foot spool of 12 gauge Sound King wire for $35.00. Thet also sell in-wall wire too.

I wouldn't go any lower than 12 gauge for surrounds since the runs are alot longer than for the mains.
Old 07-18-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if this concerns you, but some localities have codes for in wall wiring (mine does). If you will be pulling a fairly long run, I would definately go w/ wire designed for this purpose as the skin on many wires can tear if it catches a nail or other sharp object.

I don't have a specific wire recommendation; I just went to a local installer and picked up about 100 feet of the wire he uses; it ran me about $0.75 a foot. One nice thing about this wire is that it contained two pairs of runs in a single; this gave me the choice of doubling up on each speaker or just running one length to goth rears or running two.
Old 07-19-01, 11:13 AM
SEH

Thanks for all the input. My speakers are the energy dipole surrounds (about $350 if I remember correctly), so I really want something mid-range. Looks like the cables at partsexpress for in wall are the right thing for me, since I want this to meet the minimum for code.