Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me go shopping!!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help me go shopping!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-01, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys. I have never bought a Home Theater System before, so im calling on everyones advice! I dont want entry level and i dont need high class stuff. something mid-level to high mid-level! Of course i plan on getting Monster cable for everyhing. I have looked at Harmam Kardon, Onkyo, and a few others, but could you please tell me what you would recommend, from the Receiver, DVD, and speakers!!! Please and Thank you a million!!!!

WoodiE
Old 06-22-01, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
I would shop at Jandr.com

Over the phone you can get a great discount deal, if you haggle with the guy. (The best to do, you win!)

I would get:

1) Sony Progressive 700 player (Also interlaced I assume)
2) Klipsh Reference Series
3) Yamaha receiver with DTS and 5.1 100watts per channel
Old 06-22-01, 12:27 AM
Cool New Member

how well are those speakers??? would i be better to go with polk, or infinity or anything else???

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-22-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The speakers are gorgeous at least in my book.

The fronts are towers (RF-3's). 40something inches in height, and two aluminum gold cones with a horn tweeter. The center (RC-3)also has two small aluminum gold cones with horn tweeter, and the surrounds (RS-3's) are wall mounted Wide Dispersion speakers. They have one small aluminum gold cone in the middle and two horn tweeters each one on side. The surrounds cover 180 degrees..so you don't know where the sound is coming from.

This set is over $1000, but it's worth it. All black, and I say, I am a happy camper. I seen polk speakers, but I don't like them. Once I heard the Klipsch sound, I was fooled many times by the Dolby Digital sound coming from these behemoths.

PS: I had the 4 towers one time, two were used as surrounds, but it was too direct (the surrounds) for my tastes.

More info at klipsch.com

Great price at jandr.com

[Edited by Pysonic on 06-21-01 at 11:14 PM]
Old 06-22-01, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks a million!!! Can i get anymore peoples advice???

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-22-01, 01:31 AM
Cool New Member

could u also tell me where i can buy these???
Old 06-22-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To buy the speakers? Check out jandr.com

I used the customer phone rep. Got the whole set for $1,300 or something like that..can't remember..I think I payed less the more I think about it.

I were you, I would first check them out. Tastes varies. I didn't audition these, I just bought them based on the old set I had which were monitors or as you say, a sub-sat system. (Small Klispch Speakers, but powerful! They are no longer produced by the way, they were the Klipsch Synergy System 6)

These RF-3 tower fronts that I am recommending kicks so much bass, I can lower my sub. I recommend for awesome sound, you should use towers for the fronts. The center though is huge, so that could be a problem. And the construction is top notch. Heavy speakers and manufactured very well.

The surrounds are a different story. They are light in weight and are supposed to be mounted on the wall 6 inches high as you're standing.

All these 5 speakers are black. There is the new line coming up, which now they are produced in cherry and a beige color. They are EXPENSIVE though. I can't handle that price for a set of speakers. There is always a certain money limit I can only reach, or otherwise, I feel like I got jipped.

(I was rich, I would pick them up)

The receiver that I am using for these speakers is the Yamaha 795 which is old and was out of production last year I think. It's 85watts per 5 channels. Great receiver, and it kicks considering I have powerful speakers. (Fronts are 225 watts each)

P.S: More opinions should also be said in this thread to further your decision. And remember, if possible, go audition them in person before purchasing eyes closed.

[Edited by Pysonic on 06-21-01 at 11:53 PM]
Old 06-22-01, 10:55 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info...can i get anymore advice???

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-22-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off, you have to give reference to how much your willing to spend. There is just too much stuff out there to make a blind recommendation.

I will go with the price range that everyone else has:

DVD Player

You dont need a progressive scan player unless you have a HDTV. So, unless you have one, I would say just buy a solid $200 player from a place like Best Buy (or you can find them online). I have a Toshiba and it works great.

Receiver

This is very important, maybe the most important part of your system. I have a Denon 2801 and love it. You can find it for $500-$800. Also look at Onkyo,Sony ES, Yamaha receivers in the same price range.

Speakers

I would go with the Klipsch reference series. Hands down, the best for the money. BTW: I dont think jandr sells klipsch by mail anymore, something to do with warranty not being valid (Im not sure though).

This should get you started. You're on your way to quality audio, once you start there is no going back! Good luck.

Old 06-22-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yikes!

We need to know more things?

How much are you willing to spend? You need a receiver, dvd player and all 5 speakers? How about a subwoofer?

Ok here is my .02!

Speakers are first. Go and listen to some and begin to think about placement and sizes.

Next is the receiver. It would be easier to buy this knowing what kind of speakers you have selected.

Last if the dvd player.

Check out a site like http://www.crutchfield.com. They have a catalog and alot of good advice aimed at first time buyers.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-01, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Receivers... Onkyo 595 & 696, Outlaw 1050, Denon 2801 & 3801 depending on budget. The 3801 is an incredible receiver. It has been discontinued (3802 is coming soon) so you may be able to get it for a good price, or you might want to wait and get the 3802.

DVD Player - Panasonic RP91. I haven't heard anything bad about this player yet. Another consideration is the Sony 700P, but it is supposed to have the Chroma bug.

Speakers - Not sure what your budget is here so I'll throw out several choices.

HomeTheaterDirect.com Level III's. Incredible sound for the money.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surround Package with the HSU VTF-2 subwoofer. Very accurate musical monitors, do OK for home theater, but not as good as the HTD Level IIIs.

I'm not a big Klipsch fan (just my opinion, some of our review staff love them), but I've never liked horn tweeters. They are incredibly efficient, but are way too bright for my tastes.

Check out Definitive Tech. and Atlantic Tech., both make some great sounding affordable speakers too. If your budget allows, you can check into B&W and M&K, a higher end speaker with big time performance.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-01, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

im willing to spend about 2000-2500. Yes i need a receiver, speakers, and DVD player!!! Does that help you guys??? Also i would like a DVD changer 5disk to 6 disk anything more would be an over kill for me!!!!

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-22-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Receiver:

I second what others are saying. I suggest Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and Outlaw Audio.

Recommended budget $500-$700

Speakers:

I would strongly suggest auditioning the PSB Image Series. These speakers sound incredible for both HT and music. One of the best values in all of Home Theater. Check out http://www.psbspeakers.com for more info and dealers. Other companies to look at are Paradigm, Mirage, and Energy.

Recommended budget $1000-$1500

DVD Players:

Unless you got a HDTV, save your money. I love my Panasonic RV-31 and it only cost $180. They make a 5 Disc changer called the CV-51. It should cost about $250.

Recommended budget $200-$300

[Edited by skar on 06-22-01 at 01:58 PM]
Old 06-22-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For speakers, I'm a long time Polk fan. That said, grab some CDs (and any DVDs you have) that you know inside out, take them to the stores, and audition the gear. Buy what sounds best to you
Old 06-22-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only want to add one thing

Instead of spending money on Monster cables you should go with http://www.bettercables.com.

Their cables are the best in the price class and they have a great warranty. Give em a shot you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-23-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jumbojp
I only want to add one thing

Instead of spending money on Monster cables you should go with http://www.bettercables.com.

Their cables are the best in the price class and they have a great warranty. Give em a shot you won't be disappointed.

At his price range, I think buying nice cables is a complete waste of money. Many people with real nice $5000+ systems use cheap cables because they don't believe that makes a difference. Everyone has their own opinion, but spending lots of money on nice cables for a sub $1000 system doesn't make any sense to me.

That being said, BetterCables is a nice place to go for cables for a top of the line system.
Old 06-23-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out the Outlaw audio receiver now on sale for $499. It does DD EX and DTS ES matrix. For that price I am almosted tempted to upgrade and get rid of my Sony DB series receiver which is no slouch in it's own right.

As for speakers, the best advice is to go and listen and choose what best suits your ears. Currently I am using the JBL Studio series and have nothing but good things to say about them. Theres alot of good speakers out there on the market. Go to your local higher end stero shop and try some out. That way you will have a basis forwhat you are looking for.

J
Old 06-23-01, 04:56 PM
Banned

Speakers never sound the same in your home as they do in the stores. In order to properly audition spekaers you have to in your own home with your own equiptment and all. Make sure you purcahse speakers from a retailer that will allow you to return/exchange them with in 30 days.
Old 06-23-01, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

Can someone tell me about Outlaw...i have never heard of them. Do others agree that they are a good company??? As for the cable deal, i would have to disagree with the person who said they dont make a difference. I have seen 1st hand that there is a difference!!!

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-24-01, 09:24 AM
Banned

I can't really say anythign abotu the Outlaw, I've only seen pictures of it and it has always looked cheap to me and the price seems to low for the specs - but that dosent mean its a bad product, its gotten a lot of positive reviews on this board so it should be worth checking out, although I can't see how it would sound better than a similar Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha.

As to cables the difference is between basic cables with practically no shielding and quality cables with much better shielding - as well as the gauge of the wire in the cable.

A great place to buy inexpensive quality cables is Lowes of all places
Old 06-24-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok we've got $2500 to spend.

For cables, what's in the box is good to go. If you want to spend more check out http://www.avconnect.com

For DVD, I'd get any entry level player. $250. Why go higher at this point?

For receiver, $800. I'd be looking closely at Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Marantz, or really just a good deal. They all sound pretty much alike and will be ok.

Speakers: $1500 left right?

Subwoofer, this is simple HSU VTF-2, you can't buy a better powered sub for under a grand, but it's only $499.

Down to $1000 for 5 speakers. this gets tight.
I can't recomend anything. You've got to go listen and see what you like. I don't like Polk, and I thing Klipsch sounds like crap on anything other than rock music. I'd check out as many speakers as you can. This is where it gets really subjective. I'd be listening to B&W, Tannoy, Def Tech, PSB, Energy, Mirage, and anything else I can find. The more you listen the better you're choice will be. The small B&W's are really nice and would be my choice, but it might not be YOUR choice.

One thing not in your budget is speaker stands for those small units you are buying. In a pinch, cinder blocks will works fine.
Old 06-24-01, 09:28 PM
Banned

Actually with that receiver budget he'd be looking at 7.1 so he'll need 7 speakers not 5
Old 06-24-01, 09:33 PM
Banned

Tannoy would certaitnly be one of the best speakers, however 5 or 7 Tannoy speakers would cost more than his entire budget. Cructchfield has the Infinity Entra a set of 5 plus the sub for $1000
Old 06-25-01, 12:32 AM
Cool New Member

where and what kind of receiver can i get for $800 that is 7.1???

Thanks

WoodiE
Old 06-25-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am happy with a complete speaker/subwoofer system from Atlantic Technology

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/

Is 7.1 a really good idea for a system in this price range?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.