Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any owners of the Sony Progressive 700 model?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any owners of the Sony Progressive 700 model?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
There was a member earlier today who created a thread in which he needed help on his Sony HDTV and Sony DVD Player Progressive 700 model. I hope he found the help he needed..but damn I wanted to ask him questions about that unit!

1) Is it heavy like the interlaced slim ones? 560 type, etc.

2) How is the image?

3) Performance, how is the layer change? Added features?

4) Worth it?

Anyone has this player and would like to share some comments please do so. I appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 06-11-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I deleted my earlier post when I figured out what I was doing wrong (Didn't realize the component cables had to plug into the TV where the HDTV decoder would plug in). What are people doing that have both a Progressive DVD player and the HDTV decoder? I only have the one set of inputs on my TV?

To answer your questions below from what I can tell so far:

1)The player itself is extremely light. I also have the 7700 and there is no comparison in weight.

2)The progressive scan picture is quite incredible. I watched Vertical Limit and the picture is outstanding.

3)The layer change seemed normal. I haven't really got to test all the features yet but one semi-cool feature (which wasn't on my other player), when you stop the DVD your playing it brings up a picture of the DVD cover (some sort of screensaver thing I guess but looks pretty cool).

4)Worth it? So far I have to say yes. Thanks to a link in another thread in this forum I purchased it from onecall.com for a grand total of $314.60. They were giving 10% off of all DVD players (regular price $349), I also used a coupon code 2001ha25 that gave an additional $25 off which covered the price they charged for FedEx 2 day shipping.

Old 06-12-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Low RG

Thank you. Enjoy it.

I have the 560..but it's heavy. Love the build quality.

Do you know if it's as light as a Toshiba 2-disc loading dvdplayer. Those are extremely light and is poor building.
Old 06-12-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greetings,

Anyone know what deinterlacing chip this unit is using?

Genesis or Sage...etc...
Old 06-12-01, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Low RG
What are people doing that have both a Progressive DVD player and the HDTV decoder? I only have the one set of inputs on my TV?
Most likely they are lining it through their receiver that has 2 component inputs and one out. You line the out from the receiver to the one on the TV. Receiver then acts as a switch box.

I had to do this for my s-video connections. DVD and PS2 to receiver - receiver to TV.

If your receiver doesn't have component switch built in you can most likely pick up a switch box. Could run you 50-100 bucks though.
Old 06-12-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pysonic
Do you know if it's as light as a Toshiba 2-disc loading dvdplayer. Those are extremely light and is poor building.
According to the manual this player ways approx 5 lbs (My Sony 7700 weighs 15 lbs 7 oz's ).

Originally posted by Nefarious
If your receiver doesn't have component switch built in you can most likely pick up a switch box. Could run you 50-100 bucks though.
My receiver doesn't have any component input. Time to upgrade or get one of those switches you are talking about. I think I may wait a while until they are more digital channels available. I don't have the HDTV decoder yet. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-13-01, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cubanx
Greetings,

Anyone know what deinterlacing chip this unit is using?

Genesis or Sage...etc...
i've heard its the genesis.

anybody using this with an HS10?
can't decide whether to pick this and then sell it & pick up a really good one later when/if i get a FP or to just wait until oct. for the kenwoods or the phillips. i have a bunch of discs i'm holding off watching because they really need a progressive player to look great. till then, its just about all anamorphic movies on the menu.
$314 is a great price...