Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony 5-Disc DVD / CD Changer DVPC660 any good?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony 5-Disc DVD / CD Changer DVPC660 any good?

Old 06-14-01, 09:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got one of those sale announcements from 800.com and noticed this unit for $299.94 (also get $50 gift check). Normal price is $349.99.

Anybody have an opinion on this model? I currently have a Panasonic DVD-RV30 that I bought last October from J&R for $200 and it has performed beautifully on every disc I've put in it (with the minor exception of losing a second or two of audio as it switches audio modes, most noticably on the Bring It On deleted scenes section).

Anyway, I am happy with the player, but with all the multiple-disc offerings coming down the pike it would be nice to have a changer to keep my potato time from getting interrupted.

I currently have a 32" JVC TV (aiming for a Sony KP-61HS30 this fall) and the Kenwood HTB (another great performer, espcecially in my apartment).

Bottom line: Am I going to be happy with this changer, or should I look for something a little more rubust?

Thanks for the opinions, and sorry for the rambling!
Old 06-14-01, 02:19 PM
Cool New Member

6 hours and no responses...

Ok...thanks for the opinions
Old 06-14-01, 04:56 PM

I have been happy with mine. I have had zero problems with it in 7 months. An added plus is being able to control the Sony multi-changer Cd players (50-400 disc) or the DVD changer (300). I have never had a disc fail to play.
Old 06-14-01, 06:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 650 which I've been very happy with. It even played a disc my excellent home theater computer had trouble with.

However, it took some getting used to the tray. The indentations for the discs are so slight I originally had trouble seating the discs properly. If you close it with the disc seated badly it gets mangled as the tray spins around looking for a disc to play. So if the 660 is the same, start out doing it in the light and be careful!