Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me find a new powered sub woofer!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help me find a new powered sub woofer!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 10 and I really liked it, but it is messed up. I am willing to spend no more than 400 dollars, but I would rather spend less. What is the best one that I can get for my money. I am currently looking at the Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 12 or 15. Help me out please.
Old 07-01-01, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a search for Sony SAWM40. List is US$200. Street or Net pricing can be less than US$150.

Dave
Old 07-01-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any others?
Old 07-01-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this one:

http://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm
Old 07-01-01, 05:57 PM
Cool New Member

Recommend you take a look at the Velodyne CT100. It can be bought for as low as about $300.00, and has had numerous very good reviews.

You can check out reviews of this and many other subwoofers at:
http://www.audioreview.com

Reviews from a number of magazines can be found at:
http://www.ecoustics.com

Check website prices at:
http://www.pricescan.com

You can check ratings of online dealers at:
http://www.resellerratings.com

The Cambridge Soundworks subs don't have a very high rating in user reviews at AudioReview.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DavidY
Do a search for Sony SAWM40. List is US$200. Street or Net pricing can be less than US$150.

Dave
I second this! I own one & it ROCKS
Old 07-07-01, 01:44 PM
Banned

I really like the sound of the Yamaha Active Servo subwoofers, I used to have 2 of them in my home theater and I also had their car version in the early 90's, eventually they were sold to pay for "bigger and better" subwoofers (Infinity BU-150 & Kicker Solo-Baric) but ya know what the Yamahas sounded better. Not only do they sound fantastic but they look decent and they don't take up a lot of space

check it out:

[Edited by DPSinPA on 07-07-01 at 12:26 PM]
Old 07-07-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ended up buying the Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 15.
Old 07-07-01, 08:41 PM

JBL

I have the JBL PB15 and I am quite pleased with it. I must say, it is not too good for music...but its a true beauty for an HT. Not just that, I also like the aesthethics of it. BArely does it bottom out, and it has a good crossover.

It can be found at around $250.00 - $300.00 its very affordable (for HT standards).

Personally I would not buy a SONY sub. They bottom out easily and are simply weak, they are nothing more than toys. I've already made 2 SONY subs break down within a week of pruchasing them, they just can't take the heat of movies with lots of bass, such as SPR or Braveheart.

Last edited by Lokknez; 07-07-01 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-07-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You can probably find a cerwin-vega sub in you're price range I got my 12" cerwin thrrough a relative for $189 and I rules!!!

ShadowHawk
Old 07-08-01, 01:35 PM

Personally I would not buy a SONY sub. They bottom out easily and are simply weak, they are nothing more than toys. I've already made 2 SONY subs break down within a week of pruchasing them, they just can't take the heat of movies with lots of bass, such as SPR or Braveheart.
This statement is about as far from the truth as is possible in regards to the Sony SA-WM40.

I've had mine since October 2000, and have been amazed an how amazing this sub is. Incredible bass, NO bottoming out, and it can INDEED take the "heat" of every DVD movie I (and many other fans of the sub) have used with it, including the movies mentioned.

This sub is FAR from a "toy".

Alfer
Old 07-13-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Alfer

This statement is about as far from the truth as is possible in regards to the Sony SA-WM40.

I've had mine since October 2000, and have been amazed an how amazing this sub is. Incredible bass, NO bottoming out, and it can INDEED take the "heat" of every DVD movie I (and many other fans of the sub) have used with it, including the movies mentioned.

This sub is FAR from a "toy".

Alfer
If you listen anywhere near reference levels, and listen to bass intense discs (Titan AE, Toy Story 2, etc) and the Sony sub has never bottomed out, it probably has a limiter in it to keep it from reproducing extreme levels of bass (which it can't do), which will keep it from bottoming out, but is also keeping you from hearing alot of the low end bass in today's film soundtracks.
I am not knocking you or your choice of sub, but 'incredible bass' is something is dependent on what the listener thinks. If you have never heard a good full-range speaker set-up with capable powered subs, I'm sure the Sony sounds incredible to you.
Again, I'm not knocking you at all and please don't take it that way, I am just one of the many that think the Sony is not capable of producing clean, loud bass in a medium to large HT setting. But in the end, all that really matters is what YOU think, isn't it?
YMMV.
Old 07-13-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Either those...or spend a few extra bucks and buy a Miller/Kriesel powered sub. I love my 12" one.

Low end is around $400 at some places. Nothing like 'em in my mind....but of course...this is just my opinion.

Mines 4 years old and it sounds as good today as the day I bought it.
Old 07-15-01, 09:11 PM

Given. It might very well be I've had bad experiences with the Sony subs. But in comparison to others, the Sony is pretty weak. And are much too expensive for their performance.
Old 07-17-01, 02:04 PM
Cool New Member

Subwoofer near Television

Hi,
Anyone know how close you can place a subwoofer to a Television set? I'm looking at the JBL PB10 or PB12 and was wondering if they are shielded.

Any preference btwn the 10 and the 12???

Thanks
Old 07-17-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most subs aren't shielded for use next to a TV. I wouldn't go any closer than 4 feet away from the TV.

Best way to tell:

Place the sub and move it slowly toward the set and as soon as you see the bottom corner color become all screwy you are too close so back it up a bit until the color goes back to normal.

This is best done with the blue video input screen on so the whole screen is the same color.