Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony MDR-DS5100 Virtual DTS/DD Phones

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony MDR-DS5100 Virtual DTS/DD Phones

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, I've just bought these and am really excited about them, this is the second generation issue, which added DTS decoder support.
Anyone out there owns these headphones? Got any thoughts about them.
I think they are invaluable when someone is sleeping and you wanna watch Spaceship Troopers at 3am. Or if you keep odd hours and live in a Condo like me.
I got a normal 6 speaker set up too, and I tell you, I can't see a difference between the phones and the "real" thing. Plus you hear a lot of obscure unnoticable sounds with the headphones that are usually overshadowed by others if listening through normal speakers.
I love these, they retail for $499 found for just $314.
Old 06-26-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love these! Picked mine up for the same price you paid. I've had them for about 3 weeks and you are correct, they really enhance the movie watching experience late at night when you don't want to bother the wife.
The sound is incredible. The battery life is great compared to my previous wireless headphones (Sennheiser T60's).
The only complaint I would have is that the transmitter works off of an infared signal instead of an RF signal. When I go into the kitchen I lose transmission (won't transmit between walls like my previous pair).
Overall I'm very pleased with these headphones.
Old 06-27-01, 04:38 AM
Banned

Yes, any wall or obstruction and you lose contact, it needs to be in direct line of sight, but it's better than RF because its transmitting digitally and therefore you don't lose the quality of the sound and there is no interference
Old 06-27-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BRDeckard
It's better than RF because its transmitting digitally and therefore you don't lose the quality of the sound and there is no interference
Couldn't agree more. No interference at all with these headphones. The quality is un-equalled (as well as the price!). Very happy with this purchase..
Old 06-28-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you guys find these phones for that price?
Old 06-28-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Where did you guys find these phones for that price?
I purchased mine from http://www.aaaprice.com . My cost was actually $317 plus $13 shipping. They are located in Brooklyn and shipped via UPS.
Old 06-29-01, 02:06 AM
Banned

Other ones are at eTronics.com
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...00&SVBName=218
Old 06-29-01, 09:44 AM

What output is required from the DVD to feed the main box? Sounds like a great deal. Would work great for a portable player or a lap top with DVD-Rom.
Old 06-29-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you goto the Etronics page, you can do this cool 360 degree view. Looks like it has stereo inputs and an optical input.
Old 06-29-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well another question then. How convincing is the surround effect on these phones. Do you actually get a sense of a soundfield being outside your head?
Old 06-29-01, 11:34 PM
Banned

There are 2 analog connectors, standard white/red for left/right RCA cables.
Also, which is what you should use, one optical input.
You will only get DTS/Dolby Digital if you use optical, analog will only get you 2.0 surround sound.

KnightSkywalker: there are 3 audio settings that you can try, and one of them is standard stereo. So during a movie, I just tried it out to compare, and man what a difference, when you switch back to Dolby Digital, it's like the sound immediately spreads around, going forward in front of you, and behind. The effect is great, I tried turning on my regular speakers, switching back and forth and there is no noticable difference at all. It doesn't sound like normal stereo headphones, no contest here. The sound seems to be definetly far away from your ears. I hate headphones because of the claustrophobic, locked in sound the produce and always preffered real speakers, but these are exceptional and have shaken my beliefs. I use them more than normal speakers now.

I've watched quite a few movies, the best effect you get is when someone is walking and talkin in the background, once someone dropped something and I instictively turned around to see if something fell. The phone ringing to the left and behind in one movie made me almost reach for mine, same ringer and my fax is right in that direction of where I was sitting heh. I can't say enough good things about them. If you have Good Guys around you, I think they have them on display, last time I went to that rip off store was over a year ago so i'm not sure.
Old 06-29-01, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by duckdogger
What output is required from the DVD to feed the main box? Sounds like a great deal. Would work great for a portable player or a lap top with DVD-Rom.
Either RCA stereo cables, analog producing only 2.0, or optical.
It will work great with either, I have a laptop with DVDrom, only beware that laptop dvdroms most likely dont have optical out, therefore you will not get any Dolby Digital and of course no DTS through them, just simple surround.
Old 06-30-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Deckard, I might really have to consider picking these up, since my free time is usually in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 06-30-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I ordered a set. Looking forward to firing them up.
Old 06-30-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I ordered a set. Looking forward to firing them up.
You won't regret it! Everything Deckard said is right on. The surround effect is incredible. I also do alot of early morning & late evening viewing and these headphones are the best I've tried. The surround effect is incredible, you forget that you have the headphones on (they are very comfortable!).
Enjoy your purchase!!
Old 06-30-01, 11:06 AM

Thnks BR. Understand on the Toslink out on a lap top but my home box has a digital coax out. Can't laptops be set up the same way allowing for DD?
Old 07-02-01, 08:57 AM
Banned

Yeah, glad you picked them up KnightSkywalker, enjoy.

Originally posted by duckdogger
Thnks BR. Understand on the Toslink out on a lap top but my home box has a digital coax out. Can't laptops be set up the same way allowing for DD?
I haven't seen a laptop with an internal built in DD or DTS decoder which you don't need with these headphones as the reciever/minitower has both chips built in, but I think there are PCMCIA cards with an optical out, which will let you get DTS/DD through that. Coaxial won't do you any good since there is no input for that in the headphones reciever.
Old 07-03-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These came today and I am honestly kinda iffy on them. I like the phones, very light, very comfortable, and the stereo sound is very nice.

But the real meat and potatos, the surround effect, well it is a mixed bag. I like the effect during music portions, and sound effects portions. Actually since they are of an open air design I was doing a little experiment where I was switching on my speakers, and then switching on the headphones to compare. Well I was watching 2001 and for a couple of seconds I became confused and thought I was listening to the speakers instead of the phones.

Now my main issue is the way the center channel is treated. It is given way too much echo, I guess this is supposed to fool you into thinking the speaker is infront of you. Honestly though they are starting to grow on me, and I know there is no way any headphone will even come close to a full surround set up.

I guess I can say still it is a mixed bag, I am going to give them a chance, but as I said in my opinion it is a mixed bag.
Old 07-03-01, 11:40 PM
Banned

These came today and I am honestly kinda iffy on them. I like the phones, very light, very comfortable, and the stereo sound is very nice.

But the real meat and potatos, the surround effect, well it is a mixed bag. I like the effect during music portions, and sound effects portions. Actually since they are of an open air design I was doing a little experiment where I was switching on my speakers, and then switching on the headphones to compare. Well I was watching 2001 and for a couple of seconds I became confused and thought I was listening to the speakers instead of the phones.

Now my main issue is the way the center channel is treated. It is given way too much echo, I guess this is supposed to fool you into thinking the speaker is infront of you. Honestly though they are starting to grow on me, and I know there is no way any headphone will even come close to a full surround set up.

I guess I can say still it is a mixed bag, I am going to give them a chance, but as I said in my opinion it is a mixed bag.
Haven't noticed any echo at all, not in surround, not in DD or DTS. If you hear echo then maybe sound comes a little late to one ear than the other, that is done to create an effect of the surround, so maybe the people that were talking weren't in the center channel, but somewhere on the right-front or off to the side you know. I'm telling you can hear much more and distinguish better in the headphones that with normal speakers and if your brain is up to speed on sound directioning. One of my friends doesn't have a sense of direction, both visual (gets lost a lot) and aural (not sure whether sound came from the front, or a little to the right, same with rear sounds). Read the included manual, the second booklet, it explains how they used a human figure to record audio signals from which the commands for the chip were taken, how the shape of the skull and surroundings affect the sound interpretation by the brain.
P.S. Hehe, with this "mixed bag" repetitions you sound like one of those guys from Fargo... hehe, so funny.

[Edited by BRDeckard on 07-03-01 at 09:42 PM]
Old 07-03-01, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ya..I think Im gonna barf...

Anyway I noticed the echo, or I guess I should say reverb from all audio that normally comes from the center speaker, even during my Police DTS cd. My buddy made the same comment about the reverb effect.

Maybe my head is just shaped wrong, or maybe my brain isn't all there (never been accused of that before )

Old 07-05-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried these out in Goodguys and I heard footsteps coming from behind me. I whirled around and there was nobody there. I was fooled by the headphones.

Very impressive.

Last edited by nekobus; 10-15-01 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-05-01, 10:48 PM
Banned

I think I know what you mean Skywalker, that echo you mentioning is actually a recreation of the sound as you hear it in a theater, in a big auditorium, with volume; It sounds very full like coming from huge speakers. They didn't want it to sound like in a living room I guess. Do you have a sound blaster platinum live 5.1 card in your pc with A3D or some similar virtual surround sound software. Well there you can try 3 dozens of various sounds in different shapes and sizes of a room, with various kinds of walls and padding. Sound is very different in a closet from that of a bathroom for example, or a padded psychiatric "guest" room or a hall.. etc. So Sony just used one of these effects, picking that of a large theater hall, therefore there is some echo, which actually makes the sound feel large and full.
Old 07-06-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that is the main issue. I guess I am expecting it to sound like my sound system when it is geared to sound like an actual theater instead. It is kinda like having to get used to different sound system. But as I said I am getting used to them.
Old 07-06-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I honestly have to say these things keep on growing on me. I think to some they are kinda like a 3d picture, some can see it, some can't. I think the effects of the sound are the same thing. Sometimes I just can't get past the fact I am listening to headphones.

I just have to fool myself sometimes. Today I put on Star Wars on my LD player, and put on the phones, I went inbetween phones and movie, and I fooled myself.

Just call me a head case.
Old 07-06-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I honestly have to say these things keep on growing on me. I think to some they are kinda like a 3d picture, some can see it, some can't. I think the effects of the sound are the same thing. Sometimes I just can't get past the fact I am listening to headphones.

I just have to fool myself sometimes. Today I put on Star Wars on my LD player, and put on the phones, I went inbetween phones and movie, and I fooled myself.

Just call me a head case.
Damn Head Case

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.