Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony Sweet

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony Sweet

STR-DB1070 my next upgrade purchase.

saintsfan
Old 07-14-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet 6.1 too
Old 07-15-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thinking about the same receiver as well to upgrade my db830, but the lack of DTS-ES discrete is causing me to hesitate on an upgrade. Though there is not much ES-Discrete software (Gladiator and Haunting I think is it), I would hate to not have the option if it ever became more prevalent. Once other manufaturers begin putting out more 6.1 units, I think we will have a better idea of where the market is going.

J
Old 07-15-01, 01:50 PM

The STR-DB1070 is 6.1 Discrete. Doesn't this handle the DTS ES singal?

saintsfan
Old 07-16-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No component switching?

Blech, will sit tight with my 930
Old 07-16-01, 12:14 PM
mdX

Originally posted by MOLE
No component switching?

Blech, will sit tight with my 930
are you referring to component video switching? if so, it would appear the 1070 does do it, as it has 2 component inputs and one output....
Old 07-16-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by saintsfan
The STR-DB1070 is 6.1 Discrete. Doesn't this handle the DTS ES singal?

saintsfan
From everything I have read about this unit, including the information on Crutchfield it only does 6.1 in matrix mode, not DTS discrete. It does do DD EX (in matrix) though it does not specifically state that because they did not pay THX to certify the unit. DTS will be matrix as well, but it may turn out to be a non issue unless more DTS-ES discrete titles are on the market (probably will only be coming form Dreamworks at this point). Both of these decoding methods will be implemeted by the Sony "6.1" mode on the receiver.

As for component video switching, this unit most assuradely does that.

Before I make a decision to upgrade, I want to see what the new ES line will have regarding DTS ES discrete. I may just go with the new Outlaw audio pre-amp soon once some reviews are around.

J
Old 07-16-01, 07:41 PM

STR-DE1075 isn't this a 6.1 Discrete receiver? My Sony Dealer was telling me that the STR-DB1070 and this receiver listed here would have the hookup for the rear center channel, 6.1. Also with the option for the Virtual Matrix if one didn't use the rear speaker connection.
Correct me if I am wrong because this is the receiver (1070 ) that I am waiting on.

saintsfan
Old 07-16-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by saintsfan
STR-DE1075 isn't this a 6.1 Discrete receiver? My Sony Dealer was telling me that the STR-DB1070 and this receiver listed here would have the hookup for the rear center channel, 6.1. Also with the option for the Virtual Matrix if one didn't use the rear speaker connection.
Correct me if I am wrong because this is the receiver (1070 ) that I am waiting on.

saintsfan
This receiver does have a rear center channel hook up and will decode all DD EX and DTS ES titles in matrix, but I do not think it does DTS ES discrete which is found on only 2 titles to date (Gladiator, Haunting).

That still means you can do DTS ES matrix on the titles with the discrete track as well as DD EX, which is only a matrixed format, on every applicable title.

So yes this does have al hook up and amplification for a rear center channel and yes it decodes every DTS and DD ES/EX title but it will not do DTS ES discrete dicretely. Instead, the two titles w/ ES discrete will stilll be decoded except in ES matrixed form. Confusing enough for you?

By the way I do not think there will be many more ES discrete releases so don't even worry about that issue. It was mainly only DTS response to DD trying to one up them by saying they have a discrete encoding format, but in reality every DTS ES discrete mix requires a completely new mix costing more for the studio. It just does not make sense to spend that extra money on a track that very very few can utilize and is not that much different (if at all) from the matrixed version.

J
Old 07-16-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a few words of advise. If your going to purchase a sony receiver make sure you pay the extra and get an ES model. I purchased the Sony 555ES about 15 months about on line for around $550.00. The retail was over $1000.00. Try going to www.liquidprice.com and see what you can get there. Trust me on Sony ES. They seem to be the best for the money.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-01, 08:34 AM
mdX

the Sony DB line of receivers is also a very solid buy for the money. they have the build quality and some of the features of the ES line for a much lower cost
Old 09-08-01, 03:31 PM

Well I've been using my STR-DB1070 for several weeks now and I am very pleased. It's a HUGE improvement over my previous 545 model. It's makes my Definitive Tech's sound even better and as alot of Sony Receiver owners have complained about the hissing in these products there is none even with volume @ max and ear against speaker, 0.

This unit has discrete 6.1 output for a rear center channel or it will Matrix the DTS-ES titles between the two rears. The Equalizer and the on screen setup or wonderful to have. Each set of speakers can be tuned for amazing clarity.

saintsfan
Old 09-09-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don' think there is any big advatage to jump from the DB line to the ES line. The DB line is solid... it is however worth the price jump to go from the DE to the DB
Old 09-09-01, 08:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

How about the STR DE-875

hi guys...

I know this is a lower receiver than the ones you guys are talking about...

but is it any good?

which models have the infamous "hissing"?

=)

thanks!
mike
Old 09-13-01, 05:52 PM
Cool New Member

Just a few words of advise. If your going to purchase a sony receiver make sure you pay the extra and get an ES model. I purchased the Sony 555ES about 15 months about on line for around $550.00. The retail was over $1000.00. Try going to www.liquidprice.com and see what you can get there. Trust me on Sony ES. They seem to be the best for the money.
Liquidprice was great but they went belly up months ago.