Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Questions about [email protected] digital cable hookup

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-17-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting [email protected] digital cable installed shortly and am wondering what kind of hookups come on the back of the box. Will I be able to connect the cable box (audio) directly to my reciever? Or will it have to run through my VCR which is how I have it now.

Also, my receiver needs to be set to either digital or analog for each source connected to it..... Since digital cable is not all digital, would I have to change the ana/dig setting on the receiver depending on what channel I was watching?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-17-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got AT&T digital cable installed and I got a Motorola box. My box has no digital out for audio just the analog left and right for audio and video. Also this box must be 8 bit because it can take 5 seconds for a channel to load sometimes. Overall I am a bit dissapointed with it. It's only saving grace for me are the audio music channels.
Old 07-17-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My box has no digital out for audio just the analog left and right for audio and video.
So the only thing digital is the video, not the audio?

Also, you are atleast able to connect the audio directly to your receiver?

I don't have high hopes for digital cable. In fact I would just rather stick with the regular cable that I have now, but [email protected] decided to remove channels from regular cable when digital came around, to make people have to go to the more expensive digital to get back the channels.... However I found a $5.00 off per month coupon plus got another $5.00 off per month to stop bothering them..... plus free installation.
Old 07-17-01, 11:12 AM

i also have att digital cable with the motorola cable box,
i noticed on the cable box that there was a s-video output label but no connections....

are there cable boxes with s-video output?
Old 07-19-01, 02:19 AM

I have a General Intrument box, but the features sound the same. Same basic RCA/RF jacks, same five seconds betweens channels, and on top of that I think AT&T of Alameda, formerly TCI, is still using mpeg-1 decoding for their digital channels. If anyone wants to test this theory with their box try finding a movie that uses dark shading of some sort (i.e. fog, dark hallways, any scene at night.) Pixel city here we come.
I would not recommend digital cable to anyone looking for a technology upgrade. It's not. The only reason to get digital cable is the extra channels, and this can vary depending on area of service and your budget. Take a hard look at the channels offered. Are they worth that extra money? Me, I really like BBCAmerica, Ovation, and the extra premiums. That's the only reason I shell out the money to those yahoo's at AT&T.
Old 07-19-01, 06:51 AM

Same piece of junk box used by Comcast also. I tried it for a month and went back to the analog signal. Digital should be an upgrade, not downgrade. The slowness of the box sucked.

saintsfan
Old 07-30-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got digital cable....

The only connections on the back for audio are rca outputs. Customer service stated that the digital audio signal could be passed through those outputs. I was under the impression that a digital signal could not be passed through rca cables, and that if I hooked up the box to my receiver, the sound would be analog. Who is right????
Old 07-30-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Just got digital cable....

Originally posted by cpgator
The only connections on the back for audio are rca outputs. Customer service stated that the digital audio signal could be passed through those outputs. I was under the impression that a digital signal could not be passed through rca cables, and that if I hooked up the box to my receiver, the sound would be analog. Who is right????
RCA's are analog. You are right. The audio was digital until the DAC inside the cable box converted it to analog.
Old 07-30-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You won't be able to get Dolby Digital through the analog L & R outputs. I had digital cable for about a month before I got my dish and was very disappointed with it. The digital cable box had the DD logo on the front, yet no digital out on the back. I called the local cable company and asked them about the dolby digital situation and none of them even knew what dolby digital was. I didn't think the picture was too bad--not quite as good as Dish--but the lack of digital sound was definitely a turnoff...as well as the slowness of changing channels.

I think some digital cable systems do offer a box with an optical out on the back, though.
Old 07-30-01, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Xytraguptorh
I think some digital cable systems do offer a box with an optical out on the back, though.
Make no mistake, the technology's out there for these digital cable companies. You can go to Motorola's website and just look at their new and amazing HDTV digital cable boxes. Not that it would do you any good considering that most (99.9%) of our cable companies have no intention of upgrading. Like the last two posts, my cable company doesn't even know what DD is, much less HD. To them high def is what you get on their InDemand PPV channels [interpret - 6 shades of gray]. Oooh. It just makes me soooo mad. Sorry about the rant everybody.
Old 07-30-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had digital cable in my last apartment and the box was similar to everyone's above. Only 2 RCA outputs. I didnt have my receiver at the time so I could not hook it up.

The box was painfully slow at switching channels, but I did notice a pretty clear picture. Much better than regular cable. But I did get pixellation on some channels.

True you will only get analog sound, but I believe the networks do not broadcast in digital sound. Only certain stations like HBO broadcast some movies in DD.

Im curious, do the dish receivers have digital audio outputs? What kind of video outputs? Thanks.
Old 07-30-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nizzo
I had digital cable in my last apartment and the box was similar to everyone's above. Only 2 RCA outputs. I didnt have my receiver at the time so I could not hook it up.

The box was painfully slow at switching channels, but I did notice a pretty clear picture. Much better than regular cable. But I did get pixellation on some channels.

True you will only get analog sound, but I believe the networks do not broadcast in digital sound. Only certain stations like HBO broadcast some movies in DD.

Im curious, do the dish receivers have digital audio outputs? What kind of video outputs? Thanks.
My Dish Network satellite receiver has a digital optical outlet on it. The only channels broadcasting movies in actual 5.1 on Dish are two of the Showtimes and one of the Starz. I think DirecTV has one of the HBOs in 5.1 sometimes. DD 5.1 isn't the only advantage of having an optical cable option, though, because the Pro Logic through PCM digital also sounds better than using the analog cables.

As for video outputs, mine has standard coax, composite video, and S-Video. I let my receiver do my video switching & I have it hooked up through both composite & S-video. For some reason, I actually prefer the picture from composite (same with laserdisc, btw). The colors just look slightly better, though there's not a lot of difference.
Old 07-30-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got digital cable and an Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 cable box. It has coax out, composite(? RCA audio & video) out, S-Video out and coaxial digital audio out connections.

The PPV and some other pay channels (Starz! comes to mind) are broadcast in DD5.1. Other digital channels are broadcast in DD2.0. All the analog channels are just that, but the audio is sent out the coaxial digital output.