DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best DVD player in $200-250 range?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/121797-best-dvd-player-%24200-250-range.html)

marty888 07-02-01 10:05 AM

Looking to replace my year-old Toshiba (which has developed disk compatibility problems). Interested in a single-disk player - any suggestions?

BRDeckard 07-02-01 10:43 AM

SONY DVP-S560D DVD PLAYER
No contest.
Has all and any hardware/software features you might ever want.
I have it.
$205
Be happy.
http://www.pricescan.com/electronics...item505622.asp

reverb 07-02-01 12:50 PM

I would point out that, with due respect to BRDeckard, that model has been replaced and is no longer current. Also, with most systems the audio decoding is handled by the pre/pro or A/V reciever and that unused feature on a DVD player is often the only significant difference between a c$150 player and a c$250 (and a headphone jack;)). In other words, last year I would have chosen the 360 over the 560, saved money, and sacrificed nothing.

If you wish to spend $250, the new Sony DVPNS400D plays DVDs, CDRs, and CDRWs.

Snowball 07-02-01 01:31 PM

reverb - doesn't the DVPNS400D have a built-in DD 5.1 decoder?

matchpenalty 07-02-01 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Snowball
yes it does (and it can be had for under 200...

reverb 07-02-01 03:57 PM

Yes, which I don't care for, but I pointed out this model because if it's ability to play CDRs and the price point. Such a player is a new addition to Sony's offerings, and folks are always inquiring about CDR compatibility in players and referencing the Pioneers. Thus I would think it is very attractive for many here.

Personally I don't use a DVD player for music and would prob go with the DVPNS300B if buying.

speedzon21 07-02-01 07:16 PM

Why would you buy a new DVD player now when the new low-cost progressive scan players are just around the corner? In fact, the Sony models have already come out and the Toshiba SD-4700 (based on the SD-6200 progressive scan system) is slated for release in just another month with a street price below $300. That's a steal!

Snowball 07-02-01 07:21 PM

Is there any advantage in buying a progressive-scan DVD player if you don't have a HDTV or a widescreen TV?

reverb 07-02-01 07:38 PM

Is there any advantage in buying a progressive-scan DVD player if you don't have a HDTV or a widescreen TV?
If your TV can't do progressive, then no. And widescreen TVs are not all progressive, nor is all HD progressive.

BRDeckard 07-03-01 04:18 AM

Well I needed a built in DD/DTS decoder chip inside the player because my reciever doesnt, so I bought that model a year ago. Also, if a product is discontinued doesn't mean it's bad or there is something wrong with it. Sony replaces/discontinues their items every half a year.

But your recommendation for a newer DVPNS400D model is good, it is better if you want to watch your own CDR audio or video discs. I actually think I might upgrade heh, just sell mine on ebay.

BRDeckard 07-03-01 04:46 AM

Hey, can Sony DVP-NS400D play burned video cds? Does anyone have it, tried it? I like to get some quicktime trailers and other stuff off the internet and burn to a VCD, would be cool if this player could read these discs.

Snowball 07-03-01 07:53 AM

I'm also looking for a DVD player for college. I would probably get a new TV 27" or smaller to use with it. Looking to spend $200-$300 for the player, so I don't need anything fancy like progressive scan or DTS, or even a DD5.1 decoder. But I would like it to be able to play CD's, CD-RW's, VCDs, etc, and have enough outputs to be able to expand later. Also some nice features like a bit-rate meter would be nice too. :) Are there any other features I should be looking for? What is this "Video D/A Conversion rate"? Is 10-bit 27 MHz good?

Suggestions? Thanks.

Snowball 07-03-01 08:24 AM

Just a followup on my post above, I've been looking at the Sony DVPNS400D. It seems to be a pretty good player. But I hear Sony is coming out with the DVP-NS500V this fall, which will feature both DD5.1 and DTS decoding for $300 or so. Should I wait?

matchpenalty 07-03-01 09:01 AM

not if you don't need the dts decoder snowball. Check and see how many discs you have that are DTS. It may be better in the long run to eventually upgrade your receiver to DTS capability...

audrey 07-03-01 11:12 AM

Originally posted by speedzon21
Why would you buy a new DVD player now when the new low-cost progressive scan players are just around the corner? (snip)
but why pay for something you don't need? if the original poster doesn't have a TV capable of displaying a progressive signal and doesn't plan to buy one in the near future, he would likely be better off buying something really cheap now and waiting to get a progressive scan player when/if he upgrades his TV. in a year or two, PS players will be less expensive and perhaps better than what's on the market now.

BRDeckard 07-03-01 12:02 PM

Originally posted by matchpenalty
not if you don't need the dts decoder snowball. Check and see how many discs you have that are DTS. It may be better in the long run to eventually upgrade your receiver to DTS capability...
Oh it will have a DTS decoder too, not only DD5.1
I'll wait for NS500V model then.

Snowball, my DVP-S560D has a Bit Rate and layer meter, but this new NS400V doesn't, i used sony's own comparing feature.
It doesn't have a headphones plug either but I've got those virtual DTS/DD headphones so doesn't really matter to me, I just want it to play burned audio and video cds, which S560D and all those from the same series wont. Actually, none of them will play CDRs besides this NS400V. I guess NS500V will too.

Snowball 07-03-01 12:07 PM

Originally posted by BRDeckard
Snowball, my DVP-S560D has a Bit Rate and layer meter, but this new NS400V doesn't, i used sony's own comparing feature.
Hmm.. really? I was just looking at crutchfield.com and 800.com, and they both say the 400V has a bitrate meter...

Johnny Zhivago 07-03-01 03:35 PM

Sony DVP-S360

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

adoboboy 07-03-01 03:46 PM

i picked up the panasonic 31K from amazon for $179 sale (149 with coupon) but its $199 regularly. Use a coupon its cheaper I'm happy with the playback, and it plays vcds, cdrs,cd-rw, and mp3s. Plus its not a shitty apex.

But some good sites for dvd player review are

http://www.audioreview.com

http://www.vcdhelp.com

Maybe they'll helpl you out

BRDeckard 07-03-01 11:59 PM

Originally posted by BRDeckard
Hmm.. really? I was just looking at crutchfield.com and 800.com, and they both say the 400V has a bitrate meter...

Well, Sony's redone their site again, they change stuff around all the time, no Compare buttons are dimmed and don't work, I guess they are not done yet, but I'm sure I saw a couple of NOs in the compare table, one was about headphones the other was something about the bit rate menu.
Anyway, if you're going to buy one, definetly go with NS400V now, because of CDR support. It's actually the best player unless you need ES support in it or some 5-301 disc changer. But I think better to wait for that upcoming 500 model, if it is true, just for the DTS chip.
They also have nice visual settings, 2 cinema modes and various others for TV and sports or whatever else. Also over 6 virtual surround sound modes that transform your 2 rear speakers into 6 and more, also digital video enhancer that sharpens the image considerably with 3 levels, to make those old 80s movies look even better.

Adoboy, thanks for the info, it's just that ive got a Sony tv, sony speakers, sony subwoofer, sony reciever, sony VCR, sony remotes, sony headphones, sony cd player, sony MD player, sony goddamn battery charger even, and some other things im forgetting now, so I just cannot buy a dvd player that's not sony you know heh.

skar 07-04-01 11:28 AM

I have to second the Panasonic RV-31K or RV-31S (K is black, S is silver, I got silver). Great player, dual layers, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, VCD. Avoid a cheap progressive scan if you can't use it. Most of them output an inferior interlaced signal to a comparably priced non-progressive player.

At http://www.pricescan.com I see two sites selling the player for $167.

nekobus 07-05-01 08:54 PM

If you don't need progressive, the Pioneer DV-343 can't be beat. Plays CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, DVD-R. It eats discs that other players spit out. Fantastic picture and sounds great for use with audio CDs if you need it.

It also has a one year warranty, which many players lack, and is $168 at BestBuy this week.

Mark Holtz 07-06-01 02:04 PM

Originally posted by marty888
Looking to replace my year-old Toshiba (which has developed disk compatibility problems). Interested in a single-disk player - any suggestions?
If it's only a year old, it should still be under warranty. What discs are you having problems with? I would save myself the money and get the unit fixed, even if it means bugging Toshiba a bit and not having a player for a week or so. :)