Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My home theater is ALMOST complete......

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My home theater is ALMOST complete......

Old 06-30-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I really need is a good remote.

Someone recommended that I pick up the Cinema 7 from One For All, but I looked at that, and it seems OK, but I'm looking for something evil.

I'm torn betweens Sony's LCD Learning, Phillips Learning, and the Marantz Learning.

Anyone have any recommendations? Any good deals going on?
Old 06-30-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cinema 7 is evil...you are just looking for something pretty to show off...

Old 06-30-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use the regular remotes that came in the box like the poor white trash guy I am. But, I worked with a guy who had supposedly checked into all the various remotes on the market and ended up buying the Sony.

He said it had more/better features for the price. I don't work with him anymore, so I wouldn't be able to get any more info.
Old 06-30-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
The Cinema 7 is evil...you are just looking for something pretty to show off...

So?
Old 06-30-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
I use the regular remotes that came in the box like the poor white trash guy I am. But, I worked with a guy who had supposedly checked into all the various remotes on the market and ended up buying the Sony.

He said it had more/better features for the price. I don't work with him anymore, so I wouldn't be able to get any more info.
I use those remotes as well, but I currently have 6 and I'd like to just have ONE
That Sony does look tempthing.
Old 06-30-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Sony AV2100. This remote is excellent! Handles all of my components with no problems. I have almost all Sony equipment so it was already programed to work with most of my stuff. The learning function works well for the other non-sony products.

This remote replaced the six I was using (TV, receiver, DVD player, cable box, LD player & VCR)
Old 06-30-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check out the Radio Shack 15-1994 for $29.99. It's got kewl blue back-lit buttons & is a learning & macro remote.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1994

I've got 2 of them & they work great! Does not say it but it will control a DVD player too (of course). Volume punch-through & X-10 light control. I set up 3 special macros with mine:

Button 1: Movie Time... Dims den lights to 40%, turns off all other lights, plays DVD.

Button 2: Intermission... Brightens den lights to 100%, turns on guest bath & kitchen lights & pauses DVD.

Button 3: Resume Movie... Dims den lights back to 40%, turns off guest bath & kitchen lights & plays DVD

Sonic
Old 06-30-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have both a Sony 2100 and a Marantz RC 5000 (which BTW is essentially the same as the Philips Pronto). They are both great, but quite different in purpose, functionality, and price.

If you want an inexpensive LCD that's good to go out of the box with a minimum of effort the Sony is a good choice. The soft button labels aren't customizable, but most major functions are supported. The IR is powerful and does not require that you point the unit directly at the intended component. It also supports simple macros to facilitate routine chores like turning on/off all of your equipment.

The Philips/Marantz, however, is a very different product. If you like programming or endless tweaking and you want a remote that allows you to customize the GUI and create very complex macros one of these might be more appropriate than the Sony. Be warned though, most people who purchase these end up spending 20 to 40 hours customizing the interface.

Besides the ones you mentioned, the new Denon remote is also programmable and is getting good reviews.

To find out more about any of these remotes, check out the appropriate forums at: http://www.remotecentral.com

Old 06-30-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I highly recommend the Phillips Pronto. I've had mine for about a year now, and don't use any other remote.
Old 06-30-01, 11:45 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Sonicflood
Check out the Radio Shack 15-1994 for $29.99. It's got kewl blue back-lit buttons & is a learning & macro remote.

I've got 2 of them & they work great! Does not say it but it will control a DVD player too (of course). Volume punch-through & X-10 light control. I set up 3 special macros with mine:

Button 1: Movie Time... Dims den lights to 40%, turns off all other lights, plays DVD.

Button 2: Intermission... Brightens den lights to 100%, turns on guest bath & kitchen lights & pauses DVD.

Button 3: Resume Movie... Dims den lights back to 40%, turns off guest bath & kitchen lights & plays DVD

Sonic
That is so cool! I have one but I haven't got anywhere as far as you have with it. That remote has a very nice feel, doesn't it?

I got mine to handle my Apex 600A and Wega but I'm looking forward to doing more with it. What is the X-10 infrared receiver you are using?
Old 07-01-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
That is so cool! I have one but I haven't got anywhere as far as you have with it. That remote has a very nice feel, doesn't it?
Let me add to the clamor for the benefits of this great remote.
Old 07-01-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1994

Sonic
While I don't need anything NEAR that advanced as what you are doing, I will probably check this one out. Sounds very very cool
Old 07-01-01, 04:30 PM
Cool New Member

Looks like I am going to pick up the Sony Remote tommorrow at sears with a price match.

I would like to be able to control some lights with the remote. How do i go about this? I assume I have to buy the IR, any suggestions

Thanks
Old 07-01-01, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by X

Sonic

I got mine to handle my Apex 600A and Wega but I'm looking forward to doing more with it. What is the X-10 infrared receiver you are using?
It's an IR543 does IR to X-10. I ordered mine from Radio Shack. They have a different part number for it though. I'll see if I can find it & post.
Old 07-01-01, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by palmpower
Looks like I am going to pick up the Sony Remote tommorrow at sears with a price match.

I would like to be able to control some lights with the remote. How do i go about this? I assume I have to buy the IR, any suggestions

Thanks
You'll need the IR543 to receive the IR command & issue an X-10 code in response for starters. You'll also need the codes for X-10 control (IR). I guess you could buy a Radio Shack 15-1994, use it to teach the codes to the Sony & return the Radio Shack remote.?

The thing I hate most about Sony remotes is that the Volume & Channel buttons are on the bottom! Where were they during ergonomics class?

I'm a home automation nut! Let me know if any of you have any questions about H.A. and/or X-10 control specifically!

Sonic
Old 07-02-01, 10:04 AM

I've had my Marantz 5000i for nearly a year, and its now to the point that I can't remember how I got along without it!

It does take some time to perfect it (and every few months or so you notice something else you want to tweak), but I think that anyone here who is in to the hobby as much as most of us are would really enjoy the time spent.

Plus, I love the idea that I can basically have a "new" remote whenever I want to, by simply updating or changing or adding interface.

If you can afford it, you'll love it. But look at it like another component... so that justifies the price.
Old 07-07-01, 01:36 PM
Banned

I have a Phillips Pronoto and a One For All Cinema 7 - my avice get them both, the Cinema 7 is really easy to use but has limited functions compared to the Pronto, but its only $25 and well worth it
Old 07-08-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally posted by DPSinPA
I have a Phillips Pronoto and a One For All Cinema 7 - my avice get them both, the Cinema 7 is really easy to use but has limited functions compared to the Pronto, but its only $25 and well worth it
I agree! I have the Cinema 7. Great unit, and a GREAT deal. You might want to START with that, then you can use it a while and decide IF you need something more. And if you do, then what other features you want, etc, etc.