Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is Contrast Ratio and why is it important?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-12-01, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at some Specs for some HDTV's and came across this. What does it mean? Why is it important? And how do you interpret the numbers?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-01, 07:07 AM

Anyone ???
Old 07-13-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't provide a good technical description but I can tell you that TV's come from the factory with the contrast set to full (100%)which brightens the picture but also shortens the life of the guns. Courtesy of Video Essentials mine is now set to about 1/3. Manufacturers try to have their TV's stand out on the showroom floor where competition is fierce and the lighting is not always condusive.
Old 07-13-01, 10:15 AM

I guess Jim's talking about the importance of properly setting contrast on a display, which is a different topic altogether.

I'm not the end all authority, so bare with me...
Contrast ratio is a ratio assigned to the degrees of noticeable grays between the video display's darkest (black) and lightest (white) shade. I think numbers like 100:1 to 200:1 are pretty descriptive of the kind of shades you'll see on a laptop LCD display (just guessing). Your typical desktop CRT monitors have noticeably better contrast. That's why laptop displays look "duller" than desktop monitors. The higher the contrast ratio, the less dull an image looks when shown on a set.

Interpretting the numbers, I'd say a 50% increase is when you can see a good difference in the quality of the image. Like going from a contrast ratio of 400:1 to 600:1. Others probably feel differently.
Old 07-13-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What he said