Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for new TV - advice request

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-11-08, 09:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to keep around $2000, 40inches or more. Wife watches a lot of digital cable, I watch a lot of movies and sports. I have approx 550 standard def DVDs. Plan to upgrade player in near future. I have been looking alot at the Sony 40" XBR4 (1080p) vs Pioneer kuro 4280 (720p). Maybe even consider Kuro 5080 (720p) since close in price. I haven't been able to decide btw LCD or plasma? Can anyone recommmend one TV vs the other? Any other sets I should consider? How important is 1080p at these sizes?
Any advice appreciated
thanks
Old 02-12-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My advice would be to find a good audio/video store and drop in and watch some tv's.
Old 02-12-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by undkid
Looking to keep around $2000, 40inches or more. Wife watches a lot of digital cable, I watch a lot of movies and sports. I have approx 550 standard def DVDs. Plan to upgrade player in near future. I have been looking alot at the Sony 40" XBR4 (1080p) vs Pioneer kuro 4280 (720p). Maybe even consider Kuro 5080 (720p) since close in price. I haven't been able to decide btw LCD or plasma? Can anyone recommmend one TV vs the other? Any other sets I should consider? How important is 1080p at these sizes?
Any advice appreciated
thanks

For what you are using it for, 1080p is really not important.

How far are you sitting from the TV?

I would avoid the 40-42" TVs, especially if you have 2k to spend. 40-42 sounds like a good size until you get it home and realize you could have easily went 50. I went 50 and after 2 weeks was wondering if I should go 57-60.

Plasma, to me, is the superior technology. Better colors, deeper black, etc. LCD gives you a big advantage if you are hooking up an HTPC or something, or maybe even playing a lot of games.

For 2k, you could go with a 50" Kuro for a about $2200 and it is a fantastic TV. Probably the best plasma on the market.

You could also spend $1300 and get a Panasonic Plasma (50"). The drop off in quality is not nearly as much as the drop off in price. The Panny will run a very close second to the Pioneer in terms of picture.
Old 02-12-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
My advice would be to find a good audio/video store and drop in and watch some tv's.

agreed. i would take it a step further and advise that you pick out a few TVs, go to AVS forums, search the model numbers, write down the recommended settings and recalibrate the TVs at the store if they allow. These stores dont always calibrate the TVs well.

Also remember that the environment you will watch the TVs in store are not the same environment you will at home...how bright or dark the store is, florescent lighting, etc.....so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-12-08, 05:29 PM
Cool New Member

I have been to Best Buy and Ultimate Electronics and looked at various TVs. I have tried out various settings on these two tvs. I watched both SD and HD DVD as well as cable vs satelite. I think the plasma has a better picture than the LCD as far as color and deep black, especially with plain cable. I already checked the reviews at CNET. I really like the pioneer, but am concerned if I need the 1080p, especially if I upgrade to a blue ray player. With 720 I am not able to meet the potential of the player. I was also checking if I was leaving any worthy TVs out of my search. I had been looking at a few samsungs and pannys but I think I like the pics better on the Pioneer and sony.
btw our couch is approx 10 feet from our current TV, a 27" samsung HD CRT, which has been great
thanks for the advice, I appreciate any I can get.
Old 02-12-08, 05:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Welcome to your new TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT568...2859711&sr=8-1

I own it, I love it.
Old 02-12-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I would avoid the 40-42" TVs, especially if you have 2k to spend. 40-42 sounds like a good size until you get it home and realize you could have easily went 50. I went 50 and after 2 weeks was wondering if I should go 57-60.

Plasma, to me, is the superior technology. Better colors, deeper black, etc. LCD gives you a big advantage if you are hooking up an HTPC or something, or maybe even playing a lot of games.

For 2k, you could go with a 50" Kuro for a about $2200 and it is a fantastic TV. Probably the best plasma on the market.

You could also spend $1300 and get a Panasonic Plasma (50"). The drop off in quality is not nearly as much as the drop off in price. The Panny will run a very close second to the Pioneer in terms of picture.
Sage advice, SoSpacey. I would go for the Kuro 5080. An absolutely awesome set. I've seen it sold online for just under 2k with free shipping. Keep an eye on www.onecall.com , www.6ave.com and Amazon.
Old 02-12-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
If ulimate pic quality is what you are after, imho...there is not much choice. The Kuro in 50".

I bought a Samsung LCD for the living room and it is "fine". But I do wish I would have gotten a plasma. With my super bright room I just didn't think it would go well.
Old 02-12-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We just bought this 52" Samsung LCD tonight - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT526...2873442&sr=1-2

I've never been a fan of Plasma and actually prefer the LED DLP over it as well. Plasma will give you a great picture so I can't dispute that.

Oh, you probably already know but if you need a mount or cables check out monoprice.com

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 02-12-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I agree with everything here. I have a 51" RPTV in my living room and just purchased a 42" Samsung HP-T4254 for my bedroom. I'm still astonished how much nicer the plasma is and "I" think my Tosh has a beautiful picture, but that plasma really looks nicer. Sure it's newer technology, but I never thought it would be that much.

As for what to buy. Samsung's new LCDs are NIIICE. I just prefer plasma. LCDs just look weird to me. It's all personal preference.

As for your budget. Man you can get A LOT of tv for 2k. I can tell you this. Get the biggest you can afford. If you go plasma there is a huge price jump in the consumer market to the big boys. Several thousand dollar jump.

I also say go to the stores and just stand and watch. I spent many hours just standing and watching.